4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Here is link to another similar Argosy Owners Thread

Argosy owners thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html

[ http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html ]

Maybe one of the moderators could push this up to the start of this thread.

And within that other thread is a link (dead) to another off-forum Argosy site. Does anyone remember it? Anyone know what became of it?
Seems it wasmentioned and linked in one of the first few posts .

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #72
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
DDrummer - I remember that site! (discontinued one) Dont know what/where it went or why. There was another one that had lots of pictures w/yr of production that I kept in my favorites in my computer, but dont seem to find that one anymore either??

Loudruff - I had thoughts of useing the endcap on the streetside, but the clock dimensions are too big 12 1/2 x 11 and I have other ideas for those endcaps anyway. I'm still thinking about over the stove above our spicerack if I have a good way to attach, but still need to be able to take off to store/replace battery. Have not had many replies at either post to indicate people have been able to. One used velcro, but w/a lightweight picture. I also saw a pic where a mag rack was attached to outside wall. That, I think would be fairly heavy (w/mags in it), but it might have been a factory install? I'm waiting for a reply in e-mail from vendor to give me exact weight. Maybe w/that info, I will get a better idea

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Trailer Information --Fred's Airstream Archives

Greetings Leigh!

You may be thinking of Fred's Airstream Archives. Not too very long ago, he added a section dealing with Argosy Trailers and Motorhomes. This link will take you to the index page -- scroll down to find the section with links to the Argosy section.

Another possibility would be R.J. Dial's Vintage Airstream site. This link will take you to the index page, and the Argosy section is very near the bottom of the page.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #74
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Kevin - Its was Fred's! Thanks. I should send him a pic of our 6.7 w/front dinette!!! He has a batch of 6.0's, but a need for some of the bigger units, dont you think?

Hey, while your available, do you have any ideas about my dilemma on the outside wall & clock situation? You are good at getting info...maybe someone has asked this before & you know where to find it?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greeting Leigh!

Yes, Fred is limited on the Minuets of 6.7 and 7.3. I am sure that he would welcome some additional photos for his archives. It seems like I always think of R. J. Dial's site, but I really like the layout of Fred's site.

A thought on the clock front. One possibility would be to go to a crafts store and purchace an electric clock kit. With the clock kit in hand, it is relatively easy to choose an object to transform into a clock. Basically the biggest part of the project is drilling the center hole for the clock hands -- as examples, I have seen the following:
  • A car or truck wheel cover or hubcap converted to clock.
  • A stainless steel sauce pan cover -- remove center handle, insert mechanism -- presto-chango -- a clock is born.
  • A Melamine plate transformed into a clock
  • A wooden or metal trivet transformed into a clock
  • A small, stainless steel skillet drilled and transformed into a clock -- I have considered locating a small Revere Ware skillet for this purpose -- the copper bottom when polished would go well with the copper exterior trim and orange interior trim on my coach -- my plan is to use a heavy-duty cup holder attached under one of the roof lockers to display the clock.
Depending upon what the clock is based upon, simple hook could be enough -- or even velcro fasteners. My coach has accessory coat hooks installed on several walls that I use to hang things -- these are quite stable, and I have yet to have anything fall from one during transit -- these are the double-pronged coat hooks that were sold in the Airstream store during the time period of our coaches. I believe these basic clock kits are about $20.00 in the craft store (they are available without numbers, with arabic Numerals, or with Roman numerals).

Kevin

P.S.: One of the WBCCI Seminars that I attended suggested utilizing pop-rivets to attach hanging devices for pictures, etc. -- basically, use similar fasteners to what you would in your house -- only use pop-rivets to attach to the aluminum walls. Another suggestion was to use 1/4" sheet metal screws for the purpose as an alternative
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #76
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
clock

I'm still waiting on a reply by e-mail to the weight of this clock, but thought I would try to post pic for a better idea of what I am referring to. I really like this artist's work, and he had been busy creating other great sculptures/clocks for RV's. Take a look
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
Argosy Owners..Little by little have been fixn things on the 79' 6.7..Attacked the water holding tank today. It holds water ok, pump seems to work . Trouble is draining the tank. I have turned the drain valve evrey which way and all I get is a drip. Ideas?
Squid
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Squid!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Argosy Owners..Little by little have been fixn things on the 79' 6.7..Attacked the water holding tank today. It holds water ok, pump seems to work . Trouble is draining the tank. I have turned the drain valve evrey which way and all I get is a drip. Ideas?
Squid
There are seveal potential problems including:
  • A partially blocked vent hose -- in my area, spiders and mud daubers have been known to build their nests in such a way that they block the vent opening in the filler inlet.
  • A worn out valve or one that is partially blocked by sand and/or minerals contained in the water that has been used in the tank -- the plastic valves in the Minuet aren't particularly sturdy, and often need more frequent replacement than the metal valves used in the older coaches.
  • The drain hose could be kinked or the opening could be plugged or partially plugged with road debris, mud dauber nests, or other materials.
  • If the tank hasn't been sanitized lately, there may be organic materials partially blocking the water draw fitting.
The fresh water tank drain does not drain the tank quickly under the best of circumstances. On my 6.0 Metre, it can take the better part of three hours for the tank to drain as completely as is possible. I have found that it can also help to slightly speed the draining process by opening the fresh water fill.

Good luck in resolving your fresh water tank drain issue.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Yep

Yes, yes, yes to all of what Kevin said! We have replaced our valve. Ours drains a little faster though. About 30-45 min. does it most of the time. Larry empties ours after each campout and refills with fresh before we leave on the next one during summer months. Larry uses a bottle brush up the drain spout to remove mud, road debris etc. That will probably do the trick.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks Kevin,cleaned out the drain hose...that was all it took. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
More insite please... Curtains are shot. Have seen pic's of mini-blinds in some of the Argosy's. Would curtains be better or less hassel? What about the curve windows in front? I thought I saw a pic some where with wood shutter's. A fix'n to bite the bullet and take to Airstream dealer and let them change out my leaking black and grey tank. go over bearings,brakes, etc. Want to be road worthy...and I guess I am not as handy as I thought I was!
Squid
Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Squid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
More insite please... Curtains are shot. Have seen pic's of mini-blinds in some of the Argosy's. Would curtains be better or less hassel? What about the curve windows in front? I thought I saw a pic some where with wood shutter's. A fix'n to bite the bullet and take to Airstream dealer and let them change out my leaking black and grey tank. go over bearings,brakes, etc. Want to be road worthy...and I guess I am not as handy as I thought I was!
Squid
I have mini-blinds in mine on all but the deep-wrap wing windows. I would not recommend them without drapes over them for privacy (due to the curvature of the wall, the mini blind will not hug the center of the wall even when attached with clips at the bottom of the window) <the drapes are equpped with snaps that hold the edges close to the walls> and room darkening if you plan to stay in many campgrounds with street lights. There are several sources of replacement draperies for your coach -- the Airstream factory, James P. Ambruso, Inc., Fowler RV Interiors, Silver Threads here on the Forums, and a few others as well. Fowlers refurbished the interiors of both of my coaches, and I am thrilled with the quality of their work.

If you haven't considered it yet, you might want to consider a rock guard for your front windows. The deep-wrap wing windows are no longer available in clear glass -- the only factory replacement available are the deeply tinted versions currently utilized in Airstreams -- and these replacement windows are very expensive. The Minuets utilize the current Airstream three-piece rock guard, but the center section must be modified (narrowed) to fit the modest width of the Minuet.

If my Minuet is any test, you may find that your holding tanks are ok -- my leaks were all the result of the dump apparatus being drug when the coach was towed over dips in driveways, at intersections, etc. My dealer replaced the seals in the dump valves, and repaired several fractured drain pipes near the rear bumper and all was well.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Squid: It is great to share on this forum isn't it??!! I totally agree with Kevin re adding rock guards. It was the first thing I did with my 79 6.0 minuet for the reasons Kevin mentioned. I, however, did not put the center rockguard in. That window is cheaper to replace. I did find that with my truck, I can see straight through the back window through the two trailer windows and see all the traffic, a great boon. With the center rock guard in place it would not be as visible. Also, if you do go with rock guards, I found that the extensive instructions on this site were not really the direction to take. Read them and read the instructions in the rock guard package...back and forth, and I think you will see that installling the hinges LAST is the way to go, just as the packaged instructions say. I did mine in less than a couple hours with little help. Re the sewers...I had my whold sewer system and valves redone and it cost about $500. There were enough problems with the drains that doing the whole thing was a needed thing. You will find that most reputable dealers will be honest with you and tell you what you do need and not gouge you. Peace of mind was worth it to me. But again, in terms of peace of mind, get the rock guards before you travel too many miles. The set of three costs about what one single window would cost I think. Keep posting and enjoy your 6.7.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Squid: I just checked and the actual cost of the total drain and valve replacement, including parts such as the vacuum breaker, was just a little over $400.
Kevin: This is probably a stupid question: In your 6.0 is there an underbelly under the holding tanks at the rear of your unit. My unit's underbelly was replaced prior to my getting it, but it doesn't go all the way to the rear. Looking at it, it appears that this is correct. What do you say. Also, in cleaning your fresh water tank, what do you you folks use...bleach, or other chemicals????? Thanks

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote