1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Squid: I just checked and the actual cost of the total drain and valve replacement, including parts such as the vacuum breaker, was just a little over $400.
Kevin: This is probably a stupid question: In your 6.0 is there an underbelly under the holding tanks at the rear of your unit. My unit's underbelly was replaced prior to my getting it, but it doesn't go all the way to the rear. Looking at it, it appears that this is correct. What do you say. Also, in cleaning your fresh water tank, what do you you folks use...bleach, or other chemicals????? Thanks
On my Minuet, there is an access panel measuring approximately 2' x 2' below the black water tank, and another near the dump valve assembly. I am fairly certain that these have been added over the years as the plumbing at the rear of my coach has needed service on a regular basis due to being drug when entering/exiting driveways with swales at the end. The underbelly should enclose all of the area below the coach with openings barely large enough for any of the fixtures protruding below the frame cut into the underbelly -- any gaps can become a means for unwanted critters to enter.

Regular Clorox Bleach (generic is fine) is the usual recommendation for sanitizing. There are several similar methods discussed on the Forums, but the general process is covered in this thread.

If you find the odor of chlorine objectionable after sanitizing, there are two alternative rinse methods that can be used. The easiest and less time consuming is to buy an inexpensive gallon jug of white vinegar -- empty this into the empty fresh water tank and fill with water -- run each of the water using appliances to circulate this mixture through the system and allow it to remain in the system for several hours or overnight. When I use this method, I flush the system with one tank of fresh water. One caution with this method is that it can loosen hard water deposits blocking faucet aerators (I take mine off and soak them in white vineagar overnight to be sure that they are ready for the seasons travel).

The second method was recommended to me by a veteran WBCCI member, but I have not tried this solution to a lingering chlorine smell. In this method, bring one quart of water and 3/4 cup of baking soda to a rolling boil. Mix the soda water with at least one gallon of cold water and add to the empty, sanitized water tank. Fille the tank with fresh water and circulate the mixture throughout the system and allow to sit several hours or overnight. With this method, it was suggested that the system be flushed twice before being placed into use.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #86
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
renovations, upgrades, etc.

Hey Squid - I hope you think of taking some pics of your work on the 6.7metre while you are working on her/him? Its always good to have the record for future reference as well as for others who may need the visual help. I personally love to see what others have done to their Minuet.

Campman - did I give you enough info on the Intellepower & Wizard? If I can get my husband to install, I will be sure to post any additional info here.

Hey, I wondered if anyone has ever seen a set up like in this pic? Wonder if they were/are concerned about backend weight/butt sag (of which there was a very long post done waaaayyyy back)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minuet with box.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	71431  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

The last time I saw the coach pictured in your post was about three years ago when the second owner was trying to sell it; and it is my understanding that it did change hands. The photos posted with the for sale ad showed a fairly nice original interior in Argosy Orange. I would hate to think what that rear mounted bin does to hitch weight -- my Minuet is ideal in its OEM form; but with that addition I would anticipate too little hitch weight.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
Thanks Dan, Yes my underbelly is jacked-up! That's's why I am taking it to a dealer. Want it fixed right!
I see some of the forum members have there take on cleaning the fresh water tank. I sent off for the manual from airstream if you want to know what they say. Let me know and will forward.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
Question..Have a original swiss made gas/elec fridge, no workie..the guy I bought it from said all I had to do was pull frige ,remove coil and have re-built??? He gave me a name and number of someone in Corpus Christi Tex. that does this for around 300-400$...Thoughts???
Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Squid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Question..Have a original swiss made gas/elec fridge, no workie..the guy I bought it from said all I had to do was pull frige ,remove coil and have re-built??? He gave me a name and number of someone in Corpus Christi Tex. that does this for around 300-400$...Thoughts???
If the price proves to be accurate, it is approximately one-third the cost of a new RV refrigerator. Another consideration is the warranty on the rebuilt coil unit -- length and what is covered.

I have a preference for the 3-Way RV refrigerators that also operate on 12-vot DC so when my original Dometic 2-Way RV refrigerator quits working, I will likely go with a new Dometic 3-Way RV refrigerator so that I can have the 12-volt option when traveling (I like to travel with my LP tank valves closed). The problem with going to a new Dometic is that the cabinet will need to be modified as the new refrigerators aren't exactly the same size as the original -- a secondary issue is that cabinetry is vinyl clad aluminum and rigging fillers for the opening can prove to be a bit of a problem.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Hi Squid: I have the manual for the 79 on CD...bought from that guy in Canada who has all those on eBay. I don't think it says anything about cleaning tanks. I will check. Perhaps Airstream has some special publication on it, but doubt it. Actually, Overlander's comments on cleaning are about as good as could be and are pretty standard types of cleaning for things of that nature. Gosh. Overlander sure works hard to keep the rest of us happy, doesn't he?

To finish the underbelly on my unit...that back part under the black tank,etc, I have a local source for excellent grade of aluminum sheet where they will cut it and in a couple of cases for my installation, bend it on the edges. I will do the installation myself and save a bundle. I did find some old 3/8 self tapping bolts with pieces of the original aluminum on them. Also found all the holes previously used for the self tappers, so will go that route (not rivets).

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #92
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Squid - The Argosy manual basically says what Kevin did about cleaning fresh water tank, altho it mentions baking soda also.

As far as your fridge goes, we have the original Dometic in our unit, which has been giving us trouble for about a year. It freezes almost everything in it. Along time ago, I made a copy of a post that started in Airforums, which discussed that problem and in it was the name of a company that does RV refrigerators. It said they were the best I got out my Moonunit papers & looked it up. Their name is Crane RV Refrigeration and their #707 552-0337 (hope that is still right, you might Google). They might be able to give you some info on the phone to help w/your particular fridge. It says they are in California. Hope that helps.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Centerville , Texas
1977 6 Metre Minuet

We have had our Minuet for about eight months. We took it on a 6000 mile vacation this last summer. It has aluminum floors. We did a redesign on the interior because the trailer had to be functional for us. We converted the dinette to a permanent bed and converted the side sofa to a sofa/dinette combo. It works great as we stay in it for up to six weeks at a time. See pics.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #94
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello Duo - And thanks for posting your info You said see your pics. Do you have more than 1? I would love to see what you did to make your Minuet work for you. I have high hopes of someday being able to take our Moonunit on a loooong trip to see many sites. Like to see how others make their unit functional for that. If you have come across anything in your trailer which you wonder about or items that have contributed to your comfort within, let us know. I like sharing about anything Minuet!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #95

Currently Looking...
Clarklake , Michigan
I just dragged my 1979 Minuet 7.3 to Fulton, Tx. for at least the winter. I bought it a year ago and am the third owner. Just changed out the dump valves and waste line plumbing, installed a neat amplified rooftop tv antenna for local high def and repaired a big dent in the rear roof quadrant where former owner backed into a tree. Everything else is original. Looking for the striping (mine are three shades of blue) for replacement and the vinyl seaming that fits into the aluminum extrusion covering the rivets around the perimiter. Any help there?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Centerville , Texas
77 Argosy Minuet

Here is the link to the thread that contains the pics of the interior of our Argosy. Inland RV in Coronado, Ca, has all the inserts. We purchased new inserts to cover our rivets in the shower there. They also had the belting for the outside of the RV as well, in several colors.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...e-41958-2.html
Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #97
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Welcome to you Chris - Wow, lots of Minuets in Texas Might have to create a Minuet Rally someday. We have relatives/friends in the Austin area & my oldest son has wanted to get down there for some big music festival they have every year!!

As far as the beltline vinyl, you might also want to check w/C&G Trailer. They bought alot of AS items (I just got replacements on the vinyl endcaps for the side gaucho), and I think they have a pretty fair price on their items. Ck both places - the blue replacement vinyl is pretty standard now and so not hard to find like the orange or black. Rod is who I talked to at C&G. Will you post some pics sometime also??!! Let us see how you make it yours PS C&G #800 662-3790

Duo - enjoyed going to the link & seeing your inside pics. It looks lovely. Do you find that even after you have done all you think you want to do, that sometimes the bug hits to do more?
Want to talk more about your 30' of bath insert replacement. Ours got painted by PO & is now chipping off. Was it hard to put in?
Was surprised in your link to see more Minuet owners who only posted here a few times. Wonder what has become of them???

Both of you come on back any time.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

Centerville , Texas
Bathroom insert replacement

On our last vacation, we went to Inland RV while we were in California and bought the insert in addition to other things while there. I got the impression from them that installation was going to be a very tedious task, however, it turned out to go in very easy with a little wedging help from a flat head screwdriver. I was very please with the outcome, since the original had cracked, broken and become very brittle. I purchased about 30' of the material and it was rolled up and I put it in while we were at our campsite in Palm Springs.

Our next project will be to have the exterior cleaned up and repainted. The previous owner had painted the end caps with a roller and the paint is not an exact match. Our plan is to have all dents removed and painted professionally.