Name:	DSCF0567.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	70882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0570.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	70883  

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #58
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Campman - Wow, so glad you added your trailer to this post. Too bad my red/orange writing didnt turn out as nice as the inside of your Minuet.
You have been quite busy! and it seems, lucky to have 3 of those 12V plugs! I can't figure out how it was decided during manufacturing the number to go in each trailer, as the manual indicate there should have been 3 in ours too?
I am glad that so many Minuet owners are posting & maybe gathering more info here on the unique characteristics of our wonderful camping transporters.
Thanks to all who keep posting and giving important pics and other goodies. I hope there will be many more to come.

Lou/Larry - thanks again for that pic of your axle. That helped alot!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Aftermarket hubcaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
10. Bought aftermarket hubcaps just like the old, original ones of steel, but these are cheaper stuff...still look nice.
Where did you get them?
A. Doré
Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Hubcaps

Bonjour, Doré....Found one of those stores where a guy has made a business of 'found' hubcaps, new and fancy ones, and various wheels...a huge store. It is just a local operation and has been here in MS for many years. These two hubcaps are pretty cheap stuff and so close to the look of the original ones that few will notice. I waxed both sides well and will continue to do so in order to preserve them. Have saved the old, original ones in case I find a place to do re-chroming at decent price.
By the way, with you being in Québec, I wonder if you have ever visited the Gaspé. I just sold a campground there, near Percé, which I built from scratch and ran for 14 years...Camping Tete d'Indien, now owned by a young guy from Montréal...Gaspé Camping

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #61
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
One thing I might mention about that vinyl and insertion. It was recommended that it be warmed up & stretched a bit before insertion. We did that & it still ended up pulling out 1 of our rivets later. I guess I would say to still warm&stretch, but maybe not too much & maybe a bit extra could be tucked around wheel well & held w/rivet or something (duct tape??) I just wish ours was a bit longer now as we can only try to warm back up w/hair dryer, re-stretch & re-rivet.

Anybody else want to talk about their 12v recepticals? I am just really intrigued w/why the manual says 3 but not everybody got 3. I sure could have used them!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
12volt

Anybody else want to talk about their 12v recepticals? I am just really intrigued w/why the manual says 3 but not everybody got 3. I sure could have used them!!![/quote]
I am curious...besides your medical device, what else do you want to use the 12v outlets for? I do have a little coffee maker...or some could use a small fan..what else. And do people actually use them!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
12 v.

Hi Leigh and Dan,
Our 6.7 Minuet just has four 110v. outlets in it. One in the bathroom, inside the mirror/cabinet, one over the counter in the kitchen, one behind the gaucho (streetside) and one at the end of the front gaucho (streetside). We are often short on plugs in the "kitchen". Larry also wired another 10 v. outlet into the fuse panel under the front gaucho. He ran that wire to the curbside end of the gaucho. That gives me a 110 and a 12v. receptacle at that curbside area, which is near to the fold out table.
Since our original Dometic refrigerator is small we carry a Koolatron portable refrig. It runs on both 110 and 12v. When we are traveling we can set the cooler right there and it fitss perfectly. If we have a bunch of visitors coming we can plug the cooler into the plugs in the bath area too. One thing that is not so good is that the cooler draws the battery down really fast if only using 12v. so we only plug it into 12v. if we are plugged into shore power and all of the other receptacles are busy.
We can also use the 12v. to charge a cell phone there. We have a 12v. meter that Larry likes to plug in and monitor our battery condition too. So I guess that 12v. plug is pretty handy.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Thanks and Question on battery

Thanks Loudruff for the input. I do plan to get one of those portable fridges and the 12 v would be useful there.
Question: I am pretty uneducated about battery care. If I am hooked up to 110 power while parked, does this keep my battery charged and up to snuff? I understand that a Battery Float Charger would be good (or a Batery Tender) and necessary if stored and not hooked up to regular power. Any educator out there to help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #65
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello back to you both - On the 12v, we have a mouse repeller that can plug into it, we also have a small fan, but mainly we would have loved one up front because we have an converter (which many times we plug into the cig lighter in car) which we have used to charge the battery on an i-pod (17yr old) or the computer battery. My son always runs out of juice in the night when he wants to listen to his music player & does not want to have to go to car. Just would have liked to have 2 maybe. Guess we could attempt a re-wire or addition also?? May need some instruction at some point!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet 12-volt Outlets

Greetings Leigh!

My '78 6.0 Metre Minuet came with only one 12-volt outlet. I have already had one added above the refrigerator for my television/VCR and TV Antenna Aplifier -- on the 6.0 Metre, there is wiring in this upper locker for the entertainment center so my Airstream dealer was able to drill a hole in the wall and access the 12-volt lead for that option which my coach didn't have. I too carry a small inverter to use with my laptop (and GPS system) and am planning to add another in the vicinity of the front lounge -- the converter is under the lounge so adding an additional 12-volt outlet won't be too difficult. I also will use the one near the front lounge for my Endless Breeze 12-volt fan -- with this third outlet, I will be able to have one Endless Breeze in the front and a second in the rear (the only factory 12-volt outlet in my coach is behind the bathroom mirror).

Kevin

P.S. -- Another location that the service technician who worked on my coach suggested for easy addition of a 12-volt outlet was to access the 12-volt wiring in the junction box for the range vent hood -- this location wouldn't have helped my television, but would have been a less than ideal solution for recharging the battery on my laptop.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #67
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Campman - Its my understanding that if you are hooked to shore power (110) you are not drawing from your battery. Only when boondocking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
On that subject.... We changed out our original converter/inverter? (never sure what its called) several yrs ago and w/the purchase got what is called an Intellepower Charge Wizard which we have never used, but I keep saying we should? It says it monitors the battery, making adjustments, which seems to me would help when using the 12V for this kind of usage (computer battery recharge?) so the trailer battery does not run low? Anyone else using one?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Battery 'wizard'

COArgosy78...That is interesting about the Intellipower Wizard. Have you installed it yet? Was it expensive? Does it have some sort of external monitoring panel? I hope someone else has feedback on the use of this item. This forum is a real boon to those of us who are on a steep learning curve with our 'new' old units. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #69
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
charge wizard

Sorry I didnt get back to this, busy trying to replace a few inside parts on the Moonunit and work. we changed out our old converter several yrs ago, but have never added the charge wizard. Its still in its wrapper. Our new converter, which many have added to their unit is the Intellipower 9100. It is working great, we are pleased to have done the change. The wizard came w/the converter (free). I can try to find the original post that got us started on the changout. I believe it had a link to the website for the Intellipower Converter. The website will probably give more info. Randy at bestconverter.com is who we used (he has been a member here) I believe there is a newer model since we purchased

I have another ?? that I tried to get answered on another post, but not much luck. It does not relate to just the Minuet, but I will try here to see what others might post. I want to buy a clock online - but the dimensions of the clock are limiting my place to hang it. Right now, looks like an outside wall over the stove is it. I just wondered if anyone has ever hung what is probably a somewhat heavy item on an outside wall of their unit, and if so, what did you use to hang it? I will need to be able to take the clock down regularly (battery/storage) but need something heavy duty to keep it up, so dont think anything like suction or velcros would work? Any ideas, anyone???

Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
I have another ?? that I tried to get answered on another post, but not much luck. It does not relate to just the Minuet, but I will try here to see what others might post. I want to buy a clock online - but the dimensions of the clock are limiting my place to hang it. Right now, looks like an outside wall over the stove is it. I just wondered if anyone has ever hung what is probably a somewhat heavy item on an outside wall of their unit, and if so, what did you use to hang it? I will need to be able to take the clock down regularly (battery/storage) but need something heavy duty to keep it up, so dont think anything like suction or velcros would work? Any ideas, anyone???
Larry and I reupholstered the Minuet and used some extra fabric and batting to do the upper caps at the ends of the cabinets over the gaucho streetside and over the kitchen stove. That meant having a nice backdrop to hang lightweight things. We chose the end of the cabinets over the stove to hang the clock. Looks nice. A simple cup hook screwed into the end holds up the lightweight clock and it can be seen from the gaucho.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote