Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2002, 09:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Argosy trailers

I have two Argosy owner's manuals: one for '76 & one for '78. Here
are the following models/sizes:

1976 20'
22' (rear door)
24'
26' - 28'(rear bath)
28' (center bath)

1978 Six Metre Minuet
24'
27' - 30' (rear bath)
30' (center bath)

Apparently, our '78 Minuet is the only model in these two years that
has an actual model name.

Hope this helps. I'll keep looking around to find more on Argosys.

Thanks for your time.

Michael Willeford
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

John,

I'm not sure what to make of this post. Is this information I provided to help Andy generate an Argosy trailer section to this list or a request for further info or...?

I check here every couple of days to see if the information I gave Andy last March has been put on the list, and I found this???

Michael
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Argosy trailers

I have reposted the info you gave me, apparently the original information that was posted cannot be retreived from cyberspace so we are starting over from scratch and Andy will add Argosy to the trailer forum, when that is done I will transfer this into the Argosy forum.

John
Old 08-12-2002, 08:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

John,

Thanks for the response. What a pain in the neck huh, (not me, the computer) : )

I appreciate your help with this!!!

Michael
Old 08-12-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Argosy

Not at all a problem, I have the same problem with computers, garbage in garbage out

John
Old 08-30-2002, 08:07 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to ARGOSY79
Michael,

I own a 1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0, and I've posted a few pictures of my trailer which shows the name "Argosy by Airstream" on each side of the trailer. I've recently had my rig painted and re-striped - the only thing left to do is to have the lettering done. I hope I can get it made as close to the orginal as possible.

I hope to see more Argosy's on this great site!

Jim
Old 08-30-2002, 12:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Jim,

Nice!

I really like your restoration job. When you get done repainting it, post some more photos. We would be interested in seeing how the exterior turns out as well. We bought our Minuet with the outside painted silver, but will eventually strip it down and repaint it close to the original color.

It's great to hear from other Minuet owners. There are still a few of us left!

Respectfully,

Michael
Old 09-02-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Talking New Argosy member

Hi! I just posted my 1st message earlier today in the chat forum to introduce us as the new owners of an Argosy 78. My husband is on his way to pick it up as I write this. We would be thrilled to have a forum just for Argosy trailers because we are new to this venture and looking for info. Looks like several people are on the same road to adventure! Anyway, I like having a place to find others who might be dealing with the same situations as we are, and look forward to checking this area often. Not sure it is set as a separate forum yet? Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Argosy trailers

I started this thread so at least you can post about Argosy's here but there is no seperate forum yet.

Update 9/4/02; An argosy forum was added unfortunately it is in the Limited forum I will post when it is corrected.

John
Old 09-03-2002, 08:39 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Pro Argosy Trailer Forum

Well, I'm brand new to the forum, but I for one would love to see an Argosy trailer forum. My neighbor (just told him about the site - he's going to join too) has a '78 Minuet and we work together on projects, but I am sure there are more Argosy trailer owners out there; and we could all benefit from knowledge/ experience sharing.

Maybe it's the "new car" syndrome, but I have now seen three Argosy trailers on the road in the three months I have owned mine and two more siting in yards of houses while on the road.

They're out there!
Argosy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
>>>Maybe it's the "new car" syndrome, but I have now seen three Argosy trailers on the road in the three months I have owned mine and two more siting in yards of houses while on the road.

When did you see them and on what road. We were in Il around the middle of July and we saw one on I-70 Tooted the horn and flashed the lights but got no response.

Mike
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Dear Co Argosy78,

Welcome to Airstreamforums.com. I'm happy to see you've joined the "BEST" Airstream/Argosy forum on the web. Personally, I don't see the need for a separate forum. We are all a part of the Airstream family. Argosy owners, in the past, have been excluded from the many benefits enjoyed by Airstream owners, including WBCCI membership. The last thing we want to do is separate ourselves now!

This site is extremely valuable to all of us, and it's fun!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding Argosys. I would be more than happy to answer your questions, or at least try. We LOVE our little Argosy, and are very proud to be a part of the Airstream family.

Respectfully,

Michael & Holly

P.S. I know this is a little sappy, but it's true.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:26 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

sightings

mKeith54

Sorry - wasn't me (I would wave) - haven't had her out yet (soon!). But I was out in Iowa and saw them on the road / in yards in western IL and Iowa (I-80/88) beg. of August. Didn't really keep track of where I was - just miles going bye.
Argosy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:40 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Argosy models

The following was copied from the VAC list.

Subject: Re: Argosy Models

The Argosy production run was in two groups. The more familiar round style was built from 1972 (as a 73 model) until 1979. Both a motorhome and travel trailer were built during this time under the Argosy name. There are some possible 80's models of the round style. The 1979 model year was the changeover year for the motorhome. That year Airstream built 3 versions, the last of the Argosy's, a painted Airstream and an Airstream "silver bullet".
The second run started as a 1986 model. It was the first of the square built
coaches. It was a metal skinned coach with a mustard and black color scheme. It was also built in 1987. In 1988 Airstream changed to a composite fiberglass wall construction, changed the color to gray and called it an "Airstream". Thus was born the infamous "Squarestream". The club at the time had a fit. After the 1989 model year Airstream changed the name to Landyacht and continued to build them into 1992. The 1988-89 time frame was also Airstream's first experiment with fifth wheels.

Charlie
Old 09-05-2002, 10:00 AM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Talking

Thanks to all for the big WELCOME! My husband called last night on the road (he now has the Argosy-got to think of a name) from Indiana. He picked up the Argosy outside of Vancouver. Says it is in immaculate condition. David (previous owner) had just put on new tires, packed bearings and cleaned it top to bottom. We cant wait to "christen" our trailer with a family outing - although probibly not till next Spring, with kids in school. Price (husband) is getting early start trying things out on road back. He is very happy with trailer's towing stability - was given the stabilizer(equilizer?swaybar?) but wasn't able to attach yet. Even so, he says the trailer is tracking really well behind our Tahoe, yea! I cant wait to see it, add personal touch items. Well, guess I'll know more later. Thanks again - I also think this is a great place to hang out and get to know others with like interests. Leigh
Old 09-05-2002, 10:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smile

I can remember the excitment driving from TN. to AZ. to pick up my trailer. The pictures I saw before purchasing it looked great but when I drove within eyesight of the trailer parked in an RV lot where systems were being checked, I got goose bumps. I know you can't wait to see your trailer when your husband arrives and I bet he can't wait to show you how everything works.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:08 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hmmmmm!!!!

This is interesting? We were at our local DMV trying to register our 78 Argosy. Almost done when clerk asked if the trailer had been weighed. Huh? Well, she could not find the weight on the title. My husband indicated the title came from Canada and showed her where it said "veh. wt - 01138. He indicated that would be in kilograms since the trailer came from Ontario province (french). This was a new one for the Colorado DMV!!! We almost had to leave without registration and have it weighed (which would be hard because it is being wintered in Buena Vista - 2 1/2 hr. from us), but we finally talked them into going to GOOGLE.com and using conversion tables! The interesting part is the tables converted the 01138 kg to 2508.8348 lbs. For some reason, I thought it would come out weighing more??? Anyway, if someone knows the dry. nothing much in it, weight of a 1978. 6.7 metre (thats 21.976ft). Argosy Minuet trailer. I would sure love to know. For that matter, I would love to see an owners manual. I really want to get to know more!!!!! Leigh
Old 10-11-2002, 07:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Trailers/1978 Minuet Weight

Greetings Leigh!

I just checked the owner's manual for my 1978 Argosy Minuet and learned the following:

Factory Empty weight without options: 2,450 pounds
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3,500 pounds
Total Allowable Weight for Personal Effects: 1,050 pounds
Gross Axle Weight Rating: 3,000 pounds
Factory Axle Weight (Without Options) 2,055 pounds
Total Allowable Additional Weight on Axle: 945 pounds
Tounge Weight (without options): 395 pounds

The owner's manual goes on to list the weight of all of the available factory options as well as how it is distributed between axle, and hitch weight. The manual is really very interesting reading if your trailer didn't come with one. It is much more complete than the owner's manual that came with my '64 Overlander - - I guess that is the difference between a first try and the 14th annual revision of the concept. I suspect that a copy of the manual can be purchased from Airstream in Jackson Center, OH - - I believe that Helen Davis is the person to contact there. You can find contact information for Helen Davis at:

http://www.airstream.org/faqs.html#manuals

I have only had my Minuet since August, so I am still getting to know its quirks. Luck was with me as I purchased it from the original owner so have most if not all of the literature that came with the trailer.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #19
Oak
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Appleton , Maine
'86 Argosy

About 2 weeks ago we bought an '86 Argosy 29' and are trying to learn what makes it tick. At this time I have a circuit board for the water heater ordered, and when that comes in I will have the wheel bearing inspected and repacked and also 5 new tires put on. I have posted on other parts of this site lately, but when I saw this thread I just had to jump in. I know zip about these so far, but I really enjoy the way everyone helps and seems interested in each others trailers. Does the '86 have a model name or is it just Argosy? This has a head in the center road side and the bedroom at the rear. Also, is there a water shut off for the toilet? I can't get water to run into the bowl (well, not from the trailer at least). I hate to be long winded, but I really enjoy this forum!!
Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:05 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Trailers

It seems that the Minuet is the only Argosy to bear a model name. I suspect, but cannot prove that this was a move to distinguish the Minuet series from the standard line. The Minuet was not only shorter, it was also on a narrower chasis - - or at least the floor width was less - - Minuet floor width of 7.0 feet and regular line was 7 feet 8 inches. While I have never encountered anything other than the 6 Meter Minuet, the 1979 factory sales literature lists in addition to the 6 Meter, a 22 foot Minuet with a single axle, and a 24 foot Minuet with tandem axles.

Good luck in your quest for information
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote