Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you guys for all of the info. All of your info is very helpfull. I am fine with either an Airstream or an Argosy. I actually think after reading all of this I am leaning more to the Argosy, I think it gives a lot of features. Does anyone now of a good condition Argosy in the Arizona area (within a 4-5 hour drive for the right one) ??

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
The difficult thing is if the paint is not that good, it is extremely expensive to have it proffessional repainted. I have been getting quotes of $7-10k to have it done right. My paint was peeling all over and the PO had painted te caps a different coor white so it looked junky. I know that others have done it themselves and I was planning on trying it myself but after seeing the clean aluminum I decided to try polishing. For me it is scary going through all that work only to screw up the paint with a roller. I still may end up trying painting it myself. Either case to repaint you are going to need to remove large amounts of the painted areas anyway.

I know first hand that it is a pain to strip but I don't regret the project so far.
ONLY $7,000 to $10,000? It costs $2000 a foot to have an Airstream polished.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Smallfry - We, too have the 6.7metre Argosy Minuet and would never look back and regret our purchase. Never had anyone call it a "Fakestream", only heard comments like "Love your Argosy", or "Wow, I've never seen an AS with those nice big windows!" I think beyond the light and airy feel within our trailer, it is the ease of towing that makes it so great. We live in the mountains and towing can wear out a car really fast on those high passes (10,000ft +), so the Minuet has been a dream come true - and I think someone mentioned high gas We have had her over 5yrs now and so far, washing and a couple of wax jobs is all that has been required. We paid a reasonable amount for her, have done our repairs and/or remodeling as funds come available (still a fair amount of things we would like/need), don't necessarily fret about resale because the main enjoyment has come from being able to have her, enjoy her and see our boys grow up w/camping (those memories will be forever!!!!!)

I recently saw 3 Minuets on e-bay. They were not in Arizona. I will tell you that when we bought ours - my husband & young son drove all the way to eastern Canada (above NY) from Colorado to get her. They had a BLAST, and again wonderful memories. Just food for thought, if you see something

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I just looked on e-bay & 1 of the Minuets is in Utah. It was listed as 18ft, but is actually just the same as ours at 22ft. There were 31 bids, but they did not meet the reserve amount. It does not appear to be listed now, but may return or, I think I e-mailed them about the size difference & may still have it?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Smallfry. I love my Argy and I love my Airstream. If the argy were larger I would never have bought the Airstream. My Argy can be had by you. I will even consider towing it to you. I just want someone to love it. If you think you will love it please pm me.

Mods: if this violates any airforum policies, please delete this post and accept my apologies.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We have an Argosy 24 and love it. The thing that drew me to the Argosy was the front wrap around windows, and we found the perfect one with the double bed layout. Just right for us, and I kinda like the fact that we aren't just another shiny Airstream. I think all the Airstreams have their own individual personalties, anyway, and you will find the one that fits you whether it is an aluminum one or a painted one. And, oh yes, the label on the side of it just under the Argosy name says Airstream. It is just as much an Airstream as a Mustang and a Fairlane are both Fords.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, bambi