Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Kevin, the other thing I found very odd in that brochure - Argosys without the front panaromic window! Wonder if they were doing a bit of cost-cutting, or maybe they were running out of the wrap windows (since no Airstream had them at that date)....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Kevin, the other thing I found very odd in that brochure - Argosys without the front panaromic window! Wonder if they were doing a bit of cost-cutting, or maybe they were running out of the wrap windows (since no Airstream had them at that date)....

Tom
I didn't catch that -- hadn't really looked that closely -- was too shocked to find that such a brochure had been published. Another inconsistency is that the florrplans show just a single center front window while the one coach pictured has the wing windows from the contemporary Airstream line.

Kevin

This gets more curious all of the time -- it does appear that there was an unerlying economic issue pushing the developments.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Hello fellow Minuet owners! A mystery has been bugging me about my 77 6.0Metre.

On the streetside, near the rear, about five feet up, there is a little crystal-like thing on the outside. What is it?

I've seen it in other pics of Minuets, so I know I'm not alone.

Thanks
Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
little crystal-like thing

tom, it lights up when you plug into shore power, when your trailer and shore power have the same 'phase', black wire to black wire, it llights up. some electrical code i guess, jeff
acgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks! I, ummmm, can't say that it's ever lit up (and we've obviously had it plugged in to shore power, both at home and camping). I'm going to go on the premise it's busted, rather than figure that every outlet I plug it into is screwy.

Got to say, I was hoping it lit up when the gray water tank was full - now that would be nice to know...

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #166
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have that on my Argy too, Tom! Never knew what it was either. And I've never noticed it lit.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Skip, only your Argosy has one - none on the Overlander? Again proof of the excellence of Airstream's "budget" line.

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

I am not certain, but I believe that the reverse polarity light came along around the time that the Univolt became standard. My '64 Overlander had such a light, but you had to open the one-stop-service-compartment to see it as it was mounted on a panel just inside the stree-side of the compartment. I don't know precisely when these lamps were placed on the outside wall . . . . my guess would be 1969 or 1970, but that is only a guess. The little light should only illuminate when there is a problem - - I have only seen one of mine illuminate once -- it was in a campground and I requested a site on a different electrical circuit in hopes of getting away from the problem.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
correct

Kevin's post is correct. Originally, this lighted jewel was supposed to indicate reversed polarity. On two occasions, we have seen trailers where these lights were "repaired" by owners that did NOT understand their purpose. They made theirs a power on indicator light. This was not their main function. I am sure that this will add to the confusion of the next owner. A reversed polarity condition may indicate that the trailer shell is positively charged. In damp conditions one might get a "tickle" when YOU provide the ground to the trailer when you touch it.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #170
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
thanks for the info on the little light, mine is on and has been in different camp sites, when i step out and ground the shell , no tingle is felt, battery is charged, so what is the correct lite, clap on clap off, best, jeff
acgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #171
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
off

The light should be OFF when the unit is plugged in to correctly wired outlets.....UNLESS the previous owner messed with it. As we said, several previous owners couldn't figure it out and they "fixed" it by rewiring. So now it may light up to indicated that the electricity is "on". You will have to do some more research on your particular wiring.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #172
1 Rivet Member

Waynesville , North Carolina
We just bought a Minuet yesterday!! We haven't even towed it home yet. So excited and will no doubt be askng lots of questions!
TerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #173
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Leigh, I had the same problem with my inner fender covers. To me, it looks like the tires "rubbed" thru. My solution was to use 20 mil pipe tape. I patched the holes the best I could. I did all this last summer and when I checked last night, the tape was still in place.
Jim
enmudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #174

vancouver , British Columbia
Hey Forum Friends,
I'm in the middle of replacing my sagging, water-logged orange countertop in my 1978 6.0 minuet (formerly gergstuff's from this forum). My dilemma is, as is often the case: should I fabricate an identical facsimile or should I redesign a new one from scratch. What might sway me is if someone out there is holding onto an original countertop in ok shape (in orange or green) that they might want to get rid of! I could also use other interior parts such as overhead kitchen cabinets and curved tambour hardware. if anyone knows of anything stashed away and available, I'd happily pay for shipping to the pacific northwest. thanks forum!
chad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
You know, the orange countertop in my Minuet is one of the features that really drew me to the trailer. But it's starting to delaminate in places, so it won't be around forever.

Got to say, I would probably replace it with a new countertop with a "Boomerang" mid-century-modern-like laminate with aluminum diner-table-like surround. I've also seen some lovely hardwood countertops - IIRC, Royce (who posted earlier in this thread) has pics of one in his gallery here.

Tom
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #176

hello minuet peeps again... in the end my saggy counter is getting replaced with a modified butcher block ikea special - arborite in vintage harvest orange or key lime green is more $ than the ikea counter alone so that did it for me. I'm now wrestling with the bulkhead between the kitchen and shower now that the kitchen is temporarily out and getting reinforced with aluminum bar... Question: do the upper cabinets and the gold anodized aluminum moulding holding in the bulkheads have to come out to remove the bulkheads? And the door jam? looks all interconnected and nasty! thanks from those who have been there before. Thanks, chad.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #177
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Chad - Don't know that I can help you specifically, but, if you have a camera handy - that seems to help others to give you the best answers to your problem. Also, you might want to do a search or look the the "FORUMS" area for Interior section, as there are other AS trailers w/the same equipment and someone w/one of those who has done a complete interior overhaul may have posted (pics and all) There are some people who have done a great job of interior redesign or renewal of their AS and put all on posts to help the rest of us. Hope this helps. Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of AS and in particular the lovely ARGOSY.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #178

thanks, leigh. i have perused the argosy/airstream interior forums and i haven't found anything that applies to the minuet's particular aluminum interior. the problem may be that the screws that hold the door jam to the floor are hidden underneath the plywood subfloor that has been laid down over the original aluminum floor. thus, the door jam will not come out without taking up the floor, or chipping out part of it at very least! I noticed this anomaly when i reinforced the wimpy aluminum sheet of my kitchen cabinets, which were also tagged to the floor with brackets that tucked under the plywood subfloor. when i reinstalled the cabinets, i put the angle tabs under the counter instead, so the floor could trim right against the cabinets without covering the screws, and the kitchen can be removed without digging under the plywood floor. everything i learned about minuets i learned from this forum both pre and post purchase. I actually found my minuet in the forum. it was formerly gergstuff's. incidentally, there is a very nice mostly original 6.0 minuet for sale from a dealer in langley, b.c. near me. it is also cross listed on craigslist vancouver. they want $9k for it (can funds) but it appears to be nicer than most i've seen. thanks for the advice, as always. C
Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
6.7 Hooked up (3-21-10)

I snapped this photo of a 6.7 a few blocks from my home. It had a California license plate.
After reading this entire thread I feel like I just took and passed Minuet 101. I have my own idea about why the metric sizes...it seems like during Jimmy Carter's administration that the U.S. was "moving to the metric system" just like the rest of the world. Yeah, like that happened.

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	98585  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello to all on this Argosy thread! We are happy to announce that we are new members of this group. We'll pick up our new-to-us '78 Argosy Minuet in two weeks after the sellers complete a few re-do's such as putting on new tires and battery for us, reworking some cracks in endcap fiberglass and painting to blend in with interior fiberglass panel walls, working on tambour under sink area to operate more smoothly, and a few other small fixups. We've decided to downsize from our loved 31' Classic Limited, and this little trailer will certainly do that for us! It's just repainted so she's pretty as a freshly-laid creamy egg. She's clean as a pin inside, and I was hooked as soon as I stepped into her light-filled interior and saw the big windows surrounding the little coach. She'll feel like camping outdoors with indoors comfort. We'll have lots of adjustments to make after our large comfy Airstream, most essential the whole issue of lacking a dedicated bed, but we choose to look on this change as an adventure we're embarking on, so....here we go! Pictures soon to follow, and deep appreciation to her sellers who share a love for Airstream and cared about where their little Argosy might go. Now we have the same task to do to rehome our marvelous "Gypsy." We'll love our little newcomer, and look forward to many trips around the country, now being able to pull into those scenic tiny sites where our big AS could not go. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote