Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #201
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
I have an Argosy 1971 26' that is one of many Airstreams in my collections. What makes it an Minuet? What is the deal with Argosy? I was told that is was an upgraded version of the Airstream. I have it sitting next to one of my Airstreams of the same year. My Argosy has nicer interior a wrap around window. better fabrics and does not have that damn tambour :-)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #202
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Double check your year. I believe production began in 1972. Minuets were introduced at some point after that (1975?).

Argosy Campers were a lower priced version of the Airstream and they tried some new things on them that could make it to the Airstream brand.

Te above is the short version. Check more threads for LOTS more info in the Argosy Trailer section.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #203

1978 Argosy 24
Kenner , Louisiana
I have an Argosy Minuet 7.3 metre that is in need of many repairs. I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort to fix everything. I guess if I were or if I could find someone who was a dedicated Airstream fan, the task would probably not be as huge as it seems. This unit needs probably and new frame just to start and then would need to be gutted inside to make it a total restore project. It appears the aluminum frame that makes up the top section is in good shape as well as the outer skin but has a few dents and one rip by the front right corner. The lower outer skin will probably all have to be replaced. Anyway, as you can tell, I am not interested in spending the time or the money to restore this unit so if anybody would be interested or knows someone who might be, let me know and maybe we can work out a trade or cash amount.
Thanks,
Charles.
funinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #204
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Thonotosassa , Florida
Minuet 7.3

I have a 7.3 here in the Tampa area. The floors are defintely plywood and the cabinet work is vinal coated aluminum Mine has a single bed on the right side in front of the rear bath with 2 closets and a drawer unit on the right.
Im about to re start the renovations on it in the next couple of weeks. Im then wanting to travel through the South west. New axles are definately in line along with some floor repair. Does any one have a cure for water blowing in through the upper refrigerator vent. This is what ruined the floor on mine. Curt
minuet7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #205
2 Rivet Member

Hill country , Texas
I have a member of the Minuet family!

Hello all!

We Picked up a 1979 7.3 Argosy Minuet XT "Deer Camp Special" and are starting to et her ready for camping. She needs ALOT of work, but we're do it yourselfers and it's a remarkable improement from our 13 foot Casita! I'll post some pics- I'm so happy to have found this awesome resource! Currently, I got new tires on her, and am in the process of "evaluating" brakes and axles. Glad to find out there's other Minuets out there-I have the service and owner's manuals but they're not for Minuets. So far, it's been just great dreaming in the driveway in the front table with the wrap around windows!
ArgosyGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings ArgosyGypsy!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyGypsy View Post
Hello all!

We Picked up a 1979 7.3 Argosy Minuet XT "Deer Camp Special" and are starting to et her ready for camping. Glad to find out there's other Minuets out there-I have the service and owner's manuals but they're not for Minuets. So far, it's been just great dreaming in the driveway in the front table with the wrap around windows!
There is a Minuet specific owners manual, but there aren't any Minuet specfic service manuas either. A service manual for a similar model year and size Airstream will answer most any question regarding the basic structures and systems of your Minuet.

When you metnion enjoying the front Panoramic Windows, something to consider is the addition of a rock guard to protect those windows. While Airstream does offer replacement windows for the front Panoramas on our Minuets, the new windows are Solar Gray tinted rather than the clear glass that was standard when our coaches were made. Airstream offers a three-piece front rock guard that can be adapted to our Minuets by narrowing the center section.

Good luck with your project!!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #207
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Excellent to see someone trying to bring together all the owners of a kind. My unit is a 79 (built in 78)6.0 Minuet. Former owner had recently installed: new axle, tires, converter & battery, new water heater and plumbing, reupholstered cushions (dark brown, but ok for now), new Carrierr air-heat unit (too unsightly for the small unit..and too noisy), new gas tank, new Reese weight and stabilizers. When I got it the unit had sat for a few months. Some previous owner had smoked, so took everything out, washed down with TSP (trisodiumphosphate) and the goldblack of the smoke rolled off to reveal a like-new interior. I am amazed that the whole unit is so very, very intact and solid. Really well built and just like new.
Since I got it, the following has been done:
1. totally new sewer system and valves
2. furnace thoroughly checked and works fine
3. all exterior lights cleaned and working
4. toilet seal repaired
5. wire screening added behind all exterior openings, e.g. furnace exhaust
6. all window and screen door screens replaced (made a big difference)
7. added fire extinguisher-fire alarm-CO2 detector
8. installed solar rock shields, but only on the two curved windows (have the center one, but found that I can see all traffic from my truck rear window through the clear two windows of trailer really well...could not do it with the tinted shield in the center) I found the installation a breeze and instructions in package were clear and complete. Super good service from Inland RV on order. Actually this was the very first thing I did, as I found that buying a replacement window was super expensive. The rock shields are like insurance.
9. Installed T-moulding on table, bookshelf, and small shelf....hard to find in the color orange, but did from internet.
10. Bought aftermarket hubcaps just like the old, original ones of steel, but these are cheaper stuff...still look nice.
11. The last thing so far was to spruce up the color inside, as the dark brown of the cushions was just too drab. I love real red orange....so put material on masonite to insert into upper cabinet doors, on ends of cabinets, above the table where the padded trim is located....and it really shines now. Also installed plastic trim in that channel under the padded area above the front windows. That was one of the most difficult jobs to do.
NEXT: The next job is to repaint the steel end caps and do some touch up on the rest of the unit, including wheels. Ordered orange inserts for the belly line and other line, but they do not fit...or I am too dumb to figure out how they go in. Seem far too big. Need to get a spare tire, too.
I never cease to be amazed by this forum. I just read today that someone wanted to know if others had the 12V (cig.lighter) placements. I knew I had two, one on left front by table, and one above kitchen counter. She said she had one under the bath cabinet. Low and behold, I went to look and sure enough, I have one too. And I thought every inch of the little camper had been examined!!!! New and fun surprises everyday.
Hope this posting wasn't too long, but you asked for it. Thanks for all the input from all you others in this forum.
We are now the proud owners of "campman's" 6.0 Minuet. We plan to sometimes tow it with our '75 Argosy 20' Motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'79 Argosy 6.0 003.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	128177  
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #208
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I can't wait to see photos of that!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #209
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I can't wait to see photos of that!!!
We're working on the '75 Argosy 20' Motorhome. Just keep an eye on our thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-mh-42788.html

We'll post the photos when the MH is ready.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #210
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Tennessee
1977 6.0 metre affectionately called "Tic-Tac".
Tinker Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #211
1 Rivet Member

Victoria , British Columbia
Restoration well under way...

Our 7.3 is well under way for her frame on resto. We've repaired the rusty frame, stiffened up the aluminum ribs under the skin and replaced the floor. Refitting the water tanks, updating electrical and plumbing, resealing everything...Floor goes in this week, then insulation and re-installing the inside skins. Feeling we are approaching the top of the hill....
katrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #212
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Savannah , Georgia
New Minuet owner :)

Just purchased a 1979 6.0 Metre Minuet that needs some lovin'
Mentioned to my dad that I was looking for a cheap vintage camper to gut and remodel as a party wagon for me and my gf's - mostly to tailgate at concerts and football games. Wasn't expecting him to locate this diamond in the rough riding around on back roads in SC, but am super excited and looking forward to getting started.
Glad to have such a wealth of knowledge available on this forum and looking forward to researching in depth in the coming weeks. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their stories and pictures. I will do the same.
I named my baby Cosmo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01194.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	140908  
Hattagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #213
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrix View Post
Our 7.3 is well under way for her frame on resto. We've repaired the rusty frame, stiffened up the aluminum ribs under the skin and replaced the floor. Refitting the water tanks, updating electrical and plumbing, resealing everything...Floor goes in this week, then insulation and re-installing the inside skins. Feeling we are approaching the top of the hill....
ok, what makes it a Minuet ..... just bought a 78 Argosy 24 to rework. My current travel rig is a 31 AS Sovereign, but am looking forward to this one, it pulls great.

Also, the wires from the fuse panel in back run up to what look kind of like circuit breakers in the front under the left seat. What to they add to the circuitry and what will replace them if I need to ,,,, they look a little worn.

Thanks
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Orlop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
ok, what makes it a Minuet .....

The Argosy Minuet was introduced in 1977 continuing through 1979 as a lighter weight trailer that could be towed by the compact and intermediate cars of the time. It was aimed at first-time buyers looking for an economical entry point. Characteristics unique to the Minuet include:
  • Floor width of 7.0' while the standard Argosy coaches were 7' 8" wide.
  • Vinyl-clad aluminum cabinetry throughout coach.
  • Composite aluminum floors in most (but not all) 6.0 Metre Minuets as well as some (but far from most) 6.7 Metre Minuets . . . 7.3 Metre Minuets had plywood floors.
  • Acrylic side windows with tempered glass rear and front Panoramic windows.
The Minuets also had fewer standard features (to keep dry weight low), but could be optioned to compare favorably with standard model Argosy coaches. The Minuets tended to have a plethora of windows so that the decreased width wasn't obvious at least when comparing the feeling of roominess to pre-wide-body coaches.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #215
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
Thanks for the scoop on the Minuet .... getting the tape measure and checking the width.

So far, new tires to tow it from Pennsylvania, put in a new floor in front, ordered vinyl tile squares for the new floor, ordered a Wave 8 Catalytic Heater, fixed the hot water heater, checking for new curtains, looking at a heat pump ac, new paint and many other things.

Thanks for your info.

Larry
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #216
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
I bought a '79 Minuet 7.3 mid April. Found it in Rockport TX near Corpus Christi. Towed it 1500 miles home to VA without incident.
Accomplished to date:
New converter new breakaway switch New 7 pin cable
new upholstery for the gauchos Removed carpet and waiting to replace
about half way cleaning out all seams and recaulking Washed interior
completely New waterpump, lines etc removed and cleaned water
tank installed fantastic fan in fwd vent opening new fuse box
new faucet in galley repaired rotten floor near door painted tongue
built new table replaced upper door panels with wood veneer panels
Hope to do some travelling beginning in July. Will attack the exterior this
fall prior (hopefully) to spending some time in Fla over the winter.
Next on the list is the grey and black tanks. Will begin that next Mon with
some help.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #217
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey there everyone - I haven't visited this thread for some time, but thought I would add something here I ran across while trying to research the replacement of our side acrylic window. This was posted to the internet by someone who appears to have an original document for the 78 Minuets. It lists all standard equipment to those particular trailers. It was interesting to me as it gave me some insight into the type of acrylic used for those windows on the sides. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.airstream.com/files/library/f12618f9c41c26d3.pdf

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #218
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Thomasville , Georgia
I'm picking up a 77' 6.0 this weekend. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but my search came up empty. What size ball do I need for the stock hitch?

I swore I read 2 5/16" somewhere, but the lady that I'm buying from says 2".

Thanks
ply5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #219

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ply5013 View Post
I'm picking up a 77' 6.0 this weekend. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but my search came up empty. What size ball do I need for the stock hitch?

Thanks
It's possible that she means the 2" receiver you need to put the hitch on your tow vehicle. My '75 Argosy (not Minuet) uses a 2 5/16 ball, I think that's the norm for Airstreams from sometime in the '60s forward.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings ply5013!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ply5013 View Post

Thanks
The standard Marvel Coupler for the Minuet was 2 5/16", but it wouldn't surprise me if a former owner may have changed it out to a 2" coupler to match other Vintage Airstreams that were owned. Both of my coaches have their original couplers so I have four adjustable hitch heads to accommodate towing either trailer with both of my tow vehicles. The only way that this arrangement made sense for me was that one hitch was included with my purchase of the Minuet (2 5'16" OEM coupler) and I already had one for my Overlander (2" OEM coupler). -- I was able to purchase two additional adjustable hitch heads at the WBCCI International Rally flea market to outfit each trailer for its alternate tow vehicle. I could have changed the coupler on either trailer to achieve the same coupler size, but the hitch height and angle still would have been slightly different when comparing the two trailer combinations with each tow vehicle.

You will want to be prepared for the likelihood that the hitch height may be somewhat different from factory specification. When I picked up my Minuet, the hitch height was 17" (due to well worn axle) -- after replacing the axle, the hitch height is close to 20". Also, the Bargman connector on the trailer may be wired differently from the standard for today's tow vehicles. I purchased my Minuet from the original owner and it was still wired to the "unique" Airstream wiring schematic so it was necessary to change the connector and wire to the modern standard to match my tow vehicle.

Good luck with your initial tow!

Kevin
AIR #827