Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
blue stripe?

Hey Guys,
Does anyone know where to get the stuff that goes in the middle of the trim on my '73 argosy,it kinda like wood but its blue.Is the original stuff out there or canyou use something plastic?
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Critter,
Try Out Of Doors Mart, they should have what you are looking for. Search their site for "decal", "stipe", or "rub rail"
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Roxbury , New York
I saw it an Inland RV but I am looking for the red stripe not blue, anyone??
pavlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The store at the factory has the stripes for a number of models, though perhaps not yours. Not sure you can order directly from them, but you can try a dealer, or the suggestions above.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Roxbury , New York
sorry actually i found it both in blue and orange at out of door mart, its under airstream maintenance.
pavlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Thanks Guys,
right again, out of doors had it
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Does anyone know if the full striping kits are available?

Nothing at Out of Doors it seems.

I will try to get pics up to show what I mean...our Argosy has a OEM blue striping (as well as some Airstream blue striping that I think was added by the owner after) package..3 different shades of blue (similar to the orange pattern that's more common) as well as "Argosy by Airstream" lettering.
I've yet to see another searching here or the web so far, that has this striping..maybe only offered in 1979.

lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
blue stripe?

Greetings lbrownah!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrownah View Post
Does anyone know if the full striping kits are available?

Nothing at Out of Doors it seems.

I will try to get pics up to show what I mean...our Argosy has a OEM blue striping (as well as some Airstream blue striping that I think was added by the owner after) package..3 different shades of blue (similar to the orange pattern that's more common) as well as "Argosy by Airstream" lettering.
I've yet to see another searching here or the web so far, that has this striping..maybe only offered in 1979.

You are correct in your speculation that the tape striping trim was a 1979 only feature. I have seen three colors that corresponded to the interior trim color - - Sky Blue, Spring Green, and Argosy Orange. The Rubrail and Beltline inserts were typically matched to the stripe color on the Sky Blue and Argosy Orange - - I am not absolutely certain what color insert was used in the Rubrail and Beltline moldings for coaches with the Spring Green trim.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've seen several different versions of the striping at the JC store. Check with the store for what they have. The phone number is on the Airstream website.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I have seen three colors that corresponded to the interior trim color - - Sky Blue, Spring Green, and Argosy Orange. The Rubrail and Beltline inserts were typically matched to the stripe color on the Sky Blue and Argosy Orange - - I am not absolutely certain what color insert was used in the Rubrail and Beltline moldings for coaches with the Spring Green trim.
Thanks Kevin.

Thanks to having complete documentation retained by the owners, I have the original owners manual, as well as all the instructions for the still original accessories (range, fridge) and add ons (electric jack, catalytic heater) as well as Airstream towing guide for 1979 (lists all the vehichles that could tow Airstreams and the required auto equipment)and the Argosy promo brochure.

In that promo brochure (other then the pages where one of the two owners cut out a picture assumeably of our model, and the page (that's on service.airstream.com) that has our model's floorplan also cut out), it shows the manufactring process, shows pictures of 30' Arogsy pulled by a Ford LTD Wagon and Pontiac Catalina, the standard eqiupment, floorplans, but also the 5 color schemes as to what color the drapes, the bed, the covering, counter top are. The 3 colors you mentioned, plus Brown, and, Red. The interior shots for the promo brochure are actually of the Red interior, with deep red carpet and everything else. That said, it doesn't mention anything about the exterior striping patterns associated with the interior selection.

One day I'll scan that brochure package and put it in the correct subforum. Truly great to have all that documention. The original owner even listed his gripes on the back page of the owners manual in advance of his 1000mile free warranty checkup. The owners manual is extensive and explains in plain language every feature and how to operate the trailer, with pictures and diagrams.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I've seen several different versions of the striping at the JC store. Check with the store for what they have. The phone number is on the Airstream website.

Gene
No luck, called the JC Store yesterday and they got back to me today saying that they don't have that, and suggested I get a local graphics shop to re-create them.

Just makes me wonder how many blue striped Argosy's were made in that only year of that style striping, 1979...I don't imagine that sort of info is available from Airstream, is it?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Since you will have to remove the old striping to put on the new (If it can be found) have you considered just painting the new stripes on? The trailer itself is painted and when the vinyl stripe is taken off it will leave a nice reference mark for masking tape. My guess is that the original stripes were done in vinyl instead of painted as a cost savings not because it was a superior finish.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote