Okay, final chapter of the axle situation. I wound up ordering a henschen axle through Inland RV. I found Andy to be very helpful. I wound up going with the complete axle only because I priced the individual components through other sources and it seemed to be a more expensive proposition. Going with adapting a Dexter axle did not make much economic sense as all of the quotes I was able to obtain locally were more than replacing with original equipment. I had a very short time frame to work with as we are off on a big road trip at the end of this week, so I wound up paying extra to have the axle expidited. The axle was delivered by Yellow Freight and the charges were less than $100, so that was a pleasant surprise after being quoted an estimate for shipping of $200 or so. The axle was shipped just as it was with no packing material around it. I had heard stories of damage being inflicted on the axle because of this. The only damage was a couple of dented dust caps for the bearings which is no biggie. I had soaked the old nuts and bolts on the trailer a few days in advance of receiving the axle with my favorite penentrant (Gibbs Brand, good stuff if you can find it). I jacked up the trailer and un-bolted the old axle and dropped it on the driveway. I took and extra day to grind off some rust and repaint the frame in the axle area to make it look prettier. Bolting up the new axle was fairly easy. Another set of hands would have been helpful but strangely all my neighbors weren't around at the key time. I managed to jack it into position with a floor jack and secure the two front bolts. They with the floor jack and a scissors jack borrowed from the wifes car I jacked up the back of the axle and bolted it into place. I hooked up the brakes, and verified that the factory had packed the wheel bearings (they did) and had to crank the trailer up more to get clearance to get the wheels back on. The job would have gone a bit quicker if I did not have to stop every hour or so and chat with various passerbys about what I was doing.
There is a significant difference in height, I would say about 4" higher than the old worn out axle, so it should roll down the road pretty smooth. I put new shocks in too. All in all it was a bit more expensive than I thought, but now that it is done, it should be good to go for the forseeable future.
Now, if I can get my tow vehicle back from the transmission shop in time, we can hit the road as scheduled.