Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Argosy..Why no Numbers on top?

Just wondering why most of the airstreams I see have Red numbers on top. I haven't seen a Argosy with numbers yet. Is it wrong? WBCCI number right?
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
They could join WBCCI with an Argosy,maybe they were just smart enough not to.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We occasionally display our WBCCI numbers. They are glued a magnetic oval (the kind they make signs for truck doors out of) and we just slap it up on the front end cap when needed. Mostly it's not needed.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I tried to join a couple years back and they wouldn't let me, citing I didn't have a qualified AS............since I've decided I'd rather not anyway...

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
I tried to join a couple years back and they wouldn't let me, citing I didn't have a qualified AS............since I've decided I'd rather not anyway...

Al

SO the argosy is not qualified as an airstream?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post

Al
Somebody didn't have a clue. Argosy's are Airstreams and are allowed in the WBCCI. If they were going to leave something out, it should have been the SOB styled MoHo...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
SO the argosy is not qualified as an airstream?

Hold on... See post #3. Janet has two Argosy's and is a member of the WBCCI.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Argosys can join WBCCI. We have several in our unit.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This is an old arguement. Argosys didn't used to be allowed, but they have been for a long time now.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Br549

if someone told me not to, or that I did not meet their requirements...

I would have a set of red numbers up there before I sleep.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post

I like your way of thinking!!!

Shane
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post

Or some big red letters
Old 12-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
In the long run I don't think it was really that important. I've been told several times I can, and I know I have an AS product. After all the reading I've done on it, I'm fine without it. I've seen other Argosy's with the reg # as well.........besides.....

...........those red letters would clash with my paint scheme!

Hope everyone has a marvelous and safe Holiday Season!

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy..Why no Numbers on top??

When our first generation Argosys (1972 - 1979) were new, Argosy coaches were not welcome in the WBCCI. It wouldn't be until the early 1990s when the issue of allowing motorhomes and "B" class vans came up. The Argosys basically were accepted due to a slight change in the club's language regarding eligibility -- it was at this time that the eligibility statement was reworded to read:

An adult who owns a recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/XX/9X)

The language was modified again when the issue of the Base Camp came up such that it now reads:

An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

The sad fact is that it appears some units are more welcoming to Argosy owners than others. I had owned my Airstream for more than a decade when I acquired my Argosy so I never really experienced what a novice Argosy owner/member may have experienced. I have heard a few "unpleasant" comments when parading into the International Rally over the years. Most memorable for me was when parading into the Rally at Bozeman, I was towing my Minuet with my Cadillac top down to enjoy the weather -- while stopped waiting for the parade to begin moving into the bullpen area, I overheard a member say: "I still don't understand why we allowed those cheap painted trailers into the club."

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
When our first generation Argosys (1972 - 1979) were new, Argosy coaches were not welcome in the WBCCI. It wouldn't be until the early 1990s when the issue of allowing motorhomes and "B" class vans came up. The Argosys basically were accepted due to a slight change in the club's language regarding eligibility -- it was at this time that the eligibility statement was reworded to read:

An adult who owns a recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/XX/9X)

The language was modified again when the issue of the Base Camp came up such that it now reads:

An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

The sad fact is that it appears some units are more welcoming to Argosy owners than others. I had owned my Airstream for more than a decade when I acquired my Argosy so I never really experienced what a novice Argosy owner/member may have experienced. I have heard a few "unpleasant" comments when parading into the International Rally over the years. Most memorable for me was when parading into the Rally at Bozeman, I was towing my Minuet with my Cadillac top down to enjoy the weather -- while stopped waiting for the parade to begin moving into the bullpen area, I overheard a member say: "I still don't understand why we allowed those cheap painted trailers into the club."

Kevin
Amazing some people. Personally, I would like to talk to that person one on one. I just don't understand some people.

I love my "PIll"

Thank-you for all the comments. Even the the "nice coach" makes me feel good inside. I like this sight. A lot of information and some of the the Pm's from people here have made and my wife feel special.
Shane
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As I have heard the story, Argosys were intended to be an 'entry level' trailer to get people hooked on Airstreaming, and withholding membership in the club was supposed to be one of the incentives to stepping up to a 'real' airstream. So there's bound to have been a few snobs who felt that the club should have been restricted to those who could afford the silver variety, just to keep the riff-raff out.

Now in my opinion Argys are actually as nice or nicer than the same vintage Airstreams, as long as you don't mind them not being silver. I wish my trailer had the big wrap around front windows! And I love the rear-door argosy layouts. Personally, I would be very happy to have an Argosy, they are really great trailers.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Stephanie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
As I have heard the story, Argosys were intended to be an 'entry level' trailer to get people hooked on Airstreaming, and withholding membership in the club was supposed to be one of the incentives to stepping up to a 'real' airstream. So there's bound to have been a few snobs who felt that the club should have been restricted to those who could afford the silver variety, just to keep the riff-raff out.
It is more than just legend. This was the exact purpose as stated in the Trailer Life article announcing the introduction of Argosy trailers in 1972. The mission or purpose of the Argosy was also repeated in the preface to the early model owners' manual (I am not certain when that page was removed from the manuals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Now in my opinion Argys are actually as nice or nicer than the same vintage Airstreams, as long as you don't mind them not being silver. I wish my trailer had the big wrap around front windows! And I love the rear-door argosy layouts. Personally, I would be very happy to have an Argosy, they are really great trailers.
As you point out, what some of the naysayers don't realize is that these poor little painted coaches pioneered some of the features that current day Airstreamers rave about. The number of unusual but very livable features found their homes originally in our Argosy coaches is a rather varied group. The universal use of the deep-wrap wing windows in the front of the coaches is one of particular interest -- as is the use of these deep-wrap wing windows in the rear of coaches with the rear bedroom. The rear-entry floorplans in 22' and 24' coaches; and who can forget the composite aluminum floors in some of the 6.0 and 6.7 Metre Minuets.

I have always considered the WBCCI administration to have something of a blind-eye toward any Airstream products other than the raw aluminum, rivited trailer coaches. Even the Motorhomes that created such a stir when they were discontinued were not eligible for WBCCI membership until the early 1990s including the popular B-190 Van. My assumption has been that those who walk lock-step with the national organization and IBT often express these rather narrow views -- so long as it doesn't trickle down to my Local Unit, I don't get overly disturbed as it isn't a widely held belief among the younger WBCCI members.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I don't get overly disturbed as it isn't a widely held belief among the younger WBCCI members.

Kevin
You're right - we're frequently the ones buying Argosys! I was amused - when we took the tour at Jackson Center this July, Don the tour guide told us "A good way to start out is an Argosy - you can usually save some money buying one over an Airstream."

Old Argosy brochures make it very clear that you couldn't join the WBCCI. Membership in the club must have been a much stronger selling point for Airstream then than now.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
I only know what I have read on the forums about WBCCI, and from that limited information, I wouldn't want my Argosy in that organization. Like unpainted aluminum makes a difference.

We searched long and hard for an Airstream product and made the conscious decision to buy an Argosy. More personality IMHO.
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Old Argosy brochures make it very clear that you couldn't join the WBCCI. Membership in the club must have been a much stronger selling point for Airstream then than now.

Tom
In the 1970s, the Airstream mistique was near one of its peaks. WBCCI membership and participation was also at one of its peaks. It was during this time period that International Rally attendance attained 3,000 families and approached 4,000 families. It is also my understanding that during this time frame, many dealers would include a one-year membership in WBCCI with the purchase of a new coach.

Kevin
AIR #827