Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Lightbulb I Agree--Yet My return trip was different...

Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Bob!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Some things that you might want to be aware of as you prepare to tow your Argosy home are:
  • The trailer electrical connector will likely be wired to a pattern that is not compatible with the modern wiring standard. Traveling with a trailer end that matches your truck's connector is a good insurance policy as re-wiring the trailer end is typically a rather high probability.
  • If your truck doesn't have a functioning electric trailer brake controller, you will need to have one installed to insure operable trailer brakes.
  • You may want to bring a new spare breakaway switch as these are often inoperable on a coach that has sat for an extended amount of time. The part isn't terribly expensive, is quite easy to install, and is an important safety device (the coach must have a charged house battery for this device to be functional).
  • If the coach is being purchased with a weight distributing hitch, it is advisable to make certain that the drawbar has sufficient drop or lift to be appropriate for your tow vehicle. New drawbard are available in most better stocked RV parts stores, but you will need to know the manufacturer of the hitch in order to source the correct parts.
Good luck with your expedition!

I made the 330 mile trip, brake controller in hand(TV wired for 7 pin connector) 4 pin existing. 3 different hitches(just in case).

Got there on a Saturday late-afternoon...looked trailer over, bought it and started the hookup.

Well, no batteries on trailer--they were all tied in to the off-grid home.

1. tried running a lead from TV battery just to lower the electric jack (in combination with an adapter 4pin to 7 pin adapter I had made(for lights)...
No GO--removed the electric tongue jack.

2. found out that running lights weren't working either--probably because of the different wiring configuration(this was after I had left and it was getting dark) . So, stopped for the night.

3. Ran out of time to get the electrical connections squared away...No Trailer brakes or running lights now!

4. Got going Sun A.M. just to get a flat tire...and everything was closed--that was expensive!!

Well...Needless to Say(sorta): BE PREPARRED and Allow travel when places are OPEN!

I did make it back in one piece...luckily most was through scenic--low populated areas...Fortunately.

But, from My experience...makes sure You have what You need; and things You might not think You need--Just in Case.

Congrats on Your Argosy and have a Great Road Trip!!!

Logic, Reasoning and Cost Happening....All Part of the Visualization--Not a Rationalization...
chowman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote