Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by enmudad View Post

My goal is to replace both the interior and exterior lights with LED. Since most of the camping I do is boondocking, power usage is very important to me. The exterior lights are easy, has anyone found fixtures for the inside? ...

Jim,

Sounds like you are making great progress. Here is a link to one solution for the interior lighting. I am redesigning for gen 2 and will make two more for my Minuet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...tml#post543385

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #114
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
New Axle AT LAST!

Well, I decided to post my good news on this thread as it might come in handy for other Minuet owners in the future. We took the "Moonunit" down to Fowler, CO over Mother's Day weekend and left her w/T&R Trailer. (Royce - really enjoyed meeting/talking w/Rich & felt very comfortable leaving our pride & joy w/him). She will have a NEW Torflex Axle in about 3 wks

I am soooo looking forward to having her insides not shaken/jolted about any more! Some of the screws (mainly on the side gaucho) have been pulled out of the wall because she was on a very flat, worn out axle for the last couple years.

One thing I would like to ask - has anyone who has had the Torflex axle installed also had the easy lube option done? And are you happy you did?

Also, we discussed the angle of the arms w/Rich a little bit & he indicated that the Torflex angle is a bit different than the Henschen - 21.5 as opposed to 22.5?? He recommended we go w/10 on the arms for clearance on some of the mountain dirt roads to campgrounds here in Colorado. Anyone have thoughts on this? I saw that Jim brought up the clearance/height issue back a page. Did you get your axle put on Jim? and did you get the clearance you wanted?

I will hope to post pics of before and after here soon. Also, any good info that might relate to the Minuets and Torflex axles in particular will be posted.

I sure am excited! Yippee!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #115
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hey Leigh,

My axle is due here today. I'm hopeful that I can pick it up before 5:00 pm.
After reading most of the post about the axles, I decided to go with a Dexter, 3500 lbs, 45 degree down angle. I saw where most people used 30-35 degree of down angle for their replacement axles, so I don't think another 10 degrees is going to hurt. I'm not concerned with the higher center of gravity, nor am I concerned about the possible "shock" to the trailer with the greater angle. My plan is to install the axle as is first. After a quick trip to the mountains, if I'm not happy with the clearance or just being able to get it out of my driveway, then I am going to install an additional 2" x 2" tube steel along with a new plate to bolt the axle to the trailer.
Maybe not the easiest way, but clearance is a BIG deal to me. I spend so much time in the mountains, on old washed out logging roads, sometimes we must re-build the roads just to get the trailers in. Throw in a good rain with the run-off and it is tough to keep the 2x6 planks & blocks from being washed away!
I'll take some photos and try to give an honest report of my trials, good or bad.
Jim
Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #116
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Jim - Nice to talk to you, looking forward to hearing about your (experiment??!!) with the new axle.

I talked to Rich (our installer) yesterday & he said our original axle was put on w/22.5 degree UP!! which, even when new, would have made her lower than most??? We too are wanting to make sure of clearance on dirt roads, altho I doubt we will take her on logging or real rough roads as you are contemplating. We went w/what most have indicated, the 22.5 degree down putting her about 4" higher than she is now
. Hope that does the trick.

We anticipate it being ready around the 1st-4th of June. I'm going to look for a pre new axle pic to post along w/new axle so we can see height diff. You did not say if you went w/EZ lube?

One other question for anyone. Has anyone determined a good spot to mount a spare? I have seen pics w/it mounted at rear hooked to trailer, but that seems like it would impede getting into the back area bumper for stuff?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
One other question for anyone. Has anyone determined a good spot to mount a spare? I have seen pics w/it mounted at rear hooked to trailer, but that seems like it would impede getting into the back area bumper for stuff?
The mounting shown on many period photos as well as factory photos of some Minuets is behind the LP tanks on the tongue. I am planning to find a welder who can fabricate a mount in that location for my Minuet (and probably my Overlander as well).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
Leigh
Replacing mine also. Am getting price on Duro-Torque with a 30 degree drop. Should raise trailer 3-4 Inches. Argonaut 20 replaced his. I think he has the same trailer as you.
Squid
Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
spare

We have a Minuet 6.7 Argosy 1978. The spare tire sits right behind the propane tanks and tucks down in the frame. There is no specific hold down or mount for it. Gravity keeps it in place and to prevent theft there is a cable through the spare tire and the top of the propane tanks and down around the frame which is secured with a padlock. This arrangement has worked for 30 yrs.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #120
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Guys~ thanks for the quick response

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the spare tire mount on the front of your trailer? Rich said he could fashion one for us if we want - I have the next couple weeks to decide (well, actually maybe only this next week since he needs time to make it), but I would like to have some idea of what it might look like as a guide. The idea that the tire might just sit there wedged is intriguing too altho not sure I want to chance it bouncing off while traveling and creating a hazzard

Also, if anyone has the EZ lube can you give me comments yea or no way!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Hello Argos
I often return to this thread when I have a puzzle regarding Argosy. I just read Kevin's overview back near begin of thread. But lo I did not find the model years which Argosy existed or I should say were built.
First and second generation please. And mohos seperate.
Also years of Minuets.

I just read that certain '80 Caravels used "narrower" Argosy frames.
Would this have to be Minuet frames? Or was there a known difference in the chasis and running gear of the full Argosy TTs of 1st gen?
Any other date certain info would be a great addition to Kevin's overviews.

Lastly would one of you go to this post and verify if you know please? It concers a 1981 Excella II. And it being "Minuet like"
>>HERE>>>http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...57&postcount=8

thanks
drummer

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #122
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey DD - I'm going to hope that Kevin checks back here as he is the known authority on the Argosy/and Minuet lines of Airstream. I can tell you that he has mentioned in other posts that the Minuet was only manufactured from 1977 thru 1979. I don't know about other AS trailers width - was only aware that Minuets were less wide that the regular Argosy. I guess I love our Minuet so much, I never check out any other info on the other AS's (unless it relates to the Minuet. Sorry!)

Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

Mont-Laurier , Québec
Here is where mine is located...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Hi Guys~ thanks for the quick response

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the spare tire mount on the front of your trailer? Rich said he could fashion one for us if we want - I have the next couple weeks to decide (well, actually maybe only this next week since he needs time to make it), but I would like to have some idea of what it might look like as a guide. The idea that the tire might just sit there wedged is intriguing too altho not sure I want to chance it bouncing off while traveling and creating a hazzard

Also, if anyone has the EZ lube can you give me comments yea or no way!
Here is where mine is located... See picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	80261  
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Drummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Hello Argos
I often return to this thread when I have a puzzle regarding Argosy. I just read Kevin's overview back near begin of thread. But lo I did not find the model years which Argosy existed or I should say were built.
First and second generation please. And mohos seperate.
Also years of Minuets.
  • First Generation Argosy began production in 1972 and continued through 1979.
  • Minuets were introduced in 1977, and during that model year there were both standard 20 foot Argosy coaches produced as well as the 6.0 Metre Minuet. It is not clear by the data that I have precisely when the 6.7 and 7.3 Minuets were introduced.
  • I don't have the precise dates for the Motorhomes nor the second generation coaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
I just read that certain '80 Caravels used "narrower" Argosy frames.
Would this have to be Minuet frames? Or was there a known difference in the chasis and running gear of the full Argosy TTs of 1st gen?
Any other date certain info would be a great addition to Kevin's overviews.
There has been a tremendous amount of speculation regarding the 1980 Caravelles. They we 7.0' like the Minuets and were offered in the same three floorplans with the only marked difference being that the 22' (6.7 Metre) Caravelle was a tandem axle if my notes are correct. Whether this was done to utilize inventoried (or contracted) frames for the discontinued Minuets hasn't been confirmed or denied so far as I am aware. I have seen both the 20' and 24' Caravelles, and the floorplan is essentially the same as the similar sized Minuets.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #125
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Adore - thanks for the pic! It looks like you cut out a portion of the aluminum under your Argosy. Did you fashion something above the spare so that mice, critters don't get in? We have had trouble w/the little meeses and dont want any place where they might decide to jump in.

I was looking for a pic of the front of our Moonunit & will try to post so you all can see our set up. There are some rubber like tubes (my husband told me what they are, but I forget) attached to the front right where we might mount. I'm guessing we could move them - but might like it if others can give their thoughts?

Also, I am following a thread called "Cooper Custom Trailer Plus tires" because we are looking for either a spare or new tires for trailer w/old tires as spares. Would be interested if anyone has ideas about what is on that thread or ideas about tires in general. We put Marathons on her back 5yrs ago and no problems, but hear they are now made in China and not so good????

This place is THE BEST for getting great info for our trailers - I so appreciate everyone!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #126
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Moonunit front

I hope my pic will show up here so you all can see those hoses.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...gosy_3-med.jpg