Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Black tank fun and games...

I have a project for this weekend, removing the toilet and black tank in our '72 20' Argosy. The tank to valve interface has a nasty leak (I think it may be a cracked piece of PVC pipe) that I can't get at from the bottom, so it's time to pull the tank. Looking at the bathroom, it appears that I have to remove the sink, then the vanity, unbolt the toilet and remove the raised floor before I can get the tank out. Does this sound right? The kick panel in front of the tank has seen better days, so I'll be making a new one when everything goes back together.

While I'm at it... My sink is fugly, very discolored and nasty looking - even when cleaned. I was thinking about lightly sanding it down and painting it with an epoxy based paint. As an alternative, I have also thought about taking it to a place that repairs fiberglass boats and have a white gel-coat finish applied. Needless to say, if this works, the shower pan and wall mounted shower console will get the same treatment.

Any thoughts or comments?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Black Tank

You are right on about the removal. You will find that the toilet sits on the black tank with a piece of 1/8" plywood between. I built a platform around the tank with 3/4 X 3/4 oak and topped it with 1/4" alum., which made the toilet stable.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
You are right on about the removal. You will find that the toilet sits on the black tank with a piece of 1/8" plywood between. I built a platform around the tank with 3/4 X 3/4 oak and topped it with 1/4" alum., which made the toilet stable.

Don
Thanks Don, I was afraid I was right... At least the tank is clean!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That' it!

Take the time to drill out the rivets, and it really will go by fast. I say about 2 hrs and it will be apart. This is a good time to check out the plumbing in the rear for cracks. It seems like they get freeze damage where they go behind the shower.... PEX is an easy repair product for those pipes.
I say get that top cleaned and sprayed (I remember someone used a POR 15 product with excellent results here).
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh yeah. Get a new seal for the bottom of your toilet - or just get a new throne while you're at it.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Oh yeah. Get a new seal for the bottom of your toilet - or just get a new throne while you're at it.
Marc
Funny you should mention that... I think that with all the travel we plan with this trailer, we deserve a new john.

Like the King said to the Prince, "Never give up a chance to sit on the throne"

TAC - NJ-007