Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #29
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Craig - know what u mean about tight quarters w/4 people, & we even have a bit more space w/the 6.7. When our 2 boys were small, wasn't too bad (altho I had to post a no entrance sign when I was cooking or washing dishes. Once they hit the growth spurt age tho, we started feeling cramped & used a tent or back of car sleeping arrangement for them. That was ok by them cause they wanted "more privacy" by then anyway.

Hey, going back a bit. Loudruff (or anyone who might have an "original" manual. Is it possible for u to post a picture of the front of your manual. I am curious to see if it is the same as what was sent to us. I could try to post pic of our copied one, but it is not to clear as it is. I can say that it has a pic of a double axle Argosy on the front and is headed
1978 Argosy Owners Manual.

1 last thing, has anyone tried to repaint, refresh the metre # sign painted on the side of their rig? Our 6.7metre signage is looking kind of tired & I dont know exactly what to use to brighten, sharpen it up.

Thanks for all who are contributing.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minuet Side Decals

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post

1 last thing, has anyone tried to repaint, refresh the metre # sign painted on the side of their rig? Our 6.7metre signage is looking kind of tired & I dont know exactly what to use to brighten, sharpen it up.

Thanks for all who are contributing.
I have been looking into this situation locally. In speaking with a local sign shop, they suggested taping a ruler next to the current decal. With the ruler next to the decal, take a close-up digital photo. From the photo, the technician can identify the font and size, then you can pick the color that you want. With the choices made, heay duty vinyl decals can be created using the computer -- my contact tells me that they will be close to identical.

The second possibility, again, using the photo technique, would be to have a sign painter duplicate the decal in sign paint on the side of the coach.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #31
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks again, Kevin~more good info for "all us" Mini owners

PS I was sorry to hear the rally reaction to you and your "painted AS" Never imagined there could be a, should I say it, bigotry issue w/AS's.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #32
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

I wasn't sure how to make this picture show up as a part of the post like many do here, but thought I would add it in case other Argosy (mostly new) Owners want to see the original Owners Manual cover for 1978. I don't know how much it relates to prior Argosys, but I now know that it is the same as my copy which we bought several years ago (the front cover on our copy, which shows a double axle Argosy, pulled by a station wagon, w/a woman in front, is actually the second page of the original).

Lou and Larry (owners of a 6.7metre Minuet, like us) were nice enough to e-mail me the pic of their original front cover so I could compare it to what we have, & they filled me in on why my front was different than theirs. Up until now I was not sure I had the right manual or all of the Argosy manual pertaining to the Minuet.

I figured this would be a good place to post it for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	69177  

Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Another Argonaut, a 7.3

Greetings,
We have a lovely 1979 24T 7.3 Minuet. Bought it one year ago, it grew up in Alabama. Really really nice exterior and the interior is looking forward to TLC. We aren't sure what we'll do with it, we have all the Airstream we need with our CCD 25. (sad isn't it, to have an Argosy feel unloved?) We bought it for the Africa trip and just won't need it.

We've kept it under cover and aired out. Makes a great place to entertain couples, with a couple candles, a couple bottles of wine, and a couple hours. We're going to start going through it later this month and seeing what we want to do with it. Probably sell it. It's too nice to keep without really using it the way it deserves. Has all the original appliance documentation, owner manual, original receipts, and all subsequent invoices.

Neat Argosy. Someone will surely want to adopt it and get wonderful use out of it. I wish we could -- it would be so cool to take it on weekend and weeklong trips to the beach or the mountains. It tows without any mirror extensions since it is the same width as the truck. And you can see all the way through it because the front glass isn't tinted. Neat to see night traffic coming up all the way through the windows. Gotta love it.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
Fuil-Timers

I forgot, all the Snow White pix are in my airforums photos album -- they're beeyootiful!

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
DreamStreamr- just looked at your pics & your right, she's beautiful. I'm sorry that you might have to give her up. She's the 1st 7.3 to post here. Have you done any upgrades? If so, you can list them here & then if you decide to sell, maybe others will remember what they read & make the sale go faster. Are there any items that stand out in the larger Minuet that you might tell us about. Looks to have a separate bed area between the kit/dining & the bath. I remember when we first got our
"Moonunit" we were the 1st 6.7minuet to post & there were no 7.3's as members. Nice to see so many members interested in & using the Argosys. Thanks for adding yours!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #36
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Don Ambose, the factory tour guide, knows that lifting an Airstream or Argosy trailer by placing a jack on an "axle", can and will cause misalignment.

He also knows that lifting the trailer using the "axle mounting plate" is safe, secure, and cannot cause misalignment, PERIOD.
Have a question about the above which is on another post talking about jacking up AS trailers. Does anybody know or have you seen the "axle mounting plate" on your minuet? And, just to be sure, are they talking about using this plate if you are going to attach folding type jacks to your trailer (as opposed to those kind that can be slid under and then ratcheted up?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #37
Fuil-Timers

79 Minuet 7.3 (24T)

Leigh and other Argonauts,
Our Minuet is pretty much original with few changes. Radio is missing but speakers are still extant. Roof locker doors were covered with a dumb contact paper which, fortunately, lost its adhesive and has almost all released so the original cute fabric inset covers show again. Fridge and rooftop A/C replaced and both working great. Original stove, oven, sink, tub, toilet. The coiling door (drat! forgot name for it) under the sink apparently died and some p.o. replaced with a pair of doors. Tracks are still there.

Front dinette, mid-twins beds, rear bath. Four burner stove over oven; two-bowl sink. New 30amp cord. New bearings and brakes 1.5 years ago. Full documentation including original owners manual and all receipts. Awning needs refurbish. Body is almost perfecto, paint seems original and tired. We've stored under shelter the past year.

Pictures are on this forum's gallery under dreamstreamr. Unit is in North Carolina 1/2 hour outside Charlotte, NC. Email me direct if interested, at dreamstreamr@gmail.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
I have the same Minuet. My wheel covers are rusted and it cost a fortune to get re-chroming done. I happened on one of those guys who sells hubcaps...and he had a pair of new ones from China of course, but with polish to protect, they should last a while; cost only $15 each! They look exactly like the original ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Leigh!

My minuet is a 1978 6.0 Metre and I am the second owner. It still has its original countertops, cabinets, refrigerator, furnace, water pump (rebuilt), and acrylic windows. Its axle has been replaced with a new one having 10% greater capacity. Mine was built at the Versailles, OH assembly plant in the early spring of '78 -- a special order for the first owner.

Since acquiring the coach, it has received the following:
  • New foam and upholstery, new draperies, floor covering, and credenza table by Fowler Interiors of Symsonia, KY.
  • New axle, toilet, air conditioner, bat wing antenna, Magnatec Converter, and water heater -- Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA.
  • Original Worthington LP Tanks recertified.
  • New Rockguard modified and installed by Ace Fogdall RV.
The only part that I am hoping to see available in reproduction form at this point are the ABS ARGOSY steel wheel center caps -- both of mine shattered and depositied themselves along I-57.

Kevin

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Campman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
I have the same Minuet. My wheel covers are rusted and it cost a fortune to get re-chroming done. I happened on one of those guys who sells hubcaps...and he had a pair of new ones from China of course, but with polish to protect, they should last a while; cost only $15 each! They look exactly like the original ones.
I suspect what you have are likely the generic center cap replacements for Chevrolet/GMC trucks with styled steel wheels from the late 1970s (I believe that they are listed for 1978-1983(?). I have considered these without the center decals, and will probably order a set from JC Whitney before next camping season.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #40
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Wondered if anyone saw my above earlier post re:the axle mounting plate on the Minuet? Is anyone familiar w/where it is? and just to be sure, do u use it when camping or just when storing? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
axle mounting plate

Leigh,
If you are referring to the angle iron that the axles bolt to and in turn is bolted to the frame of the trailer, we use a bottle jack on that angle iron for changing the tires. Our trailer is equiped with crank down stabilizers. These mount further fore and aft of the axle mounting plates. These mount to the frame at one point and a cross member toward the center of the trailer. For long term parking the trailer can be raised by a jack placed on each axle mounting plate. The stabilizer jacks are not designed to lift the trailer. At least that is what we have/do.
Larry and Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #42
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Leigh,
If you are referring to the angle iron that the axles bolt to and in turn is bolted to the frame of the trailer, we use a bottle jack on that angle iron for changing the tires. Our trailer is equiped with crank down stabilizers. These mount further fore and aft of the axle mounting plates. These mount to the frame at one point and a cross member toward the center of the trailer. For long term parking the trailer can be raised by a jack placed on each axle mounting plate. The stabilizer jacks are not designed to lift the trailer. At least that is what we have/do.
Larry and Lou
Hi there Loudruff - I'm not sure what I'm referring to... Just that I saw a post talking about Axle Mounting Plates and had never seen any such thing in the manual nor any "plate" per say on our trailer. The post mentioned how important it was to use the mounting plate for long term storage to raise the trailer, but not allow twisting the frame.

I would be interested in seeing where your crank down stabilizers are mounted if you have a pic,
or maybe a drawing?? My husband bought some of those & has never mounted them because we were not sure where they should go??