Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Argosy value

I have a 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 in very good condition. Everything works and it looks great. Just wondering what it might be worth. I'm considering selling it.
shoebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hard to say.... In the Northwest, I've seen them for 2500.00 to 12000.00 with 4000.00 somewhere near a more common sale price. When we were looking last fall we were willing to pay up to 6,000 for a minuet in good repair with good axles. It didn't quite work out that way..... we bought a minuet and replaced axle, power inverter, water pump, toilet, counter, faucet, all water lines, carpet, upholstry and more. Be patient, you will find a buyer... Minuets are cool.

The real question is how long are you willing to wait?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Some members will debate this, but my personal experience with selling an Argosy was a disaster. They are great trailers but just do not draw the attention of the "purebred" silver bullets.
If you are serious about selling I'd suggest putting it on Ebay with a reasonable reserve.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebrush
I have a 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 in very good condition. Everything works and it looks great. Just wondering what it might be worth. I'm considering selling it.

We paid $3000 for ours(a '78 Minuet). It was a filthy, nasty mess and has a fair number of scratches on the paint and a couple small dents in the skin. It didnt have an awning, the holding tank valves were bad, tires were shot, brakes needed to be replaced. Lots of other things of a lesser nature as well.

We have fixed most of them and added an awning, new floor and other things. Our stove, refrig, furnace and WH are all original yet but all seem to work fine.

If i was to sell it, i wouldnt have a problem asking $4000 or more for it. To sell it, you need to advertise on the various Airstream sites as well. Those looking for these types of trailer visit such places often.

Good luck.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

shoebrush , welcome to the forums. You put 3k and probably invested more into it. Perhaps a good deal if you plan to use it, but not a lucrative investment.
I think maybe all the recent press given Airstreams has caused a new gold rush. There ain't no gold in buying old Airstreams unless you choose wisely.
I'm not saying you did not, just trying to let folks know that buying and selling vintage Airstreams is just as risky as any other biz.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy value

Greetings shoebrush!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
I purchased my '78 Minuet a little over two years ago. At that time, I had budgeted $4,000 for a purchase. After making several attempts, I ran across a unit needing upholstery, drapes, floor covering, water heater, Univolt, battery, LP tank valves (OPD) and recertification - - the price was substantially less than my budget, and with correcting the items listed above probably have approximately $6,000 in the coach.

The Minuet does have several distinctions that can have some impact on its value:

1.) It was designed as a light-weight coach that could be towed by smaller cars (Nova, Volare, Aspen, Granada, etc.) with its Gross Vehicle Weight of 3,250 lbs. (empty weight 2,450 lbs.).

2.) Most if not all 6.0 Metre Minuets have aluminum composite floors rather than plywood so there is no wood in the floors to rot - - the aluminum composite, however, can develop some sag and spring as it ages. The rivet lines in the aluminum composite floor also limit the floor covering options - - sheet vinly or vinly tiles are a near impossibility - - laminates or carpeting typically can be utilized.

3.) The coaches are 8" narrower than the standard coaches so they lend themselves to backroads travel.

If you haven't already discovered it, there is a price vs. condition guide for Airstreams that can also be used in assessing an Argosy - - at least in the Midwest, the value of Argosys tends to be about 20% lower than similar Airstreams. Check out the following page:

Vintage Airstream Price vs. Condition

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:34 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Having gotten to know this trailer a little bit better. I'm reluctant to part with it so the value may be a mute point. Maybe I'm getting as crazy as the rest of you.
Shoebrush
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We're really talking apples and oranges here. I don't think the value of my unit has anything to do with yours, but I sold a 1975 28' Argosy with rear bath approximately six months ago for $5500. Rear baths don't seem to be as valuable as center baths in that vintage though this one wasn't damaged in any way and had no rear end sag. My unit wasn't a Minuet which is probably a little more desirable than the larger units like the 28' on today's market. Our 28' had a new set of tires, and had the following systems replaced within the past 18 months prior to sale: Suburban forced air furnace, Coleman air conditioner, two water heaters ( a 6 gallon electric installed in the rear closet and a 6 gallon Atwood LP replacement unit), complete new plumbing except for the faucets, water pump and fresh water tank. ALL systems worked perfectly. The interior was both exceptionally clean and original. Outside paint was "good" though it really needed repainting to bring the outside up to the condiiton of the inside. The awning was the only thing needing replacement. Our unit was sold by word of mouth without any advertising to the first person who looked at it for the price we asked. Personally, I really thought it was probably worth another $1,000 above the selling price and we might have gotten it, had we asked. Hopefully, this will give you some idea of your Minuet's value.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, Shoe, I like your thought on keeping it. Fill it up with sheets, towels, food and some marshmallows and take it camping! These campers deserve to be doing what they were made for. Bet you will have a hard time parting with it then.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Shoe - We bought our 6.7 (22') Argosy Minuet 2 years ago for just over $4000. She was in pretty good shape, altho we have done some repair and replacement on her. Not much, but we have plans for the future. We just started enjoying her the moment we got her and have taken her on several out of state adventures. Anyway, about the same time (maybe 6mo. later), I saw a 6.0 Minuet sold for $7000. in great shape (mostly redone). I agree w/Kevin that the Minuet series are a bit more unusual than the regular Argosy series, so you might want to hang on to yours. They are so much better than the SOB and being light weight and narrow DOES increase your camping choices. Besides, we are such a friendly group!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Sounds like too much fun to get rid of her. Thanks for all the input. You won't be seeing her advertised anytime soon.
Shoebrush