Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #61
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
One thing I might mention about that vinyl and insertion. It was recommended that it be warmed up & stretched a bit before insertion. We did that & it still ended up pulling out 1 of our rivets later. I guess I would say to still warm&stretch, but maybe not too much & maybe a bit extra could be tucked around wheel well & held w/rivet or something (duct tape??) I just wish ours was a bit longer now as we can only try to warm back up w/hair dryer, re-stretch & re-rivet.

Anybody else want to talk about their 12v recepticals? I am just really intrigued w/why the manual says 3 but not everybody got 3. I sure could have used them!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
12volt

Anybody else want to talk about their 12v recepticals? I am just really intrigued w/why the manual says 3 but not everybody got 3. I sure could have used them!!![/quote]
I am curious...besides your medical device, what else do you want to use the 12v outlets for? I do have a little coffee maker...or some could use a small fan..what else. And do people actually use them!

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
12 v.

Hi Leigh and Dan,
Our 6.7 Minuet just has four 110v. outlets in it. One in the bathroom, inside the mirror/cabinet, one over the counter in the kitchen, one behind the gaucho (streetside) and one at the end of the front gaucho (streetside). We are often short on plugs in the "kitchen". Larry also wired another 10 v. outlet into the fuse panel under the front gaucho. He ran that wire to the curbside end of the gaucho. That gives me a 110 and a 12v. receptacle at that curbside area, which is near to the fold out table.
Since our original Dometic refrigerator is small we carry a Koolatron portable refrig. It runs on both 110 and 12v. When we are traveling we can set the cooler right there and it fitss perfectly. If we have a bunch of visitors coming we can plug the cooler into the plugs in the bath area too. One thing that is not so good is that the cooler draws the battery down really fast if only using 12v. so we only plug it into 12v. if we are plugged into shore power and all of the other receptacles are busy.
We can also use the 12v. to charge a cell phone there. We have a 12v. meter that Larry likes to plug in and monitor our battery condition too. So I guess that 12v. plug is pretty handy.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Thanks and Question on battery

Thanks Loudruff for the input. I do plan to get one of those portable fridges and the 12 v would be useful there.
Question: I am pretty uneducated about battery care. If I am hooked up to 110 power while parked, does this keep my battery charged and up to snuff? I understand that a Battery Float Charger would be good (or a Batery Tender) and necessary if stored and not hooked up to regular power. Any educator out there to help would be appreciated. Thanks

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #65
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello back to you both - On the 12v, we have a mouse repeller that can plug into it, we also have a small fan, but mainly we would have loved one up front because we have an converter (which many times we plug into the cig lighter in car) which we have used to charge the battery on an i-pod (17yr old) or the computer battery. My son always runs out of juice in the night when he wants to listen to his music player & does not want to have to go to car. Just would have liked to have 2 maybe. Guess we could attempt a re-wire or addition also?? May need some instruction at some point!!!!!!!!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet 12-volt Outlets

Greetings Leigh!

My '78 6.0 Metre Minuet came with only one 12-volt outlet. I have already had one added above the refrigerator for my television/VCR and TV Antenna Aplifier -- on the 6.0 Metre, there is wiring in this upper locker for the entertainment center so my Airstream dealer was able to drill a hole in the wall and access the 12-volt lead for that option which my coach didn't have. I too carry a small inverter to use with my laptop (and GPS system) and am planning to add another in the vicinity of the front lounge -- the converter is under the lounge so adding an additional 12-volt outlet won't be too difficult. I also will use the one near the front lounge for my Endless Breeze 12-volt fan -- with this third outlet, I will be able to have one Endless Breeze in the front and a second in the rear (the only factory 12-volt outlet in my coach is behind the bathroom mirror).

Kevin

P.S. -- Another location that the service technician who worked on my coach suggested for easy addition of a 12-volt outlet was to access the 12-volt wiring in the junction box for the range vent hood -- this location wouldn't have helped my television, but would have been a less than ideal solution for recharging the battery on my laptop.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #67
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Campman - Its my understanding that if you are hooked to shore power (110) you are not drawing from your battery. Only when boondocking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
On that subject.... We changed out our original converter/inverter? (never sure what its called) several yrs ago and w/the purchase got what is called an Intellepower Charge Wizard which we have never used, but I keep saying we should? It says it monitors the battery, making adjustments, which seems to me would help when using the 12V for this kind of usage (computer battery recharge?) so the trailer battery does not run low? Anyone else using one?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Battery 'wizard'

COArgosy78...That is interesting about the Intellipower Wizard. Have you installed it yet? Was it expensive? Does it have some sort of external monitoring panel? I hope someone else has feedback on the use of this item. This forum is a real boon to those of us who are on a steep learning curve with our 'new' old units. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #69
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
charge wizard

Sorry I didnt get back to this, busy trying to replace a few inside parts on the Moonunit and work. we changed out our old converter several yrs ago, but have never added the charge wizard. Its still in its wrapper. Our new converter, which many have added to their unit is the Intellipower 9100. It is working great, we are pleased to have done the change. The wizard came w/the converter (free). I can try to find the original post that got us started on the changout. I believe it had a link to the website for the Intellipower Converter. The website will probably give more info. Randy at bestconverter.com is who we used (he has been a member here) I believe there is a newer model since we purchased

I have another ?? that I tried to get answered on another post, but not much luck. It does not relate to just the Minuet, but I will try here to see what others might post. I want to buy a clock online - but the dimensions of the clock are limiting my place to hang it. Right now, looks like an outside wall over the stove is it. I just wondered if anyone has ever hung what is probably a somewhat heavy item on an outside wall of their unit, and if so, what did you use to hang it? I will need to be able to take the clock down regularly (battery/storage) but need something heavy duty to keep it up, so dont think anything like suction or velcros would work? Any ideas, anyone???

Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
I have another ?? that I tried to get answered on another post, but not much luck. It does not relate to just the Minuet, but I will try here to see what others might post. I want to buy a clock online - but the dimensions of the clock are limiting my place to hang it. Right now, looks like an outside wall over the stove is it. I just wondered if anyone has ever hung what is probably a somewhat heavy item on an outside wall of their unit, and if so, what did you use to hang it? I will need to be able to take the clock down regularly (battery/storage) but need something heavy duty to keep it up, so dont think anything like suction or velcros would work? Any ideas, anyone???
Larry and I reupholstered the Minuet and used some extra fabric and batting to do the upper caps at the ends of the cabinets over the gaucho streetside and over the kitchen stove. That meant having a nice backdrop to hang lightweight things. We chose the end of the cabinets over the stove to hang the clock. Looks nice. A simple cup hook screwed into the end holds up the lightweight clock and it can be seen from the gaucho.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Here is link to another similar Argosy Owners Thread

Argosy owners thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html

[ http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html ]

Maybe one of the moderators could push this up to the start of this thread.

And within that other thread is a link (dead) to another off-forum Argosy site. Does anyone remember it? Anyone know what became of it?
Seems it wasmentioned and linked in one of the first few posts .
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #72
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
DDrummer - I remember that site! (discontinued one) Dont know what/where it went or why. There was another one that had lots of pictures w/yr of production that I kept in my favorites in my computer, but dont seem to find that one anymore either??

Loudruff - I had thoughts of useing the endcap on the streetside, but the clock dimensions are too big 12 1/2 x 11 and I have other ideas for those endcaps anyway. I'm still thinking about over the stove above our spicerack if I have a good way to attach, but still need to be able to take off to store/replace battery. Have not had many replies at either post to indicate people have been able to. One used velcro, but w/a lightweight picture. I also saw a pic where a mag rack was attached to outside wall. That, I think would be fairly heavy (w/mags in it), but it might have been a factory install? I'm waiting for a reply in e-mail from vendor to give me exact weight. Maybe w/that info, I will get a better idea

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Trailer Information --Fred's Airstream Archives

Greetings Leigh!

You may be thinking of Fred's Airstream Archives. Not too very long ago, he added a section dealing with Argosy Trailers and Motorhomes. This link will take you to the index page -- scroll down to find the section with links to the Argosy section.

Another possibility would be R.J. Dial's Vintage Airstream site. This link will take you to the index page, and the Argosy section is very near the bottom of the page.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #74
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Kevin - Its was Fred's! Thanks. I should send him a pic of our 6.7 w/front dinette!!! He has a batch of 6.0's, but a need for some of the bigger units, dont you think?

Hey, while your available, do you have any ideas about my dilemma on the outside wall & clock situation? You are good at getting info...maybe someone has asked this before & you know where to find it?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greeting Leigh!

Yes, Fred is limited on the Minuets of 6.7 and 7.3. I am sure that he would welcome some additional photos for his archives. It seems like I always think of R. J. Dial's site, but I really like the layout of Fred's site.

A thought on the clock front. One possibility would be to go to a crafts store and purchace an electric clock kit. With the clock kit in hand, it is relatively easy to choose an object to transform into a clock. Basically the biggest part of the project is drilling the center hole for the clock hands -- as examples, I have seen the following:
  • A car or truck wheel cover or hubcap converted to clock.
  • A stainless steel sauce pan cover -- remove center handle, insert mechanism -- presto-chango -- a clock is born.
  • A Melamine plate transformed into a clock
  • A wooden or metal trivet transformed into a clock
  • A small, stainless steel skillet drilled and transformed into a clock -- I have considered locating a small Revere Ware skillet for this purpose -- the copper bottom when polished would go well with the copper exterior trim and orange interior trim on my coach -- my plan is to use a heavy-duty cup holder attached under one of the roof lockers to display the clock.
Depending upon what the clock is based upon, simple hook could be enough -- or even velcro fasteners. My coach has accessory coat hooks installed on several walls that I use to hang things -- these are quite stable, and I have yet to have anything fall from one during transit -- these are the double-pronged coat hooks that were sold in the Airstream store during the time period of our coaches. I believe these basic clock kits are about $20.00 in the craft store (they are available without numbers, with arabic Numerals, or with Roman numerals).

Kevin

P.S.: One of the WBCCI Seminars that I attended suggested utilizing pop-rivets to attach hanging devices for pictures, etc. -- basically, use similar fasteners to what you would in your house -- only use pop-rivets to attach to the aluminum walls. Another suggestion was to use 1/4" sheet metal screws for the purpose as an alternative
AIR #827
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #76
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
clock

I'm still waiting on a reply by e-mail to the weight of this clock, but thought I would try to post pic for a better idea of what I am referring to. I really like this artist's work, and he had been busy creating other great sculptures/clocks for RV's. Take a look
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Argosy Owners..Little by little have been fixn things on the 79' 6.7..Attacked the water holding tank today. It holds water ok, pump seems to work . Trouble is draining the tank. I have turned the drain valve evrey which way and all I get is a drip. Ideas?
Squid
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Squid!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Argosy Owners..Little by little have been fixn things on the 79' 6.7..Attacked the water holding tank today. It holds water ok, pump seems to work . Trouble is draining the tank. I have turned the drain valve evrey which way and all I get is a drip. Ideas?
Squid
There are seveal potential problems including:
  • A partially blocked vent hose -- in my area, spiders and mud daubers have been known to build their nests in such a way that they block the vent opening in the filler inlet.
  • A worn out valve or one that is partially blocked by sand and/or minerals contained in the water that has been used in the tank -- the plastic valves in the Minuet aren't particularly sturdy, and often need more frequent replacement than the metal valves used in the older coaches.
  • The drain hose could be kinked or the opening could be plugged or partially plugged with road debris, mud dauber nests, or other materials.
  • If the tank hasn't been sanitized lately, there may be organic materials partially blocking the water draw fitting.
The fresh water tank drain does not drain the tank quickly under the best of circumstances. On my 6.0 Metre, it can take the better part of three hours for the tank to drain as completely as is possible. I have found that it can also help to slightly speed the draining process by opening the fresh water fill.

Good luck in resolving your fresh water tank drain issue.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Yep

Yes, yes, yes to all of what Kevin said! We have replaced our valve. Ours drains a little faster though. About 30-45 min. does it most of the time. Larry empties ours after each campout and refills with fresh before we leave on the next one during summer months. Larry uses a bottle brush up the drain spout to remove mud, road debris etc. That will probably do the trick.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thanks Kevin,cleaned out the drain hose...that was all it took. Thanks!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote