Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Argosy Project - under the floor black/grey tanks

Ok, because my plan is to put a queen size bed in the back lengthwise where the bathroom used to be, I'm considering mvoing the black tank to under the floor between the axles, as well I'm thinking of adding another tank for grey water in the next bay between the frame members. Question on capacity: these under-the-floor tanks seem mightly slim, but obviously they have acceptable capacity? I wonder if I need to have custom tanks fabricated?

My plan is to use my circular saw to cut the middle floor sheets in half, then to slip them out to remove them. Then I'll install custom brackets and drop in the tanks. Hmmm, at this point I'm wondering if I need a tank pans as well? Or does the underbelly sheeting protect the tanks enough? Then I'll put in the valves, Y-the outflow pipes to a common pipe between the wheels, and that'll be my new location for the sanitary dumping. Has anyone done this and have comments?

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Homewood , Alabama
I pulled down my rear section of belly pan last week and found where the grey tank was located. It had a protective metal (galvanized, I think)box covering it and straps holding it in b/t frame. Your plan to relocate everything sounds like alot of work, but could be worth it if you keep the add-ons light enough to prevent the dreaded rear-end sag and also balance the weight to keep it towing straight and smoothe. Good Luck!

1975 Argosy 28D (work in progress!)
RVnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Thanks for the tip on the grey water tank

Hi,

I've gotten everything out except for the plumbing. I haven't even looked in the back under the flip-up bumper lid since I purchased the Argy, but there are a lot of black pipes going to the back corner and under the floor.

My plan is to put a grey tank and a black tank between the axles. That should both relieve some of the load on the back, as well as distribute the weight lower (I don't think that matters as much).

My major "doh!" now is that the wheel well is (of course) right along the wall where I wanted to install a floor mounted toilet. I'll take some tape and mark out potential water closet/hall/bunk bed widths tomorrow in order to make it work (fingers are crossed!)

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Pics of an Argy 26 frame?

Anyone have pics of an Argy 26 frame? Especially between the axles?

Thanx!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
New idea for the tanks

Hi all,

My new idea for the Argy26 is to put a whole new tank system between the existing floor and a new elevated platform I'll make between the wheelwells for the queen bed. I've checked out some tank prices locally and for CAN$103 I can get a 9x17x48 poly tank.

So I'm going to buy three of them, one each for water, black and grey. Then line them up between the wheelwells, hook them up (gotta figure that out), and presto, above the axles, centered and all ready to go!

My question is: are three 26 gallon tanks a good idea, or should I get...a 45 gal water and 30 gal grey and 20 gal black?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
hmmm

Of the options, I like the last one (45,30,25). However....

How high will this platform be - and will you have to walk over it (is the bed going to be mid trailer, with a kitchen in back (I'm trying to figure out the layout after looking at your refrigerator thread)? How's the headroom going to be for walking through.

The current black tank sits up high because the toilet drains right into it. How will the grey tanks be filled... will your shower be on top of the tank? Are your kitchen and bathroom sinks have enough rise to drain adequately into the elevated grey tank? I think the sinks will work fine, I'm most interested in the shower configuration.

Also, that front tank helps keep some of the tongue weight towards the front. If the fridge and fresh water tank move rearwards, the balance of your trailer may be off.
Keep us posted!
Marc
Old 09-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
New layout

It's a little hard to tell from the sketch (toilet closet walls are not drawn in), but everything from the raised wheel wells is on a second floor at the top of the wheel wells (14" above the floor). The queen is on a higher platform yet with drawers underneath. The toilet sits on this second floor so that it is above the black tank (which is between the original and the second floor). There is no more shower, I'm putting a shower head on outside for rinse offs...plus a larger sink with a pull out spray faucet for hairwashing in the sink. The grey tank is also between the two floors, so it will be capturing the sink drain fine. Finally, the water supply is between the two floors too. All three tanks are basically between the wheels. Again, the hotwater tank moves to under the kitchen cabinet, the fridge is under the single window on the streetside (under the counter), the waterpump is in the cabinet too now. And a handpump operated faucet for drinking water has its intake tube in a carbiner (water bottle) under the sink.

The kitchen/galley is an L-shape and the "dining room" has a free standing table and four chairs (haven't figured how to secure that during the moves, but I should be able to move them outside on sunny days too, I'll be shopping at Ikea for ideas ). There's a bench on the streetside too.

The "back" sleeping area has a head height of 5'8" above the second floor, which is not too bad a crunch for us, plus it's mostly sleeping room anyways and will give it the feel of a (gulp) submarine (the two windows along the "hall" will help). This may all change, but for now, this "club house" rebuild will double as a boy's club hideout for poker night...at least that's the theme for this week. My buddy dubbed this version as the "Man mobile". I don't know if that will stick...

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Idea 14SE06.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	25956  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
wow....

I'm not sure I'd go with "man-mobile" (but it's ok with me if you do!)

I'd mock up the floor and cabinets now that you've got an empty shell - I'm thinking that the curved roof may pose a bit of an issue - but it's hard to tell without actually trying it.

Not needing a shower, then perhaps a bigger black, smaller grey would work fine.
Nice cad work!
Marc
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.... Is all the weight going to be on the streetside?? Where is anyone to wash their hands after using the toilet ? in the kitchen sink??
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Good point!

Hand washing is going to be at the kitchen sink...like in our current Boler. We've seen some toilets where the toilet tank is filled via a faucet that is mounted on the lid of the tank. Very cool. That way there's always water running after you flush the toilet and you can wash your hands (albeit cold water), and the toilet tank is filled with once used "grey" water. Of course, there no such tank in trailers.

Most of the weight is planned to be centered in the Argy. All three tanks will be in the middle, the only imbalance is the small fridge on one side and the cabinetry...hmm, you're right, cabinets are heavy...there's a lot more weight on the streetside! Let me think.

Thanks for the observation!

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My $0.02

Interesting arangement. Lots of kitchen cabinets, my wife would love it. She is also 5' 6" tall. I am 6' and hit my head on everything, I don't think I would like the height of the sleeping area. I also noticed the lack of storage (cloths, etc) except in the kitchen. Do you plan to have storage under the bed? I like my shower (as small as it is) inside. I am not sure about the toilet sitting in the open, brings back too many memories of basic trainning. Please keep the forum updated with the progress on this project...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Toilet closet walls

Thanks! The toilet closet walls just haven't been drawn in. I'll do that in the coming days as I start looking at the "storage" issue more closely. You've reminded me that I've dropped the coat closet along the way...I'll have to add that in again somewhere. Also, I'm now thinking of a combined shower/toilet room, just like in our Boler...it's like having a toilet in a shower stall, but we've never actually used it. We tend to stay where there are shower facilities.

About the sleeping area...I envision it as almost a sleeping den, rather than a bedroom...you know, crawl in and get to sleep, like a tent, nice and cosy, an alcove! Maybe after this one I'll redo another and actually put the tanks under the original floor between the frame members, but I'm not brave enough to do that this time around.

My wife loves to cook too. I'm hoping that this kitchen will be a winner! But back to that clothes closet issue...hmmmmm

Cheers and thanks for the comments!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Heavily weighted on one side

Has anyone noticed if their rig is too heavy on one side and it "lists"? Or does the suspension not have much "give" to it so it doesn't show?

I'm thinking that my concept is not symmetric around the center axis down the rig and may be heavier on the streetside (thanks for the tip, HapperCamper!).

I wonder if I need to address that issue, or is there a way of dealing with it after the construction? Are the Henschen's adjustable in that manner to accommodate uneven weight? I don't think so, but what do you think?

Cheers!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Chopper, Even weight distribution is important. The original designers are very carefull in the placement of weight both left to right and front to back. Tongue weight is important to stability as well as how much weight is behind the axles. That being said A difference of 50-100 lbs is one thing. A difference of 500lbs. is quite another. Henschens are not designed to compensate for the uneven loading side to side. When figuring max weight don't forget to calculate the holding tanks when full. Water is very heavy and will make a big difference in your weight distribution. I'm sure Airstream can provide you with such things as min. design tongue weight, front to rear weight distribution. and gross axle weight ratings. I'm sure the trailers are not perfectly balanced side to side from the factory, but what is acceptable I do not know.