Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Argosy question

I have a question concerning my Argosy. I won this Argosy 22 ft. on Ebay last month. We drove a very long way to buy this Argosy. There are alot of good things about it but the seller neglected to be honest on everything. It looked great in the pictures. Please never trust pictures.I could tell the trailer needed some things done but what bothered me the worst when I got home was finding signs of a squirral because I kept finding acorns? etc...I would rather have that then mice. I wore a mask and gloves and cleaned for a good week top to bottom. There was not a whole lot but enough to bother me. I would never have purchased it if I new it had left over stuff in it. He even left some hidden traps in it. How strange is that. If I was selling something I would clean it up for the new owner. I left the man a negative and he said he had never heard of a rat proof trailer. Buy a trap. This man was not going to do anymore than he had too. All he wanted was the money fast and to go home. I wish I had walked away but I was tired from the drive and had already paid a deposit that I knew I would lose. This was a bad Ebay experience for me and he had all positives. I will never buy anything again unless I go and look at it first. My question is even though it is clean now and there was not alot could there be more hidden in the bellypan etc... I can't stand the thought. The Argosy has great potential but I can't stand the thought of anything else hidden in there. I wish I had just spent extra $$$$ and got one ready to go. Thanks.
Denise M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Denise -- Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I have had a '74 Argosy for 3 years that has taken some major work and I won't be camping in it this year (okay, I really haven't worked on it for a year either). Unless purchased in a restored condition, it is hard to imagine a 30+ year old trailer that wouldn't need a lot of major work. There may be the rare Airstream or Argosy stored inside all its life that is ready to go. I haven't seen one yet. Almost all other brands of RVs would have been a sad pile of sawdust and plastic behind somebody's shed by now.

There are disappointing discoveries in rescuing any Airstream. It can be a long road. After some assessment you can decide whether to unload this (potentially for a loss). But I can say 22' Argosy trailers in any condition are in some demand and somebody will undertake the job. Axles, new tires, replacing subfloor somewhere, replacing the Univolt, reinvigorating the plumbing, some welding, painting ... the list goes on and on. Some serious skills will be needed but it can be done in a long sequence of steps -- 2 years is a fair average. Rodents or chipmunks can make a heckuva mess -- it's a frequent topic here on the Forums. My father in law got some free butternuts once and we found the shells scattered throughout his garage and outbuildings for years afterward.

You've done well to bare your soul here. We could help guide you through some assessment to help you decide how you wish to proceed. Wishing you the best,
Bob
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Argosy

Thanks. I am unsure what I will do with the Argosy at this point. I have it at a RV dealer right now having all the systems checked, new air conditioner and other work that I have asked them to do. They told me they were pleased with it so far. All the appliances work etc... I was even offered 4000 for the Argosy the day I took it to them before they even really looked at it good. Upon getting it home I have someone lined up to redo all the cushions and to paint it and remove some dents. I will have thousands more in it when I am done. I guess for 3900 I should not have expected a new Argosy I hope I know what I'm doing putting all this money in it
Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm a little unsure of what you mean by "stuff". Are you worried that there are critters living in the Argosy still? I have a 78 Argosy that I wouldn't trade for a new Airstream. It had things wrong with it, but after 28 years it was still road worthy. I seriously doubt there is anything living in the belly pan. I doubt that any critters are still living in a trailer that is being worked on or used. Remember those little fellows are more afraid of us than we should be of them. Usually they leave if they can, but they can leave a smell behind. Clean it up good, buy some fabreeze and enjoy. Sounds like you got a good deal and perhaps the seller honestly didn't think there was anything to be overly concerned with in this old trailer. Read the forum and you will quickly see that many of us have bought trailers in far most desparate shape than what you are describing. One I believe had a cow living in it before he towed it home. Most had critters of some sort making the old trailer their home. You have a great piece of American craftmanship, get out and enjoy.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Argosy

Thanks juel I feel alot better than I did about it. You are probably right since it is not just sitting outside and never used the little critters hopefully have long gone. The man that owned it had some traps set and even a sticky type trap when I cleaned it but I never saw a sign of an actual critter except for the traps and leftover droppings and acorns that was only under the cabinets etc... not out in the open camper. The man may have thought nothing about this. He said he used it for only a hunting retreat once a year for the past several years. I don't think he was worried about it being pretty or clean inside. That is my goal to make the Argosy look as new as possible again. I really like to see people caring about these vintage airstreams and argosy's and taking the steps needed to care for them. Should I have the bellypan removed and cleaned out?? I would rather not. I was having someone just try and patch a few very tiny holes and one of the pieces seemes just a little loose. Thanks a bunch
Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Denise, I did not remove the belly pan on mine. My Argosy seems to have spent its whole life in New Mexico and El Paso, Texas. Very dry country. I had an Airstream repair man go over mine and he checked out all the systems, put on new shocks, new connector and did some brake work. He pronounced it safe and did not think there was any real reason to fool with the belly pan, so I was happy with that.I've had this trailer for about three years now and so far it has never let me down. Well....there was the air conditioner death in the middle of my second camping trip, but I got the new Carrier. I've done lots of upgrades that I wanted for comfort and convenience, but nothing the old boy made me do. I can't tell you what a joy this Argosy has been for me and how much I have loved camping in him by the lake. Also I won't tell you how much money I have spent on my new toy. My choice and I've never regreted a penny of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	36662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	36663  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Money Well Spent

Denise, All the money you spend on the Argosy will be better spent than on a (plain white box trailer). Don't seem to see too many of the older trailers from the 70's on the road these days (except for the Winnebago motorhomes) and of course our silver cousins, the Avions, Silver Streaks, Streamlines, etc. I have had a mouse to get into the tiniest of holes in my trailer over the winter. It seems at the beginning of each camping season, I find at least a few "droppings". Hopefully you are not too discouraged about the seller and the situation. I have found many sellers that "honestly" didn't think there was anything wrong with the item they were selling. There is a difference of opinion on this matter. I had a thread last fall on the perception of an Airstream trailer. I got my 6.7 metre Argosy Minuet from eBay and it was in better shape than I expected when I saw it (after) winning the bid.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Denise, a few years ago I purchased an Argosy trailer that eventually became the Airstream Life project trailer Vintage Thunder, and is now owned by another forums member. It was very, very dirty, grungy and smelly when I got it, but with a lot of elbow grease, and a lot of money, it is now a beautiful trailer that turns heads wherever it goes. It had been used to store horse tack, and old Christmas decorations, for years.
With any luck, the current owner will jump in here with photos and descriptions, but here is a before and after photo. Vintage Thunder is the trailer sitting outside the barn in the left photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000238a-med1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	36664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easton VT.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	36665  

Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Hi Denise! Welcome to the forums and Argosy ownership. I suppose owning a classic is like childbirth, you'll soon forget the pains and enjoy getting to know your new baby. My only concern with your belly pan is that the "critters" have rearranged or stolen your insulation so if you are doing any cool season camping you may want the insulation reinstalled. When I replaced some of my floor I found that the insulation was all balled up and soaking wet as well, but I haven't removed the entire belly pan yet.

Oh , and please post pictures

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Hi All,
Love the comments. I have been discouraged but am seeing some hope. I paid 3900 for this trailer not counting all the work the RV dealer is going to do. I have seen several Argosy's on ebay that go for up to 10,000 in very nice condition especially the Minuets. When I purchased this one I did not know there was a difference with the minuets or I might have waited and bought one of those. When we saw the Argosy for the first time in person it did not look near as good as the pictures but I thought I need to buy this trailer and fix it up or it is eventually going to fall apart. It was stored outside and very seldom used. The man who owned it had owned it for 7 years and said he only used it once a year when he went hunting. Does anyone know what might cause a very slight dip in the floor? There is a slight dip at the bathroom entrance, although it does feel very solid. The man had put new vinyl down recently he said he did not like the original shag carpet. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
3900 is fair for a small argosy is not so great shape. They are fairly rare and small trailers are highly desirable. Take your time and fix it up. You don't have to do it all at once and you should enjoy camping in it for years.

The dip in floor could be caused by leaks that have caused the wood to rot but in every argosy I've been in from this period, there is a springy place just in front of the toilet with an identical spot up front. There is no cross member here in the frame (no support underneath).

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
The dip in floor could be caused by leaks that have caused the wood to rot but in every argosy I've been in from this period, there is a springy place just in front of the toilet with an identical spot up front. There is no cross member here in the frame (no support underneath).
The spot with no cross member in the front is where the under floor water tank would go in an Airstream. The water tank is in the very front of an Argosy, on top of the floor. The spot in the rear is where the black tank would go in an Airstream, the black tank is above the floor in an Argosy, directly under the toilet.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
How do you check to see if the floor has rotted in a specific place. It has new vinyl. Would that need to be pulled up to check for rot? Can there be rot even when the floor feels very solid? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Sorry I meant to ask about the axles too. Someone told me you do not have to worry about the axles but I have read many things online that say have them checked. We have had it on the road around 13 hours since owning it and it pulled great. I read somewhere that the argosys axles 1974 and older wore out faster?? How do you visually check to see if there still good? Also just curious how much would it take to get an argosy to look as good as Vintage Thunder. Its gorgeous!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
How do you check to see if the floor has rotted in a specific place. It has new vinyl. Would that need to be pulled up to check for rot? Can there be rot even when the floor feels very solid? Thanks.
Easiest way to check for floor rot is by poking the suspect area with an ice pick. The method and results should be self-evident. If the floor has wall-to-wall vinyl, you would need to roll it up if possible to get to the wood underneath.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
Sorry I meant to ask about the axles too. Someone told me you do not have to worry about the axles but I have read many things online that say have them checked. We have had it on the road around 13 hours since owning it and it pulled great. I read somewhere that the argosys axles 1974 and older wore out faster?? How do you visually check to see if there still good? Also just curious how much would it take to get an argosy to look as good as Vintage Thunder. Its gorgeous!
The axles should be carefully looked at, Vintage Thunder had axles that were at the proper angle, indicating they were good, but it turned ouot many years of sitting had caused them to get stiff, and basically "sieze" in place. A test of this would be to crawl under the trailer, and have an overweight friend jump up and down in the middle of the trailer. If the axles flex quite a bit, and you wind up with a mashed nose, they are good. If nothing gives when they jump, you need new axles. Also, if you look at the axle, and the centerline of the hub is sitting above the center line of the axle, you need new axles.
As far as Vintage Thunder, it took me several weeks to get the trailer roasdworthy, and the Airstream Life crew worked on it for several months in their spare time to make it look like it does. If you want more pictures of it to drool over, and lust after, I can PM the current owner, he should have many pictures of it inside and out.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The spot with no cross member in the front is where the under floor water tank would go in an Airstream. The water tank is in the very front of an Argosy, on top of the floor. The spot in the rear is where the black tank would go in an Airstream, the black tank is above the floor in an Argosy, directly under the toilet.
I know but I have seen several argosys with no support in rear as well - bothe 22 and 24 footers.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Floor rot? Some personal experiences, though I did find more than this...
1. Unhook the battery and take it out. You will see an aluminum pan and a black plastic enclosure on the sides and top of the battery compartment. Is there good caulking between the pan and the black plastic? The need to vent the battery area does allow some rain and road spray into this area and breakdown of the old caulk will let water get to the floor.
2. Take as much of the gaucho apart so you can see all edges of the water tank. Your fill pipe or hosing to the pump could have a leak (mine didn't). I did have a window leak and it collected under the tank and rotted out the floor there.
3. Everybody has problems at the junction of the rear bumper/storage compartment and the shell. There will be some debris or pine needles stuck in there. The aluminum rubrail trim makes access difficult and I honestly don't think you should attempt caulking without temporarily removing the trim. This is just a project to keep in mind.
4. Your sewer vent pipes coming out the roof will need to be re-sealed. The plastic covers will be punky and rotten. I'll post a link soon -- I think john hd wrote up a nice project thread on this.

By the way -- don't use silicone caulk anywhere on an Airstream product. It will stick like the dickens in some places and leak in others. It just doesn't work on aluminum. Use Vulkem or Sikaflex 221 -- I prefer the latter because it skins over quickly and is easy to work with; put partially used tubes into a bread wrapper and store in your freezer. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/vulkem-25132.html.

Axles? Please take a digital pic of the Argo from the side and post a 600 x 800 pixel version here. Also, do you know if this trailer was taken on the road with any regularity?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I know but I have seen several argosys with no support in rear as well - bothe 22 and 24 footers.
Right, that's where the black tank would go, if it were an Airstream. Argosy trailers had the tank over the floor, thus, no underfloor black tank to take up the space, and a springy spot both front and rear.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sewer vent repair: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...nts-24437.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni