Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Argosy vin number location

I've not been able to find vin# tags on our 1977 Argosy Minuet 6 metre... Where have the rest of you found the numbers? There are tags next to the door, but I think they're just about California compliance stuff??? I did search the forums, but couldn't find anything that fit..

We just towed ours home for the first time, and will need to register it, so thought it might be useful.

Now I just need to rob a bank to start the interior overhaul! (just kidding.)

Thanks to all!
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Matthew&Gigi!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew&Gigi
I've not been able to find vin# tags on our 1977 Argosy Minuet 6 metre... Where have the rest of you found the numbers? There are tags next to the door, but I think they're just about California compliance stuff??? I did search the forums, but couldn't find anything that fit..

We just towed ours home for the first time, and will need to register it, so thought it might be useful.

Thanks to all!
The VIN plate on the Minuets (at least '78 and '79 so I am assuming '77 as well) should be on the front of the coach below the front windows. On my '78, the VIN in to the left and slightly above the water fill opening - - the plate also lists other information pertinent to your coach. If your coach has the hitch mounted spare tire, I suspect that the data plate may be partially obscured by the tire.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The "builder's plate" is located on the street front lower panel of the coach, just above and slightly to one side of the hitch. info on the tag should include VIN, Date of production, GVWR, and GAWR. It is attached with 4 rivets (of course) and should be silver in color.

Terry
Old 09-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Vin #

Quote:

Thanks to all!
You will also find the vin # stamper on the frame curb side just forward of the body.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
If you can, post some pictures of your new baby, please!! We Argosy (Minuet) people love to see new additions to the forums here.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

posting pics soon....

Thanks for the help -- seems odd I couldn't find it. I think the PO (sturzsongs) couldn'd either. If the badges are gone, at least it should still be on frame - thanks Gunny. (former jarhead here, albeit not many would guess that.)
I should be going out to look at/for the serial number tomorrow - 'robin' isn't stored where I live. Probably good, I'd get even less done! There's the cleaning, maybe a little sanding, get rid of that copper pipe... I started a little list of "little things to do on the argosy" and the list isn't so little! Doesn't really NEED anything but a paint job, but I think you all know how this all goes.

I'll post pics later today (can't seem to log into photo section so have to figure out why. thought it was the same!), so you can see why she's 'robin'... should I also post the pics of what we want her to look like? (I only ask 'cause it almost feels like cheating!)

Matthew
Old 09-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Post it all!!!!!! We LOVE to look at the pictures.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I'll post this, in case anyone else has this problem... Somehow all of the badges I'm actually looking for appear to no longer be there... the California thing might have had the number, but something akin to a weed-wacker has made it into heiroglyphics. The serial # WAS stamped on the frame, curb side. (20D7 S5193) Were all Argosy's made in the Sante Fe Springs plant (and where is that?)?

Another question - another number follows the serial number - 10193 A26 GG (or GO) anyone have any info on what this relates to?

I feel like I'm starting to know my Argosy a little bit!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Matthew & Gigi!

Quote:
I'll post this, in case anyone else has this problem... Somehow all of the badges I'm actually looking for appear to no longer be there... the California thing might have had the number, but something akin to a weed-wacker has made it into heiroglyphics. The serial # WAS stamped on the frame, curb side. (20D7 S5193) Were all Argosy's made in the Sante Fe Springs plant (and where is that?)?

Another question - another number follows the serial number - 10193 A26 GG (or GO) anyone have any info on what this relates to?

I feel like I'm starting to know my Argosy a little bit!
Argosy headquarters is usually cited as Versailles, Ohio (just down the road from Jackson Center) with Sante Fe Springs being a second manufacturing center. If my understanding is correct, Sante Fe Springs is a suburb of Los Angeles, and the plant according to my understanding is the same one where Airstream was located immediately following WW II; its address just changed with the times and the urban sprawl of the greater Los Angeles area. Based on the sales literature that I have it would appear that by 1979 all Argosy production had shifted to Versailles (based on lack of mention of the California plant in literature after 1978).

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Matthew -- Take a look at the 2nd page of Airstream's pre-1980 VIN explanation. My serial number is in the format 24T6V####. The first two digits are the length. I have a twin and the third digit designates that. The '6' stands for 1976 (And it seems like the country's Bicentennial was not that long ago... sigh.). The 'V' stands for Versailles, OH, where all Argosy trailers were made I believe -- not very far from Jackson Center [edit -- okay, pay attention to Overlander64's preceeding explanation. A very good resource for Minuet/Argosy info!!]. And the final 4 numbers are the post-1970 'Sequential Serial Number.'

Attached is a photo of my water fill door with the badge. The vertical seam is below the roadside corner of the rectangular front middle window; therefore the water fill door is just toward the centerline of the trailer from there. Do you have any rivets in that position? (Don't know if/how the Minuet varied from this.)

No photo but I did spy the stamped VIN on top of the curbside frame, between the trailer body and the rack for the LP cylinders. This section of frame measures 11 inches from the trailer body to the LP rack and the VIN is 3 inches in length right in the middle of this span. The embossed numbers are 3/8th's of an inch tall. There are no other numbers in this immediate area -- and I still have the original paint (until tomorrow!). There is info embossed on top of the hitch receiver -- MARVEL 2 5/16 and then a number; I believe that is particular to the manufacturer of that component.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Fill & ID Badge.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	8629  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hello Matthew -- Take a look at the 2nd page of Airstream's pre-1980 VIN explanation. My serial number is in the format 24T6V####. The first two digits are the length. I have a twin and the third digit designates that. The '6' stands for 1976 (And it seems like the country's Bicentennial was not that long ago... sigh.). The 'V' stands for Versailles, OH, where all Argosy trailers were made I believe -- not very far from Jackson Center [edit -- okay, pay attention to Overlander64's preceeding explanation. A very good resource for Minuet/Argosy info!!]. And the final 4 numbers are the post-1970 'Sequential Serial Number.'
Hi Canoestream -
That site is where I did compare my serial number (in my post above) with the info -- I didn't know of the Sante Fe Springs palnt before then. (now of course, I've gooogled it and spend oodles of time readingit..)

Quote:
Attached is a photo of my water fill door with the badge. The vertical seam is below the roadside corner of the rectangular front middle window; therefore the water fill door is just toward the centerline of the trailer from there. Do you have any rivets in that position? (Don't know if/how the Minuet varied from this.)
My fill door is on the front of the trailer, behind, and slighly streetside, of the LP tanks. There may have been a plate once, but a PO has given my Argosy a lovely hand painted paint job of robin's egg blue, thick, drippy, and now peeling. (I know, I know, stop making it sound so pretty...) SO, it just may not be found yet. Don't see any rivet holes, but, I do have the serial number from the frame. The second number of questionable intentions is stamped right after the serial number, and the same approx. size, still on the frame...

Quote:
No photo but I did spy the stamped VIN on top of the curbside frame, between the trailer body and the rack for the LP cylinders. This section of frame measures 11 inches from the trailer body to the LP rack and the VIN is 3 inches in length right in the middle of this span. The embossed numbers are 3/8th's of an inch tall. There are no other numbers in this immediate area -- and I still have the original paint (until tomorrow!). There is info embossed on top of the hitch receiver -- MARVEL 2 5/16 and then a number; I believe that is particular to the manufacturer of that component.
Thanks for you help, everyone.