Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Auto-on furnace

My furnace is self lighting. I simply turned up the thermostat and it kicks on. Within a miute it's blowing out very warm air.

I can't tell you how many times we have woke up, or gone to bed, seeing our breath in our old Boler trailer. The fact I will now have heat is increadible.

Do most people sleep with the furnace on? If so, what's the main danger, low oxoygen due to the propane burning.....Carbon Monoxide isn't an issue is it? I'm thinking a detector may be in order, but to detect what?

Having fun,

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S
My furnace is self lighting. I simply turned up the thermostat and it kicks on. Within a miute it's blowing out very warm air.

I can't tell you how many times we have woke up, or gone to bed, seeing our breath in our old Boler trailer. The fact I will now have heat is increadible.

Do most people sleep with the furnace on? If so, what's the main danger, low oxoygen due to the propane burning.....Carbon Monoxide isn't an issue is it? I'm thinking a detector may be in order, but to detect what?

Having fun,

Dan
Dan,
The furnace has a sealed combustion chamber so if everything is operating properly CO is not going to happen nor is oxygen depletion. However! I would at the very least get both a smoke detector and a CO detector installed. Also how old is your furnace? There was a recall on the Suburban furnaces several years ago. IIRC it had to do with the hose that connected the exhaust/air intake to the outside. If it failed it could cause CO to build up inside the trailer.
Edit: Here is a LINK to a thread dealing with the recall.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Manual was included

The owners manual was included with the trailer. It's a Duo-Therm "Direct Spark" ignition model. The manual has complete wiring & troubleshooting guide.

The manual is very old and I wonder if this came standard in 1977 or if this was a mod by the previous owner?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
The owners manual was included with the trailer. It's a Duo-Therm "Direct Spark" ignition model. The manual has complete wiring & troubleshooting guide.

The manual is very old and I wonder if this came standard in 1977 or if this was a mod by the previous owner?
As far as I know there has not been a recall on the Duo-Therm only the Suburban. Perhaps it was replaced at some point, or it may be that is what they were installing in the Argosies at that point.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Everyone should have a CO, LPG and smoke detector in the trailer. LPG mounted low as LPG is heavier than air which is what makes it so dangerous.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Do they make combo units or do you need to buy three different detectors?

Dan
Old 03-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Do they make combo units or do you need to buy three different detectors?

Dan
Dan,
I am pretty sure that the LP is a stand alone detector I have not seen a combo on the CO/Smoke either, so I guess it will be 3 separate detectors. CO/Smoke detector. Also the LP detector needs to be mounted low while the smoke and CO are mounted higher.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My ceiling mounted detector does smoke and CO and is battery powered. My LP detector stands alone down by the floor and is wired into the 12VDC. Both are very simple installations.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote