Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #1

Brake light socket needs to be replaced

Hello, new member here and a proud owner of a '73 Argosy 22. I'm looking for suggestions on the best and easiest way to replace the left tail light socket. Yes that's right, the little metal socket the bulb goes in to. The old one is very rusty and very loose. The bulb will not maintain contact. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Argoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Any good RV parts department can order the socket for you in either single or double wire configuration for about $6. The key issue you will need to deal with is the socket mounting method. Can you see how the socket is attached to the rest of the fixture? It may be soldered to the base plate or even be an integral part of the base plate in which case you may need to do some attachment work by soldering the socket base to the base plate with an added piece of metal as the support prop. Remember, the socket acts as the ground for the bulb via the base plate.

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

After thought: you may find the parts at a local auto parts store.

Rick
Old 09-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #4

Hi Rick. I can't really tell how the socket is connected to the base plate which is plastic. Looking into the socket there are 2 contact pins for the bulb and I'm guessing under those pins there is a rivet of some sort that holds the socket to the plastic. I'm going to have to get behind there to really find out I guess. On this '73 Argosy there is a extruded molded plastic affair across the entire rear of trailer and the brake, turn, backup lights are all mounted to or in that molded plastic. There is quite a bit of caulking/vulkem around the light assembly so I can't tell if they separate independently or what. Was hoping someone would know before I started physical research - LOL. Thanks again for your reply - jrc
Old 09-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Argoman

My '73 Argosy has the same extruded molded plastic piece as your unit; the light assembly is separate from that. I've got 6 screws, 3 on each side, that hold the light lens to the assembly. When you remove the lens, you can get to the assembly holddown screws -but you must have already done that since you know the condition of the bulb socket.

I think you've got to remove the light assembly to examine the backside of it to know how the socket is anchored to the plastic backed assembly. I bet there is a metal strip running from side to side to which each of the three sockets are attached. The metal strip should be attached to the assembly's plastic back. If that is how it is done, then you'd probably solder the new socket to the metal strip.

My sockets are in fine condition, but if the rain ever stops in Richmond, VA, I will take a look at my assembly because you've got me wondering about this.

Rick
Old 09-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #6

Thanks again Rick. Just knowing the assemblies are separate from that Plastic piece is good news in itself. Raining here too -- supposed to go throught the weekend. Remnants of Hur Frances. jrc.