Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2004, 04:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Right on Terry

Only would another Argosy owner understand.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #42
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhenk
I'm a wanna be Argosy owner. I love the look of the old travel trailers but there is not much interest around my area. I really never thought I would have the oportunity to buy one. However, on my way to work this morning I saw a 1972 or 1973 Argosy 20 for sale. It looked in good condition but I don't know what it is worth. The "horse trader" that has it (along with tractors and used farm impliments) is asking $2000.

Is that a good deal? Too high? I have absolutely no clue.

We paid 3k for ours and it was a filthy mess in fair/good condition. I would guess that if your willing to do the repair/cleaning work yourself or pay someone to do it, unless there is a major issue with it, it is probably worth that.

If it is the kind of trailer you really want it is most likely worth it to you.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Though not an Argosy owner, I am an admirer of them. Seen a few nice ones stay at the campground here in Florida. A really nice "Squarestream" styled Argosy was in here this week. It was a really nice clean unit. We have had several Argosy motorhomes pull in and one travel trailer. They are every bit as cool as an Airstream. Bring 'em back I say!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #44
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ihenk - the smaller ones are more desirable and fetch higher prices - I say go for it! Be aware that even a trailer in pretty good condition is full of 30 year old stuff - count on fixing and replacing many items over time. Be sure to read the axle forum to find out about worn out axles - you may have to rplace - but still worth the investment and hassle.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Just a note about a trailer that could be yours... Airstream has been in business for @ 60 years and 60% of thier trailers are still in use... ( and think how often you see one going down the road) Now... Argosy minuet was around @6 years what a thought... sorta like having a 65 mustang (gave it away)or 69 camaro .or maybe that 72 chev pickup I sold for fifteen hundred .. this is not cheap but sometimes what you want is more than what you need... life is short take your kid camping Dan....
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy owners unite !!

Greetings lhenk!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
I'm a wanna be Argosy owner. I love the look of the old travel trailers but there is not much interest around my area. I really never thought I would have the oportunity to buy one. However, on my way to work this morning I saw a 1972 or 1973 Argosy 20 for sale.
Since Airstream and Argosy trailers are often accidentally mis-identified through various quirks of time and history, it is valuable to be aware that there is a difference betwee the Argosy 20 (1973-1977) and the Minuet 6.0 Metre (1977-1979). The trailers are very similar down to virtually identical floorplans, and unless sitting side-by-side the differences aren't readily apparent. The biggest difference is that the Argosy 20 is a standard width coach - - (outside floor width 7' 8") - - while the Minuet 6.0 Metre is a narrow coach - - (outside floor width 7' 0"). When observing the interior, the Argosy 20 has a streetside arm on the sofa while the Minuet 6.0 Metre does not have an arm on the sofa. I haven't had the opportunity to see dinette model Argosy 20 and Minuet 6.0 Metres side-by-side to know what difference might be apparent to visual inspection. Another unique characteristic of the Minuet 6.0 Metre that it doesn't appear was shared by the Argosy 20 is the use of the aluminum composite flooring material in the Minuet.

My '78 Minuet was in good one-owner condition, but upholstery, drapes, carpet were all in need of replacement. The furnace, Dometic refrigerator, bathroom vent fan, roof vent fan, range/oven, and all electrical was serviceable. The coach needed a battery, and univolt replacement. After the my first two trips, the water heater failed requiring replacement as did the water pump. The coach did not have an air conditioner. I went into the purchase willing to pay up to $3,500 for a serviceable Minuet, and ended up with an initial purchase price just a few hundred less than the asking price on the coach that your are considering. You can see several before restoration photos of my coach at: Overlander64 Photo Album. I have owned my Minuet just short of two years and it has been a truly enjoyable yet pleasingly quirky coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #47

we have a 1979 Argosy 31', we really enjoy getting out, would like to meet other couples with a Argosy and trade stories, we are looking for a shop to paint our trailer, need help in locating one on the east coast, we are in NC near Hickory and just north of Charlotte, would like to hear from ya'll, we will be going to Oregon sometimes this summer, so ya'll call or as my wife says "you guys" call. (ssnapp11@cs.com)
Les@Catawba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #48
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Les, don't know about places to paint there, but you might want to read many of the posts here re: original paint brand,type and colors. I have heard of people going to their local auto paint shops to have it done. Do you have a reliable AS dealer close by? They might be able to recommend a shop. Or you could always try it yourself. Have seen posts by several who have. Just some thoughts.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy owners unite !! Reply to Thread

Greetings Les!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les@Catawba
we have a 1979 Argosy 31', we really enjoy getting out, would like to meet other couples with a Argosy and trade stories, . . . we will be going to Oregon sometimes this summer, so ya'll call or as my wife says "you guys" call. (ssnapp11@cs.com)
Depending upon your travel itinerary and route, you might want to consider one of several rallys that have been mentioned on this list:

June 11 - 13, 2004
Midwest Forums Rally, Moraine View State Park, LeRoy, IL (about 2hours North of I-70 just off of I-74)
Midwest Forums Rally, Moraine View State Park

July 11 - 17, 2004
Midwest Forums Mackinaw City Rally, Mackinaw Mill Creek campground, Mackinaw, MI
Midwest Forums Mackinaw City Rally, Mackinaw Mill Creek campground, Mackinaw, MI

July 30 - August 4, 2004
Vintage Airstream Club - 2004 Rocky Mountain Rally, Garden of the Gods Campground, Colorado Springs, CO
Vintage Airstream Club - 2004 Rocky Mountain Rally - Garden of the Gods Campground, Colorado, Springs, CO

The Forums Rally in Michigan is new this year, so it's hard to tell how many Argosy owners may attend. I have attended each of the other two Rallies in the past and will be again this year - - in both cases, I will be towing my Argosy Minuet - - I had plenty of Argosy owners for company at both Rallies. In fact, most of the Argosys at both the Midwest Forums Rally and the VAC Rocky Mountain Rally last year were either Minuets (6.0 Metre/6.7 Metre/7.3 Metre) or Argosy 20s - - there were only one or two of the regular line Argosys at either Rally last year.

Enjoy your travels with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote