Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Bathroom renovation - phase I

Liz and I tore the bathroom out of the '72 Argosy today. Our initial idea was just to get the black tank out, but we went one step beyond and took out the shower as well. There is a local shop (Dr. Gelcoat) who will be refinishing the sink, shower pan, and shower control console.

We didn't like what we found when we got the black tank out - a LOT of plywood damage. The black tank also has two pretty major splits on the bottom where the screws attach the dump valve assembly. The upper attachment point for the toilet flange is also broken, so the tank is pretty much toast. There is a crack in one corner of the shower pan, but the folks at Dr. Gelcoat can fix it good as new. I put up a bunch of pictures on my Flickr page so ya'll can see the extent of the damage to the plywood and the black tank.

After a lot of discussion, we've decided to forgo replacing the black tank, instead we are going to get a Thetford 465E electric flush Porta-Potti. The 465E has a 5 gallon waste tank (our black tank was only 10 gallons) and is the same height as a standard household toilet. The physical size of the 465E is perfect for this installation. We'll build a fixture to hold it in place when traveling so it won't be rattling around back there. I don't have any personal aversion to using or emptying the Porta-Potti (we have one with our Base Camp), and there are some real advantages for us to go that route.

My biggest problem is how to replace the damaged plywood. Can anyone suggest a good way to make those repairs?

BTW - When I was under the trailer disconnecting the shower trap, I discovered that I have some frame rot to repair (no pix). I'm going to have to replace the belly pan from the back of the wheel wells aft, so the frame repairs will happen when I pull all of that off.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'm sure that your floor can be replaced in a manner similar to vintage Airstreams' floors. Many threads here have the details. I'm about to face that problem myself on one of my vintage AS.

Welcome and good luck.

Zep
Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Sorry, no pix this time...

I replaced a good portion of the floor in the bathroom today, NOT a fun job by any stretch of the imagination, but very satisfying now that it's done.

I'm beat...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Check this out, may help?

Bathroom Removal

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Plumbing is done!

I spent a portion of the weekend redoing the plumbing in the Argosy. I figured while the bathroom is out, it's the perfect time to update.

There was no main cut off valves for the hot or cold, so I added 1/2" ball valves, terminating them with 1/2" male thread connections. Next I made manifolds for both cold and hot water. The manifolds connect to the main shut off valves with braided stainless steel faucet connection hoses. Each manifold has connections (with their own ball shut off valves) for bathroom sink, shower, and the lines that run to the kitchen sink. I don't know who changed out the kitchen lines, but they are gray flexable plastic with 1/2" female pipe connections on the ends. I made some short 1/2" male to male connectors with copper fittings and short lengths of pipe to terminate those lines, and the kitchen lines now connect to the manifolds via reinforced 12" PVC sink connection lines. The next step is to mount the manifolds to a piece of plywood which will be mounted to the back wall, inside the back of the vanity (I'm making a new one this week).

I was rather pleased with myself when I put water in the tank and fired up the pump. After bleeding the air out of the system - NO LEAKS!

Liz found a real nice bathroom sink fixture at the local hardware store. We're now looking for a new kitchen faucet.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
I spent a portion of the weekend redoing the plumbing in the Argosy. I figured while the bathroom is out, it's the perfect time to update.

There was no main cut off valves for the hot or cold, so I added 1/2" ball valves, ...

Liz found a real nice bathroom sink fixture at the local hardware store. We're now looking for a new kitchen faucet.
Where are the pix? I'd like to see the sink, for sure.

I only use a cutoff valve for the toilet and the hot water heater. The toilet is so sensitive to freezing, that little plastic valve. I cut off the hot water heater so that I can prevent draining that 6 gallons when I feel like I have to drain the rest of the system when it's really cold at night.

Zep
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Where are the pix? I'd like to see the sink, for sure.

I only use a cutoff valve for the toilet and the hot water heater. The toilet is so sensitive to freezing, that little plastic valve. I cut off the hot water heater so that I can prevent draining that 6 gallons when I feel like I have to drain the rest of the system when it's really cold at night.

Zep
The sink, shower pan, and shower console are at Dr. Gelcoat in Middletown, NJ getting a nice clean coat of white epoxy paint. I'll have pix up when I get the parts back.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
"Bathroom" is starting to become "trailer"...

We finished priming the inside of the trailer last night (needed a second coat in a couple of areas, a third in others). Glidden Gripper seems to work great over the vinyl coating on the walls, and it really covers the stains nicely on the endcaps.

After we yanked out the carpet and got rid of what seemed like 20 pounds of beach sand (a trip to Florida, without leaving home), we found more plywood that needed to be repaired. The area by the water pump was so rotted I could push a finger though the floor. Likewise, there was an area by the front door and fridge where the plywood was shot, and an area curbside under the front gaucho that needed some serious attention. With all of that fixed, we'll be putting a fresh coat of paint on the interior this weekend.

I cheated a little on the plywood repairs. After cutting away the rot and cleaning out the C channel, I cut some oversized pieces of 1/2" ply and screwed them under the floor around the areas of the hole, leaving a 3" or so ledge. I then cut and fit replacement floor, slipping it into the C channel and resting on the ledges, then screwing to down. It seems to be plenty strong. Any gaps were then filled with floor leveler compound.

We bought 3 sheets of 1/4" birch plywood at Home Depot as a new floor surface, as well as 4 boxes of Traffic Master Allure in light oak. With any luck, we'll have a floor by the end of next week, though I'm going to hold off if the shower and sink don't come back from Dr. Gelcoat by then. I really want to get the bathroom FINISHED before putting down the final flooring.

Liz has been making a list of my "winter projects", not the least of which will be making replacements for the plastic bins under the gauchos. We really don't trust them with heavy items (35 year old plastic), so I'll be firing up the table saw and making new drawers. I'll put them on proper glides while I'm at it. The furnace is also a winter project, as is some floor repair next to the furnace. I would have done that section with the rest of the floor repairs, but I didn't want to yank the furnace just yet and it's got to come out to fix the plywood.

Our kitchen backsplash is a rotted mess, so I ground off the screws coming through the top of the counter (they heads are under the cleat holding the countertop to the wall). We'll be using some 2" wide angle aluminum that will get sealed to the countertop and riveted to the wall as a backsplash. It should look fine.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Wow! It sounds awesome!!! NICE work!

Will you come do ours next???

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Wow! It sounds awesome!!! NICE work!

Will you come do ours next???

Susan
Like the jailer said, "For a fee, I'll set you free!"

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Pics, Bob, Pics! (I'm not seeing anything but some BC pics in your photo album)
Please?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Some Pix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Pics, Bob, Pics! (I'm not seeing anything but some BC pics in your photo album)
Please?
Marc
I'll do these a couple at a time with some explainations...

First pictures: This will give you an idea of how bad the plywood was under the black tank... It wasn't much better at the back of the shower either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6626.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	47941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6634.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	47942  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Water supply manifolds...

The pix aren't great, but hey, I was hot and sweaty... The hot water manifold is upside down in this shot. Not my best soldering, but it doesn't leak!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6924.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	47943  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Rot by the door...

Liz shot these while I was getting ready to rip into the job. This is what greeted us when we pulled up the carpet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6920.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	47944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6928.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	47945  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Water pump floor rot...

Here's a lovely sequence, as found, poke a few fingers, cut away rot prior to being patched...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6917.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	47946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6931.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	47947  

Name:	DSC_6935.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	47948  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
At end of gaucho, curb side...

This was a lot of fun as well...

As found, then patched prior to gap filling with floor leveler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6918.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	47950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6933.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	47951  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Hey, nice hamper!

This will be replaced. One of my "winter projects"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6943.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	47952  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Not great pix, but a nice color contrast

Note the color of the endcap and wall prior to priming, then with one coat of Glidden Gripper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6948.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	47953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6950.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	47954  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I couldn't let this one pass...

Here is Liz with Sam, our porch kitty. Sam spends a lot of time in the trailer while were working on it. He's completely fearless, never runs from the sound of the shop vac, power tools, or my swearing...

He's a neutered male, and I'd move him inside the house in a second IF he didn't spray like a crop duster...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6945.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	47955  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
I'm sure that your floor can be replaced in a manner similar to vintage Airstreams' floors. Many threads here have the details. I'm about to face that problem myself on one of my vintage AS.

Welcome and good luck.

Zep

Hey Zep, They are all vintage Airstreams in your posse.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote