Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member
1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Chopper, I've never had to source those olympic rivets myself,I'm sure they can be obtained from Airstream. As for the shaving tool I think they run a few hundred dollars for the tool. It is my understanding that these rivets are also used on aircraft and I wonder if you couldn't rent or borrow the tool from a local small airport mechanic. Just a thought. George.

Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member
1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Aircraft Supplies!

Great idea. We have a local city airport where they have a lot of private planes. I'll ask around there! Great tip!

Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member
1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Long Winter Over, now to survey the damage

Hi All,'s almost May and spring has finally arrived in Alberta, or shall I say that the snow has finally stopped (had a dump last week tho).

With all the snow, the winter storage shed collapsed around the Argy. The owner of the yard towed the Argy out so that they could clear away the shed (one of those metal quonsette deals, pretty big one too). Well, that was back in Jan. or so. With the roof vents and AC removed, as well as the gaping front sat outside (!) yikes and it's still there. The damage isn't too bad tho...however, it WAS blasted just before winter set in and now there's a patina of rust all round. Blast!

So my current strategy is to:

1. find a new home for the Argy,
2. get tow lights and get the Argy under cover again,
3. start bondo'ing all the punctures from this-and-that that POs had attached to the Argy,
4. deal with the rust,
5. clean up the interior, give it a goooood wipedown,
6. install the new interior, install the new vents & window, paint up the exterior, then
7. go camping!

How simple is that?...Though number 6 above may be the bottleneck! Ha ha. Ok, seriously, if I can't laugh then the project would SEEM overwhelming!

First things first, order some Olympic rivets and a head shaver. You'd think that in oil country, industrial goods like that would be everywhere...not! The search continues before I resort to mail order.

I'm just lucky that the shed didn't seem to collapse ONTO the Argy...just around it.

Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #46
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Positive attitude!

Chopper -

Seems that you have positive attitude in spades....! That will serve you, and the Argy well as you progress... But then you know that. Just a good reminder for us all, when projects at work or home seem to be too much....

Positive frame of mind, positive frame of reference, and positive attitude will win out in any endavour.

Keep those posts (with PICS!) coming and we'll keep cheering you on!

Step #7 isn't THAT far off...!!!!!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote