Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
hey mandolindave. the guy at the flooring store told me that pergo would'nt work because the floor moves when you tow it and bla bla bla untill I went with carpet... the floor in my trailer is metal with foam samwitched in between it a 77-20 footer also... with single axel... was he wrong..

Old 04-16-2004, 12:10 AM   #30
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair
hey mandolindave. the guy at the flooring store told me that pergo would'nt work because the floor moves when you tow it and bla bla bla untill I went with carpet... the floor in my trailer is metal with foam samwitched in between it a 77-20 footer also... with single axel... was he wrong..

you can do it. You just need to first put down some subfloor. In my case i put down 3/4" plywood and covered it with linoleum tiles. It works great and is very sturdy. I imagine you could put pergo over such a thing if you want.

I wouldnt worry too much about movement when the trailer is moving down the road as i would sag and such when walking upon it.

former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #31
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We also replaced carpet with carpet. The composite alum. floor is uneven and adding a subfloor to level would add a lot of weight. I would worry about movement on rough roads - we drove down several miles of washboard dirt road recently, and shook apart plumbing, cabinet doors came unlatched, burner covers flew off and a perfectly good bottle of merlot got shaken like cheap champagne in victory lane. I like the carpet - it's a closed loop berber and you can sweep it if needed. Hard sufaces are easier to clean but always feel gritty unless you are meticulous.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy owners unite !!

RE: Floating Laminate Flooring and Minuet 6.0 Metres w/Aluminum Composite Subfloors

I was very skeptical at first, but am quite satisfied with the Armstrong Alexandria Cherry Laminate Flooringthat Fowler Interiors installed in my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre. It was installed over an Armstrong Quiet Step Underlayment that hides and cushions the rivet heads beautifully. While laminate flooring wasn't my first choice of alternatives, carpeting was not possible due to my Chihuahua traveling companions; and the additional weight of adding wood underlayment was advised against by both the Fowlers and my Airstream dealer.

I have had one full season's use with the laminate installation and haven't found any particular problems. It has the same feel as laminates installed over the standard plywood subfloors in other Airstreams of similar Vintage, and it is so easy to clean and maintain. The overall increase in weight for my coach was just short of 100 pounds.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
looks realy nice hard to accept that this would work over my thirty year old spongy floor
Old 04-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #34
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Well, thats why i suggested my idea. My floors were spongy too. The entire hallway, excluding in front of the door sagged between the underfloor supports.

The way i figure it, i added maybe 300lbs at most to the trailer. I dont haul enough stuff in the trailer while driving down the road for that loss of carrying capacity to be an issue.

The floor is completely secured and doesnt move at all. Sure beats tearing the whole thing apart to get to the innards of the original floor or paying for a shop to do it.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #35

I'm a wanna be Argosy owner. I love the look of the old travel trailers but there is not much interest around my area. I really never thought I would have the oportunity to buy one. However, on my way to work this morning I saw a 1972 or 1973 Argosy 20 for sale. It looked in good condition but I don't know what it is worth. The "horse trader" that has it (along with tractors and used farm impliments) is asking $2000.

Is that a good deal? Too high? I have absolutely no clue.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #36
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhenk
I'm a wanna be Argosy owner. I love the look of the old travel trailers but there is not much interest around my area. I really never thought I would have the oportunity to buy one. However, on my way to work this morning I saw a 1972 or 1973 Argosy 20 for sale. It looked in good condition but I don't know what it is worth. The "horse trader" that has it (along with tractors and used farm impliments) is asking $2000.

First, you need to have it looked at. You can check the thread, "so you want to buy a trailer that's 3 states away?" in the forums for a volunteer inspector, if one is close to you. $2k for a creampuff is a great deal, but if it is a rolling disaster area, you should run, not walk, away. But you won't know 'till someone knowledgable in the quirks of these trailers has a chance to take a look.
Terry
Old 04-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Be sure and check condition of it

If you really want this trailer.. have someone check it especially the floor for rot.. check condition of underbelly .. taps , holding tank valves etc. We paid 3200 Canadian for our 1975 26' Argosy.. it had sat and not been used for 3-4 years.. we feel we got a good buy as we were able to check and fix most things ourselves.. On this forum there is a thread where people have volunteered to check out trailers for you .. if the trailer is in their area..depending on the condition you should be able to pick it up for 1500 -2000..Good Luck.. we love our Argosy.. have a 1976 Tradewind 25' and will be selling that.. Annie
Old 04-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Why ?

Annie 76 I think it would make fascinating reading if you would write a little report of why you wanted to swap a 76 Tradewind for a 75 Argosy.
Say the ten best reasons why... or some such.

Obviously none of our business but it might help someone somewhere someday. And it has got to be very interesting IMHO.

Thanks

jaco
Old 04-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
Annie 76 I think it would make fascinating reading if you would write a little report of why you wanted to swap a 76 Tradewind for a 75 Argosy.
Say the ten best reasons why... or some such.

Obviously none of our business but it might help someone somewhere someday. And it has got to be very interesting IMHO.

Thanks

jaco
I can think of one biggie: No polishing needed!
Terry
Old 04-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
For many reasons..

1. Love the wraparound windows.
2. Love the kitchen layout ..many more cupboards and the cabinetry on this trailer is in great shape..
3.Body work and paint job are no problem as my husband does autobody work.
4.The price was more than right.
5.We can make a little profit on the Tradewind.. it's skin is in excellent shape.
6.Everything that needs servicing is so much easier to get at in the Argosy.
Just really like this trailer.. if I could put this interior in the Tradewind and have the wraparound windows in the front.. I would have the perfect trailer.. Annie
Old 04-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Thumbs up Right on Terry

Only would another Argosy owner understand.. Annie
Old 04-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #42
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhenk

We paid 3k for ours and it was a filthy mess in fair/good condition. I would guess that if your willing to do the repair/cleaning work yourself or pay someone to do it, unless there is a major issue with it, it is probably worth that.

If it is the kind of trailer you really want it is most likely worth it to you.