Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
axle mounting plate

Leigh,
If you are referring to the angle iron that the axles bolt to and in turn is bolted to the frame of the trailer, we use a bottle jack on that angle iron for changing the tires. Our trailer is equiped with crank down stabilizers. These mount further fore and aft of the axle mounting plates. These mount to the frame at one point and a cross member toward the center of the trailer. For long term parking the trailer can be raised by a jack placed on each axle mounting plate. The stabilizer jacks are not designed to lift the trailer. At least that is what we have/do.
Larry and Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #42
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Leigh,
If you are referring to the angle iron that the axles bolt to and in turn is bolted to the frame of the trailer, we use a bottle jack on that angle iron for changing the tires. Our trailer is equiped with crank down stabilizers. These mount further fore and aft of the axle mounting plates. These mount to the frame at one point and a cross member toward the center of the trailer. For long term parking the trailer can be raised by a jack placed on each axle mounting plate. The stabilizer jacks are not designed to lift the trailer. At least that is what we have/do.
Larry and Lou
Hi there Loudruff - I'm not sure what I'm referring to... Just that I saw a post talking about Axle Mounting Plates and had never seen any such thing in the manual nor any "plate" per say on our trailer. The post mentioned how important it was to use the mounting plate for long term storage to raise the trailer, but not allow twisting the frame.

I would be interested in seeing where your crank down stabilizers are mounted if you have a pic,
or maybe a drawing?? My husband bought some of those & has never mounted them because we were not sure where they should go??

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post

I would be interested in seeing where your crank down stabilizers are mounted if you have a pic,
or maybe a drawing?? My husband bought some of those & has never mounted them because we were not sure where they should go??
Here's pictures of the installation of crank down BAL stabilizers we added to our 77 Minuet 6.0 this year. We attached them to the frame of Scatter Bug - they are working out wonderfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scatter Bug Stablizers Pre-Fit.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	70588   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1780 (Medium).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	70589  

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #44
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hmmm - I have been corrected by my husband-our to be installed stabilizers are called "scissor jacks". Would it be the same idea to mount. And could you tell where the frame was underneath? (we have not been wayyyy under yet)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Hmmm - I have been corrected by my husband-our to be installed stabilizers are called "scissor jacks". Would it be the same idea to mount. And could you tell where the frame was underneath? (we have not been wayyyy under yet)
It's the same install for "scissor jacks" as for BAL stabilizers.

The frame on our Mini is kind of like studs, every so many inches there is a support piece. We found them within minutes of banging around on the underbelly of Scatter Bug. I'm thinking yours will be the same.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Something to keep in mind with the scissor jack type stabilizers is that they typically will extend below the bottom of the rear frame horns that are designed to take the brunt of the force when the rear of the coach drags on pavement when encountering deep dips in the road surface. My first set of scissor type stabilizers were drug off of my Overlander because they were mounted too far toward the rear. Knowing the difficulty that I had with the scissor stabilizers on the Overlander, I went with the BAL stabilizers like the ones used on current Airstreams for my Minuet -- the coach has had pavement contact with the rear frame horns several times, but the BAL stabilizers have escaped unscathed.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
New owner 79 Argosy 6.7

I just picked up my Argosy. Inside is in pretty good shape. Body as well. The bathroom door is gone as well as the the sliding door under the sink. Holding tank leaks pretty bad, lot of rust on axel and around tanks ( I guess that is why there leaking). Any advice would be apprciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Argosey 003.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	70740  
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #48
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
WELL, howdy there Squid - nice to have you and another 6.7! You are going to be soo happy & pleasantly surprised with you new very handsome Minuet. We have had our "Moonunit" for just over 5 yrs. Many friendly owners here to help you w/any ?? If you have trouble w/manuvering on site, let us know, its a bit confusing at first. Thanks for posting here-would love to see more pics!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
More pics

Moonunit...Kool and fitting name! Have 3 more pics of outside..Your right about Navigating the site...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Argosey 001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	70747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosey 002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	70748  

Name:	Argosey 004.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	70749  
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #50
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Kevin - thanks for the heads up on the scissor jacks, I told my husband! Yikes on scraping them off! But I still wonder if anyone knows about that mystical mounting plate that is suppose to be under the trailer? We were out taking some pics of things in Mini we need to replace, and in looking under her, we could see nothing that looks like a plate? Have you any clue?

Squid - can't wait for the inside pics?!!!! We have family/friends in and around Austin. Do you or have you ever been to Hudson's on the Bend. Cheffy Jeff is a friend of ours.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
But I still wonder if anyone knows about that mystical mounting plate that is suppose to be under the trailer? We were out taking some pics of things in Mini we need to replace, and in looking under her, we could see nothing that looks like a plate? Have you any clue?
Leigh, You are NOT looking for something that looks like a plate, nor a flat piece of metal exactly. The mounting plate that many have referred to here is an axle mounting plate. It is about 5 ft. long, 1 flange is about 3 in. and attaches to the frame, the other flange is approx. 8 in. and connects to the axle. Its purpose is to spread the impact of the weight of the trailer over a reinforced area to connect to the axles. When using this mounting flange as a jacking point you are putting the jack under the lowest edge of the flange. Thereby spreading the weight of the trailer to the frame just as if it were supported by the axles. Lifting the trailer off the ground from any other point puts the entire weight of the trailer or a good portion of it on an area of the frame the size of the top of the jack. That is why stabilizer jacks are NOT used to lift the trailer. The balancing stabilizing jacks on our 6.7 meter mount at the frame on one end and a crossmember at the other.
They should not be used for changing tires, long term storage or to take the weight off of the axle. As many have stated this can flex the trailer frame and do permanent damage. Think of this plate as a piece of angle iron.
Larry....Lou typing!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Low Rider

We posted some photos on the axle replacement and there is a photo that may help you see. Larry drew a pencil circle around the piece, but it is very light and you will have to look closely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axle edit.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	70848  
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Leigh,
So this is my first offical post. I bought a 77 Minuet off Ebay two months ago and this weekend I'm finally able to go and pick it up. Not my first trailer, but I'm pretty sure this will be the most fun. I'm amazed at all of the good info on this site. I'm sure once I get my "prize" home, I'll be asking all kinds of questions.
Jim
enmudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #54
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm writing in blue as I got a note from Campman that the red/orange was hard to read and I want everyone to have the benefit of all the great info being posted.

Lou/Larry, thanks for taking the time to reply & post the pic - I guess somewhere I thought I read there was some kind of actual spot that showed where the axle mounting plate was - something w/a big X on it for aXle mounting plate!!!! Maybe the newer AS's have it. I was trying to find out more cause when we do get our new axle we will probably want to lift "Mini" during the winter to prolong it's life.

Jim - I think its great that you made this your 1st official post and look forward to when you have your new baby home & can let us share all your excitement. There are so many very nice, helpful people who post at airforums. I wanted to have 1 area where the Minuet people would be able to share anything they might come up against that is unique to these trailers. Not that others might not share, but just so we dont have to hunt too hard to find out more about the Minuet. It is a wonderful, fun, sturdy little trailer.

One other question that has come up for us is the placement of a 12v plug receptical in each of your trailers? In the Owners Manual there is a drawing on Pg 90 showing electrical outlets. The solid dot is suppose to be the 12v standard and on the 6.7 drawing it shows 3. 1 is in the bath (we have that) 1 in kitchen area (nope) and 1 up front (nope). Does anyone have more that 1 and are they in the areas pictured? I'm curious as "standard" I thought meant it should be there?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
One other question that has come up for us is the placement of a 12v plug receptical in each of your trailers? In the Owners Manual there is a drawing on Pg 90 showing electrical outlets. The solid dot is suppose to be the 12v standard and on the 6.7 drawing it shows 3. 1 is in the bath (we have that) 1 in kitchen area (nope) and 1 up front (nope). Does anyone have more that 1 and are they in the areas pictured? I'm curious as "standard" I thought meant it should be there?
Our Minuet has only ONE 12v. plug installed as original. The one that is located in the bathroom under the mirrored cabinet, streetside. Larry has wired in an extra one by tapping into the fuse panel under the front gaucho. He put a long cord on it. I sleep with a CPAP machine (sleep apnea) and I want to be able to use it while boondocking with battery power. Works great!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
79 Minuet 6.0

Excellent to see someone trying to bring together all the owners of a kind. My unit is a 79 (built in 78)6.0 Minuet. Former owner had recently installed: new axle, tires, converter & battery, new water heater and plumbing, reupholstered cushions (dark brown, but ok for now), new Carrierr air-heat unit (too unsightly for the small unit..and too noisy), new gas tank, new Reese weight and stabilizers. When I got it the unit had sat for a few months. Some previous owner had smoked, so took everything out, washed down with TSP (trisodiumphosphate) and the goldblack of the smoke rolled off to reveal a like-new interior. I am amazed that the whole unit is so very, very intact and solid. Really well built and just like new.
Since I got it, the following has been done:
1. totally new sewer system and valves
2. furnace thoroughly checked and works fine
3. all exterior lights cleaned and working
4. toilet seal repaired
5. wire screening added behind all exterior openings, e.g. furnace exhaust
6. all window and screen door screens replaced (made a big difference)
7. added fire extinguisher-fire alarm-CO2 detector
8. installed solar rock shields, but only on the two curved windows (have the center one, but found that I can see all traffic from my truck rear window through the clear two windows of trailer really well...could not do it with the tinted shield in the center) I found the installation a breeze and instructions in package were clear and complete. Super good service from Inland RV on order. Actually this was the very first thing I did, as I found that buying a replacement window was super expensive. The rock shields are like insurance.
9. Installed T-moulding on table, bookshelf, and small shelf....hard to find in the color orange, but did from internet.
10. Bought aftermarket hubcaps just like the old, original ones of steel, but these are cheaper stuff...still look nice.
11. The last thing so far was to spruce up the color inside, as the dark brown of the cushions was just too drab. I love real red orange....so put material on masonite to insert into upper cabinet doors, on ends of cabinets, above the table where the padded trim is located....and it really shines now. Also installed plastic trim in that channel under the padded area above the front windows. That was one of the most difficult jobs to do.
NEXT: The next job is to repaint the steel end caps and do some touch up on the rest of the unit, including wheels. Ordered orange inserts for the belly line and other line, but they do not fit...or I am too dumb to figure out how they go in. Seem far too big. Need to get a spare tire, too.
I never cease to be amazed by this forum. I just read today that someone wanted to know if others had the 12V (cig.lighter) placements. I knew I had two, one on left front by table, and one above kitchen counter. She said she had one under the bath cabinet. Low and behold, I went to look and sure enough, I have one too. And I thought every inch of the little camper had been examined!!!! New and fun surprises everyday.
Hope this posting wasn't too long, but you asked for it. Thanks for all the input from all you others in this forum.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Here are a few pics of the spruced up colorful inside of my Minuet 6.0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0562.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	70880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0563.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	70881  

Name:	DSCF0567.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	70882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0570.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	70883  

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #58
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Campman - Wow, so glad you added your trailer to this post. Too bad my red/orange writing didnt turn out as nice as the inside of your Minuet.
You have been quite busy! and it seems, lucky to have 3 of those 12V plugs! I can't figure out how it was decided during manufacturing the number to go in each trailer, as the manual indicate there should have been 3 in ours too?
I am glad that so many Minuet owners are posting & maybe gathering more info here on the unique characteristics of our wonderful camping transporters.
Thanks to all who keep posting and giving important pics and other goodies. I hope there will be many more to come.

Lou/Larry - thanks again for that pic of your axle. That helped alot!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Aftermarket hubcaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
10. Bought aftermarket hubcaps just like the old, original ones of steel, but these are cheaper stuff...still look nice.
Where did you get them?
A. Doré
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Hubcaps

Bonjour, Doré....Found one of those stores where a guy has made a business of 'found' hubcaps, new and fancy ones, and various wheels...a huge store. It is just a local operation and has been here in MS for many years. These two hubcaps are pretty cheap stuff and so close to the look of the original ones that few will notice. I waxed both sides well and will continue to do so in order to preserve them. Have saved the old, original ones in case I find a place to do re-chroming at decent price.
By the way, with you being in Québec, I wonder if you have ever visited the Gaspé. I just sold a campground there, near Percé, which I built from scratch and ran for 14 years...Camping Tete d'Indien, now owned by a young guy from Montréal...Gaspé Camping