Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
When our first generation Argosys (1972 - 1979) were new, Argosy coaches were not welcome in the WBCCI. It wouldn't be until the early 1990s when the issue of allowing motorhomes and "B" class vans came up. The Argosys basically were accepted due to a slight change in the club's language regarding eligibility -- it was at this time that the eligibility statement was reworded to read:

An adult who owns a recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/XX/9X)

The language was modified again when the issue of the Base Camp came up such that it now reads:

An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufac­tured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)

The sad fact is that it appears some units are more welcoming to Argosy owners than others. I had owned my Airstream for more than a decade when I acquired my Argosy so I never really experienced what a novice Argosy owner/member may have experienced. I have heard a few "unpleasant" comments when parading into the International Rally over the years. Most memorable for me was when parading into the Rally at Bozeman, I was towing my Minuet with my Cadillac top down to enjoy the weather -- while stopped waiting for the parade to begin moving into the bullpen area, I overheard a member say: "I still don't understand why we allowed those cheap painted trailers into the club."

Kevin
Amazing some people. Personally, I would like to talk to that person one on one. I just don't understand some people.

I love my "PIll"

Thank-you for all the comments. Even the the "nice coach" makes me feel good inside. I like this sight. A lot of information and some of the the Pm's from people here have made and my wife feel special.
Shane

Old 12-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As I have heard the story, Argosys were intended to be an 'entry level' trailer to get people hooked on Airstreaming, and withholding membership in the club was supposed to be one of the incentives to stepping up to a 'real' airstream. So there's bound to have been a few snobs who felt that the club should have been restricted to those who could afford the silver variety, just to keep the riff-raff out.

Now in my opinion Argys are actually as nice or nicer than the same vintage Airstreams, as long as you don't mind them not being silver. I wish my trailer had the big wrap around front windows! And I love the rear-door argosy layouts. Personally, I would be very happy to have an Argosy, they are really great trailers.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy..Why no Numbers on top?

Greetings Stephanie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
As I have heard the story, Argosys were intended to be an 'entry level' trailer to get people hooked on Airstreaming, and withholding membership in the club was supposed to be one of the incentives to stepping up to a 'real' airstream. So there's bound to have been a few snobs who felt that the club should have been restricted to those who could afford the silver variety, just to keep the riff-raff out.
It is more than just legend. This was the exact purpose as stated in the Trailer Life article announcing the introduction of Argosy trailers in 1972. The mission or purpose of the Argosy was also repeated in the preface to the early model owners' manual (I am not certain when that page was removed from the manuals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Now in my opinion Argys are actually as nice or nicer than the same vintage Airstreams, as long as you don't mind them not being silver. I wish my trailer had the big wrap around front windows! And I love the rear-door argosy layouts. Personally, I would be very happy to have an Argosy, they are really great trailers.
As you point out, what some of the naysayers don't realize is that these poor little painted coaches pioneered some of the features that current day Airstreamers rave about. The number of unusual but very livable features found their homes originally in our Argosy coaches is a rather varied group. The universal use of the deep-wrap wing windows in the front of the coaches is one of particular interest -- as is the use of these deep-wrap wing windows in the rear of coaches with the rear bedroom. The rear-entry floorplans in 22' and 24' coaches; and who can forget the composite aluminum floors in some of the 6.0 and 6.7 Metre Minuets.

I have always considered the WBCCI administration to have something of a blind-eye toward any Airstream products other than the raw aluminum, rivited trailer coaches. Even the Motorhomes that created such a stir when they were discontinued were not eligible for WBCCI membership until the early 1990s including the popular B-190 Van. My assumption has been that those who walk lock-step with the national organization and IBT often express these rather narrow views -- so long as it doesn't trickle down to my Local Unit, I don't get overly disturbed as it isn't a widely held belief among the younger WBCCI members.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I don't get overly disturbed as it isn't a widely held belief among the younger WBCCI members.

Kevin
You're right - we're frequently the ones buying Argosys! I was amused - when we took the tour at Jackson Center this July, Don the tour guide told us "A good way to start out is an Argosy - you can usually save some money buying one over an Airstream."

Old Argosy brochures make it very clear that you couldn't join the WBCCI. Membership in the club must have been a much stronger selling point for Airstream then than now.

Tom
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
I only know what I have read on the forums about WBCCI, and from that limited information, I wouldn't want my Argosy in that organization. Like unpainted aluminum makes a difference.

We searched long and hard for an Airstream product and made the conscious decision to buy an Argosy. More personality IMHO.
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Old Argosy brochures make it very clear that you couldn't join the WBCCI. Membership in the club must have been a much stronger selling point for Airstream then than now.

Tom
In the 1970s, the Airstream mistique was near one of its peaks. WBCCI membership and participation was also at one of its peaks. It was during this time period that International Rally attendance attained 3,000 families and approached 4,000 families. It is also my understanding that during this time frame, many dealers would include a one-year membership in WBCCI with the purchase of a new coach.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
I only know what I have read on the forums about WBCCI, and from that limited information, I wouldn't want my Argosy in that organization. Like unpainted aluminum makes a difference.

We searched long and hard for an Airstream product and made the conscious decision to buy an Argosy. More personality IMHO.
Argosy coaches are welcomed in most of the local Units -- I have never felt anything but welcome at the Unit Rallys that I have attended. I suspect that there were a few of the old-guard members who weren't happy about the inclusion of Argosy coaches, but they didn't say too much around me. In fact, the atmosphere at the International Rally has been welcoming as well -- I didn't mean to imply that the member whom I quoted in my earlier post was expressing anything approaching a widely held opinion -- just one that I have heard periodically since I began traveling with my Argosy.

While not often mentioned today, there were some Units where vintage coaches weren't particularly welcomed by some members because it was thought that these old coaches were detrimental to the image of the club. This was in the days when the Vintage Airstream Club was in its infancy -- with the positive publicity garnered by this Intra-Club along with its boost to membership numbers; it wasn't long before any existing animosity disappeared.

Kevin

P.S.: I can remember a telephone conversation I had with a membership person in one of the Units near me in 1995 when I had just purchased my 1964 Overlander. She said: "I will have to check with headquarters, I don't think coaches as old as yours are eligible for membership." Needless to say, I continued investigating and received a very positive welcome from another of the Units in my region -- and it is that Unit to which I still belong today.
AIR #827
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #22
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageS...ip_Application

Here is a link for the membership application, but if I'm reading it right..it will cost you $75.00 per year.
Cheaper to join the Good Sam Club and they give you a red sticker and a magazine.......or if your a sucker like me and join for life you get a gold sticker and a magazine.

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #23
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
My Argy has numbers.

And it's not white!! Oh Nooes!!!11!

My good friend has an Argy painted blueish green. He's gotten a few comments as to why he would paint in such an unusual way.

The previous owner of mine had so many bad experiences he took it upon himself to ruffle the feathers as often as he could.

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote