Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Busy - new rock shield, spare tire carrier, batteries...

Making some progress on the Argosy.

Had the rock guard 'sunglasses' installed today.

Also bought an Airstream spare tire carrier for the spare I am setting up. Will order wheel and tire tomorrow, and mount the carrier next week.

I have ordered a Xantrex 60 Amp converter/charger and battery monitor from Best Converter, and have two new Deka 6V golf cart batteries (187 AH) sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted, along with battery hold down components, etc. I will work on cabling, fuse box conversion, etc. this weekend.

Looking forward to a lot of travel this Fall, in comfort.

Mike

Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Mike, Welcome to the Forums. I have also purchased the Shades for my Argosy, just haven't done the install yet. The rock shield will protect those big panoramic windows. As always, post pictures of your Argosy when you can. We ALL love seeing pics here.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
[quote=Mike S;606689]Making some progress on the Argosy.

Had the rock guard 'sunglasses' installed today.

Also bought an Airstream spare tire carrier for the spare I am setting up. Will order wheel and tire tomorrow, and mount the carrier next week.

I have ordered a Xantrex 60 Amp converter/charger and battery monitor from Best Converter, and have two new Deka 6V golf cart batteries (187 AH) sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted, along with battery hold down components, etc. I will work on cabling, fuse box conversion, etc. this weekend.

Looking forward to a lot of travel this Fall, in comfort.

Hi Mike; After seeing other rock guards I decided to do my own, because I do not like the way they fit and the way they install. I have purchased 2'X4' x 3/16" Polycarbonate [gray smoke] panels. In order to increase the resilience factor I intend heat form them to the curve and bubble shape of my 26' Arg windows. This will maintain even space between the glass window and the rock guard. The formed bubble will add strength and prevent the shade from contacting the glass should a heavy impact occur. For heat forming I will make two molds out of fiberglassed over Clegicell Foam. Clegicell Foam board is a hard urethane, 1/4" thick and cut to 1" squares. One side has a netting glued to it which allows you to attain the bubble form of the glass. Taped to a waxed with mold release wax window, I will fiberglass the outside with fiber mat and resin. This will be enough to maintain a shape until I fiberglass the other side. I will finish sand the glass side and then lay the polycarbonate over the mold and heat form the rock guard. Have few ideas about fastening them but I am not sure which route I will take. I will post some pics when done. Thanks,"Boatdoc"
Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have to say that if you take your time, as most of us do, the factory shades fit REALLY well. I am lucky to have had a very competent installer.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote