Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

I have been wanting to find out for awhile how many Argosy Minuet owners there are here on the forums & where they are located so thought I would start this thread. Not that I want to leave anyone else out, but just thought it would be fun as a Minuet owner to have a place to see all other Minuet owners, which Minuet they have & their home base. Also, if they have done anything with their Minuet that might help the rest of us out - it would all be in one place (for instance, I keep looking for the little plastic pieces that fit onto the end of our gaucho slides, no luck yet on replacing those altho I might have a local guy here who can reproduce, we will see). Anyway, would love to have the head count of Minuet owners on an ongoing basis.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Leigh!

My minuet is a 1978 6.0 Metre and I am the second owner. It still has its original countertops, cabinets, refrigerator, furnace, water pump (rebuilt), and acrylic windows. Its axle has been replaced with a new one having 10% greater capacity. Mine was built at the Versailles, OH assembly plant in the early spring of '78 -- a special order for the first owner.

Since acquiring the coach, it has received the following:
  • New foam and upholstery, new draperies, floor covering, and credenza table by Fowler Interiors of Symsonia, KY.
  • New axle, toilet, air conditioner, bat wing antenna, Magnatec Converter, and water heater -- Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA.
  • Original Worthington LP Tanks recertified.
  • New Rockguard modified and installed by Ace Fogdall RV.
The only part that I am hoping to see available in reproduction form at this point are the ABS ARGOSY steel wheel center caps -- both of mine shattered and depositied themselves along I-57.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Minuet 6.0 Metre in New Boston, NH

We own one. Love it too.

It's not our everyday camper, our Excella is. The Minuet goes out for vintage rallies and was pressed into service for this year's NEU Caravan to PEI.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
1977 6 Meter, New Inteli-Power, New plumbing black and fresh, new upholstery, new counter top, new dinette table, new axle, lots more.
Still have the composite aluminum floor and the paint is great.
The interior layout gets raves all the time. Lots of room and people are amazed at the large counter space.
I'm working on a 24' Rear door Argosy shell off restoration, but we will keep the Minuet.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband View Post
1977 6 Meter, New Inteli-Power, New plumbing black and fresh, new upholstery, new counter top, new dinette table, new axle, lots more.
Still have the composite aluminum floor and the paint is great.
The interior layout gets raves all the time. Lots of room and people are amazed at the large counter space.
I'm working on a 24' Rear door Argosy shell off restoration, but we will keep the Minuet.
Having so much counter space is the bomb! And the layout and inside storage capabilities of our Minuet 6.0 is fantastic (outside storage does not exist). A lot of thought went into the design of this little rig. Only thing that makes me laugh is the lowness of the bathroom sink and toilet. I think it was designed for really short people.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
1978 6 Meter with new bunch of stuff too numerous to list. I have the original manuals and price sheet for the unit. One word of advice for the Minuet owner: get a front window guard ASAP. Replacing that window was expensive and not fun!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey there your guys! Thanks for the posts so far. Like the rest of you, we have a love affair going with our "Moonunit" and would not trade her for anything. We have done a few repairs - replaced hot water & inverter, fixed some of the aluminum dents outside, replaced the belt & rubline vinyl strips w/blue, repainted the "Argosy outside trim blue, redid the formica countertop in the kitchen & cleaned/repainted the inside of the stovetop w/a rustproof paint, pulled out carpet (will replace w cork) replaced gaucho cushion w/futon, and have a Moon,Stars,Sun theme going inside. Our next big item is the axle as she rides pretty low & everything gets shaken up when we take her out!
I should also mention that she is a 6.7metre that we purchased from a family in Canada who used her for camping, but she was also a Mother-in-law apt part time! She was all original when we got her - the harvest gold decor and in really good shape, considering.
She now resides on the outskirts of Denver, Co.
Hope to hear from more Minuet enthusiasts.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 10-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC Canada
Hi...I'm new to this forum and have owned a Minuet in the past and it might be for sale again. Could anyone tell me the height of the 6 meter Minuet from ground level to top outside...assuming there is no air conditioner etc. added on top. I need to determine if I can fit it in a shipping container to send over to my winter home in New Zealand. Thanks for any assistance. Overall length and width would also be appreciated.....
George in Victoria, Canada
George H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
George - I just copied this from a previous post in the Argosy Forums. Maybe it will give you what you are looking for...

Minuet 6.7 Argosy

Hi! Our 6.7 Minuet with a newer axle. For reference the height to the top of the wheel well opening is 25 in. This will let you make adjustments for axle wear, tire pressure, tire type, etc. From the ground it is 9 ft. 4 in. to the top of the AC shroud (old Armstrong original type AC). From the ground to the top of the front vent is 8 ft. 5 in. Ground to the top of the antenna 8 ft. 11 in. Ground to the top of roof is 8 ft. 3 in. Ours is sitting on a concrete garage floor. We have a 10 ft. overhead door and it goes through with room to spare.
Larry....in frosty Ohio

Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Minuet 6.7 meter

Larry and I have a 1978 Argosy Minuet with aluminum floors. We have been adding little by little. I have reupholstered the two gauchos, Larry replaced the carpeting, replaced the axle, the water pump, the water heater. We have done a bunch of little things. We are the second owners. It belonged to my parents and they passed it along to us. Still lots to do but we are out camping and enjoying it!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Loudruff - Nice to see another 6.7metre add to this post Again, if anyone has done updating, replacing, or parts finding & feel that it would help the rest of us in relationship to the Minuet, I, for one, would love to know. I hope that having it on a post relating to the Minuet will make it easy to find. It might help other AS owners as well, I don't know, but I will find it easy to find here.

For instance, I am researching axles right now and have gotten some mixed ideas about what to use on the Minuet. Even when giving the axle weight to some companies that install axles (Dexter, in particular) I have gotten different answers on which one to purchase. I have learned that if you order it, it is your, even with mistakes, so am anxious to hear from other Minuet owners as to what they know and can pass on.
Keep em coming!

Old 10-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
MInuet

Leigh, we have been there and done that! Axles were NOT hard to do. Larry did it himself. Here is the link to our thread on that subject. PM us if you want to and I will give you our phone number.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ider-5311.html
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 10-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Direct replacement axles are available from Inland RV. Get them fully loaded hubs and brakes all new. Don't forget to get the shocks at the same time. They come with new mounting bolts and it now takes me about an hour to replace an axle.
You will need 4 jack stands if it has a single axle or if it is a double axle just roll up on a set up on boards to clear the tire for the axle being replaced. Then repeat for the other.
Disconnect the brake wires and one end of the shocks remove the 4 mounting bolts and lower it with the floor jack. Reverse the procedure to install.
A floor jack to hoist the axle into place is a must have. I would also recommend an impact driver with the proper sockets for the job, this tool makes it much easier. You can get a impact driver 1/2" drive from Harbor Freight and a set of impact sockets for less than $100.00. This is a good tool to have around the shop for tight bolts and tire lugs when repacking bearings.
3 axles later and all of the tools paid for themselves many times over.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Loudruff and Gary - thanks for that info on the axles. I think we have decided to wait until Spring to replace because I was also reading a post about not letting a trailer sit for long periods of time with weight bearing on the axle. Waiting will give a bit more time to figure it all out as well as not messing up a brand new axle by having it sit all winter, but what I read from you both was helpful. One thing I'm confused about is whether As is using Henschen or Dexter axels now? I've read posts that mentioned both.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone w/a Minuet using a Dexter axle for replacement as that is what they are recommending here locally.

Loudruff, one thing that caught my eye in your Lowrider post was the fact that you have all the original manuals. Is there any chance that if I paid the cost for reprint, I could get copies? I sent off for a manual thru AS, but could only get a copy of an Argosy manual, which refers more to the regular Argosy, not to the Minuet. Some things - like Vista view windows - just don't relate and some things just seem to be missing in the copy I have.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Loudruff, one thing that caught my eye in your Lowrider post was the fact that you have all the original manuals. Is there any chance that if I paid the cost for reprint, I could get copies? I sent off for a manual thru AS, but could only get a copy of an Argosy manual, which refers more to the regular Argosy, not to the Minuet. Some things - like Vista view windows - just don't relate and some things just seem to be missing in the copy I have.
You probably have the exact same manual that we have. Ours is NOT Minuet specific either. Ours also refers more to the regular Argosy and some major points that deal with the differences in the Minuet are missing. My dad saved EVERYTHING so we know these are the only manuals that he got. Sorry that we seem to have the same ones. You might contact Kevin as he may have some others. He has done an excellent job of collecting all things related to the Minuet line. Overlander64. He has collected many other manuals and details for other Airstream TTs as well. Maybe he might have something.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

There is precious little Minuet specific material available. Even in the owner's manual it is just a footnote for 1977 and 1978 -- for 1979 I believe the owner's manual had possibly five total pages that were Minuet specific. I don't believe that Airstream ever published a repair manual that was specific to the Argosy -- at least at the time of my inquiry, I was advised that the '78 Airstream Repair Manual would be the closest available.

Kevin

P.S.: My speculation is that management was aware that the days for the Argosy division were numbered by the time the Minuet series came along, its popularity was too little too late which meant that no special efforts were made to recognize these coaches in the manuals.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
We just took our 1978 6.0 Minuet on a 3200 mile journey from Madison, WI to St. George, UT and back. Before leaving a new axle was installed by our neighbor John HD, with my assistance and his tools and knowledge. We tow with a 2003 Dodge Caravan CV, and went over two 9500' and one 11,000' mountain pass without a problem. The axle was a replacement from Inland RV, and I cannot reccomend them highly enough. Throughout the west we saw many old Airstreams "in drydock" in back yards, but not a single Argosy, and none on the road either. One fellow in a nice Excella camped next to us at a campground in Torrey, UT commented that our trailer looked a lot like an Airstream. I said, "well, it is an Airstream" and showed him the manufacturers plaque by the door. He had never seen an Argosy before, apparently.

"If you're not eating meat, the carcasses start piling up." - Bucky Katt
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Mont-Laurier , Québec
Hi Leigh:
I live in the province of Québec. I bought my 1977 6-metre Argosy Minuet in November of 1999 from Mr. Andrew Bubb from a place near Fort Wayne, Indiana. From a little plate on it, I can see that it originally came from Berning Trailer Sales Inc., located in Fort Wayne. Searching the Internet, I found that this place still exists and still sells Airstreams. I can’t say how many owners the trailer has had though.
I have had the two end caps painted last year. I have installed new lights inside and put aluminium blinds in 3 of the windows. I have also replaced the top of the stove for a cleaner and more modern look. I installed a "floating" floor when I bought it and it is still in place after 9 years. The plate assembly was replaced as well as the spotlight (?) near the door. I replaced the axle this summer (complete assembly). The furnace was not working when I bought it and I decided to uninstall it which gives me additional storage space. The rest is more or less in its original state and is in an excellent shape.
This is my third Airstream. The first one was a Classic 23-foot Safari 1979. The second one was a 33-foot Argosy (1989). I really enjoy this trailer. It tows like a charm: I don’t even use the anti-sway bar anymore. I tow it with a V-6 Explorer. I have the original owner’s manual.
The rockguards for the two front side windows were already there when I bought the trailer. I now would like to put an awning on it. I am also looking for two ARGOSY steel wheel centre caps. I will also consider adding a small catalytic heater.

You may want to look at it by clicking on the number of images (6) in my profile on the left.

P.S. I have a daughter who was (also...) born in 1977... She told me that when I die, she wants the trailer...!!! (hehehe)
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
One thing I'm confused about is whether As is using Henschen or Dexter axels now? I've read posts that mentioned both.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone w/a Minuet using a Dexter axle for replacement as that is what they are recommending here locally.
I think that Airstream is back to what used to be Henschen, I believe they are owned by GKN Axles and they build "Henschen Dura-torque Axles (tm)". Still built in Jackson Center Ohio as always.

I would not recommend Dexter Axles as a do it yourself axle. You would have to take precise measurement and provide them for the order and if you make a mistake "you bought it". Dexter makes a good product and would work well in this application but I would suggest that you have a shop who will provide a guaranty for their work and let them take the risk of a mistake in the order.

If you order a Henschen you provide the Serial Number of the trailer and you're done.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Lightbulb

Ya know I have never really had any need to know much about Argosy's. Although I have on two occasions inquired (in person) into availability of Argosy's I have stumbled across.
In all my years and hours of perusing these forums I have intentionally skipped over most threads that appear Argosy specific. Lord with hundreds or is it thousands of posts being dumped into the forums monthly, one has to cull many in order to possibly keep up and still have a life away from the computer screen.
However I do often read certain members stuff each time I can and Kevin Allen is one that I follow for his excellent style and clarity and IMHO accuracy of reporting. Therefore I have absorbed a bit of Argosy info albeit small and seldom brought to mind.
One advantage to Argosy's limited life span as an active and ongoing product line is that it's history could perhaps be more neatly catalouged.
I think it would be interesting to read at least an overview of it's span covering when,where,why, and who concieved it and killed it.
Why the metric nomenclature (nonsense)?
What's this about aluminum floors? an experiment? what was the conclusion?
Versailles Ohio..? was that an Airstream plant? What became of that facility ? and why?
And the "myth"s (or are they facts ?), that the painted skins were due to rejected or damaged aluminum not fit for Airstreams.??? And any other Argosy myths etc. out there.
I have "heard" the Argosy's were catch-alls for left-over parts and trial balloons for new things. Hence a lack of uniformity within a model year. Any truth there?
Why the steel exterior dome caps? Were they on every Argosy?
Was the Minuet just another model or was it significanly different from other Argosy's?
Production numbers for the different models etc.
What about values of Argosy's ? Are they priced similar to like year and size Airstreams?
Is there anyone who has interviewed former Argosy personnel? Is there an "official" Argosy archivist?
How are (in general) Argonauts recieved at rallys and nationals by the Blue Bloods?
Anyway you get the drift.
Oh and if by chance someone has already done that, bravo and where is it?
BTW what caught my attention about this thread was that it was attempt to group/gather owners by specific and smaller unit, and I think that is an excellent idea for info sharing and knowledge exchange. Or as in my situation (70's era long-boys..Ambassadors, Sovs, Excellas) misery loves company.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote