Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
Ball hitch height on a 1976 Argosy 24'

I have to transport myself and truck out to New York state to pick up the Argosy I just purchased. I don't know what the ball hitch height is, mounted on the tongue, for this trailer. I need to purchase all the correct parts for my trailer hitch before leaving town to pick up the trailer.

Bob
btophek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Does it come with the load distributor hitch?
A ball larger than 2" may be needed also... mine has a 2 3/16" I think, something like that.
If you have to buy a hitch, most are adjustable.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by btophek View Post
I have to transport myself and truck out to New York state to pick up the Argosy I just purchased. I don't know what the ball hitch height is, mounted on the tongue, for this trailer. I need to purchase all the correct parts for my trailer hitch before leaving town to pick up the trailer.

Bob
The ball heigth can vary by 3 inches, or more, depending on the condition of the axles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Does it come with the load distributor hitch?
A ball larger than 2" may be needed also... mine has a 2 3/16" I think, something like that.
If you have to buy a hitch, most are adjustable.

Take a look here. Airstream, Inc :: 70s. Scroll down.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
The trailer does come with a weight distribution hitch and the ball size is 2 & 5/16".

Bob
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
Thanks for your help everybody.

Bob
Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ball hitch height on a 1976 Argosy 24'

Greetings Bob!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Some things that you might want to be aware of as you prepare to tow your Argosy home are:
  • The trailer electrical connector will likely be wired to a pattern that is not compatible with the modern wiring standard. Traveling with a trailer end that matches your truck's connector is a good insurance policy as re-wiring the trailer end is typically a rather high probability.
  • If your truck doesn't have a functioning electric trailer brake controller, you will need to have one installed to insure operable trailer brakes.
  • You may want to bring a new spare breakaway switch as these are often inoperable on a coach that has sat for an extended amount of time. The part isn't terribly expensive, is quite easy to install, and is an important safety device (the coach must have a charged house battery for this device to be functional).
  • If the coach is being purchased with a weight distributing hitch, it is advisable to make certain that the drawbar has sufficient drop or lift to be appropriate for your tow vehicle. New drawbard are available in most better stocked RV parts stores, but you will need to know the manufacturer of the hitch in order to source the correct parts.
Good luck with your expedition!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
Thanks for the advice about towing It's much appreciated. My truck has the 7 pin round connector and the trailer has the same. I'm good there. I need to install a brake controller yet. Any recommendation as to what models work well? I'm not too familiar with the break away switch. I'll have to become more educated with that.

Bob
Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bob,

Quite a few choices out there. My personal favorite is the Prodigy from Tekonsha. I use an earlier version of the P2 and once dialed in works great for anything from triple axle equipment trailers all the way down to my single axle popup.

Break away switch is required by state law in most states, depending on the trailer weight.

It is a loop wire that is connected to the bumper (usually) that will pull a pin to activate the brakes on the trailer if the hitch and/or safety chains fail. It has to have battery power on the trailer for it to work. Some use the house battery others have their own little battery in a case.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Thanks for the advice about towing It's much appreciated. My truck has the 7 pin round connector and the trailer has the same. I'm good there. I need to install a brake controller yet. Any recommendation as to what models work well? I'm not too familiar with the break away switch. I'll have to become more educated with that.

Bob
Hi Bob
You might not be good, its possible, even likely that the 7 pin on the trailer is wired differently than the tow vehicle you are using. When we collected ours, I took a copy of a wiring diagram, just in case. Well it turned out we needed it. Did the re-wire and then we were good.
Just a bit of FYI for what its worth.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
BOB
You didnt indicate what brand TV you have. Now I have a 2001 F350 and Ford puts in the wiring on all models ordered with a hitch and the 7 way plug. Now the lites were active I think. I went to my local RV store and purchased the mating plug and a controller. I took off a panel on the dash,found the plug,pluged in the mating plug and connected the color coded wires to the color coded controller. Only took me about 1/2 hr. My controller was only about 25 or 30 bucks and works great. The plug and the controller was originally purchased for my 94 f -150 but in that amount of time FORD never changed the mating plugs under the dash so I was in luck. I use my controller for both my 18 ft flat bed and my Airstream. Hitch hieghts vary with the Brand and hitch combs. The trailer level will be about 19 inches give or take a couple of inches or as many as 4 inches difference as mine was because of bad axles. I used a 4 inch drop to start with and then sold it when I changed axles because I regained that 4 inches in trailer height.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for your help everybody.

Bob
The wiring colors on your Argosy, is as follows.

White (the largest pin) ground.
Green tail and running lights.
Red left turn
Brown right turn,
Yellow brakes.
Blue charge line (12 volts DC)
Black Back up

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
WOW!!!!! more great advice thanks everybody. My TV in case anyone wishes to know is a 1996 Dodge Ram D2500 4X4.

Bob
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Opps SORRY BOB
Im not a DODGE person so you may have to consult your nearest RV dealer or UHAUL rental place. They install hitches and controllers all the time and Im sure they would have the info you need.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Lightbulb I Agree--Yet My return trip was different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Bob!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Some things that you might want to be aware of as you prepare to tow your Argosy home are:
  • The trailer electrical connector will likely be wired to a pattern that is not compatible with the modern wiring standard. Traveling with a trailer end that matches your truck's connector is a good insurance policy as re-wiring the trailer end is typically a rather high probability.
  • If your truck doesn't have a functioning electric trailer brake controller, you will need to have one installed to insure operable trailer brakes.
  • You may want to bring a new spare breakaway switch as these are often inoperable on a coach that has sat for an extended amount of time. The part isn't terribly expensive, is quite easy to install, and is an important safety device (the coach must have a charged house battery for this device to be functional).
  • If the coach is being purchased with a weight distributing hitch, it is advisable to make certain that the drawbar has sufficient drop or lift to be appropriate for your tow vehicle. New drawbard are available in most better stocked RV parts stores, but you will need to know the manufacturer of the hitch in order to source the correct parts.
Good luck with your expedition!

Kevin
Greetings,
I made the 330 mile trip, brake controller in hand(TV wired for 7 pin connector) 4 pin existing. 3 different hitches(just in case).

Got there on a Saturday late-afternoon...looked trailer over, bought it and started the hookup.

Well, no batteries on trailer--they were all tied in to the off-grid home.

1. tried running a lead from TV battery just to lower the electric jack (in combination with an adapter 4pin to 7 pin adapter I had made(for lights)...
No GO--removed the electric tongue jack.

2. found out that running lights weren't working either--probably because of the different wiring configuration(this was after I had left and it was getting dark) . So, stopped for the night.

3. Ran out of time to get the electrical connections squared away...No Trailer brakes or running lights now!

4. Got going Sun A.M. just to get a flat tire...and everything was closed--that was expensive!!

Well...Needless to Say(sorta): BE PREPARRED and Allow travel when places are OPEN!

I did make it back in one piece...luckily most was through scenic--low populated areas...Fortunately.

But, from My experience...makes sure You have what You need; and things You might not think You need--Just in Case.

Congrats on Your Argosy and have a Great Road Trip!!!

Christopher