Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Question Argosy Minuette 6.7 metre low rider

We have been reading through the forums for info. on axles. We currently have a "low rider" due to a sagging worn out axle. We have noticed several comments about 22' Minuettes. Our #22D8v1487 carries a manufactured on date of 10-1977 and the PO was a family member. So we do know its history and use. We have what we think is all of the original paperwork and manuals. We are currently removing the axle and investigating a local shop which says they have a replacement. Has anyone used a Torque Flex axle as a substitute for a Duratorque?
We are planning on towing with a Ford E350 extended Super Duty van.
We are located on the North Coast in OH.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you who have posted all this helpful material.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Torque Flex

The current factory axles on the 22' Internationals are Dexter.

So long as the axle rating is sufficient, the initial angle is correct, and the mounting flange fits, I can't see any why there would be preference between the manufacturers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

In Germany they install Alko axles with inertia brakes due to their regulations, maybe it can be done here.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I thought I had the only "Low Rider 6.7 Minuet",

Yes, mine had a bad axle as well. Your best bet would be to get the loaded Henschen axle from Inland RV, which will get you everything new and up the capacity to 4,000 lbs. Check out my pics and you can see how the Minuets are supposed to look, with a new axle. As far as getting a different brand axle, a lot of us have talked about it but the extra hassle is not worth it.

(Check out my custom curtain holders also, I had ordered new curtains for it but during the lead time to make them I got my Overlander and was able to switch my order)

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
BRICK , NJ
New Axles

I got the axles from Andy at Inland RV for my 76 Argosy 26 "lowrider". In the process Andy was able to up my GVWR by 10% and increase my brakes fro 10" to 12" for an enormous safety advantage at no additional cost. they were drop shipped to my installer with no problems. A real pleasant and happy experience and money (or plastic) well spent. - Guy
91Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
new Minuette axle

Thanks for all the help. After consulting my local RV dealer & highschool friend I decided to take off the old axle and haul it to a trailer service center that fabricates axles. Only 50 min. away from here, SE of Cleveland, OH. Took photos of his shop. They assured me that they frequently make torsion axles. Long story short, we came home with a new axle custom made to fit the Argosy. Cost was right around $360. Next comes the installation.Still some modifications to do. Installing shock mounts to the new torque arms and notching the bracket, as the axle tube is half an inch larger than the original.Bigger is better????
Old 07-12-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Welcome Loudruff - We too have the 6.7 Metre and of course we just love it!!! We haven't looked into replacing the axle on ours yet. It came from Canada and was actually lived in for quite awhile and not moved. But wonder if you would be able to document your work as you do it?? Many members on the forum do that and it is so wonderful to see as it progresses, not to mention how it helps others! Photos as you go would be so great. Hope that doesn't sound like a big burden - I just love to see photos of how everyone takes such pride in fixing up their newly acquired "baby". Enjoy!~ Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
new axle

Got the new axle home and in place. Spent yesterday welding and making minor adjustments. We are taking pictures as we go. Have never uploaded picts before so this will be an adventure as well.
If your Minuette sat for most of its life, do you have the sag? Wondering if the sag is due to over the road miles, or just a factor of time??
Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
New axle

The new axle tube is 1/2 in. larger than the old one. So the mounting bracket required opening up. A cutting torch was the tool of choice. But a power hack saw or a hand one could be used. As this axle has splines that attach the torsion arm they have just recently been fitted. The factory wanted $40. to remove the old shock mounts from the old torsion arms, and weld the new ones on. Since I have a welder at home I decided to do this one here. It only took about 30 min. We are currently waiting for the delivery of shock absorbers. We should have picked those up when we visited the factory. Hind sight is wonderful. They should arrive this week and bolt right up. Followed by the brake backing plates and new tires. Then it will be a low-rider no more. Pictures coming soon.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
get the motor runnin....

Hello Again! Sounds like you are going to be out on the road before you know it! Wonderful that you are documenting your progress. We haven't done alot of big projects on "Mini" yet, but have found that it is helpful to have the camera on hand. Fun to look at progress after and also can pinpoint where we may have made a wrong turn if something is not working quite right.
No, we have not detected the dreadful "sag" many have talked about here in the forum. There is an interesting thread called "saggy bottom" that went into possible reasons why. We happen to think it comes from carrying ALOT of weight in the rear while traveling (bumping and bouncing adding to strain).
Can't wait to see your pics. Hope the photo forum is back up and running soon as I have a few to add myself. Happy trails. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
loudruff,

Good to hear you are gonna be able to get it hooked up ok. Is there any chance we can get some pics? You may be the first documented case of using a replacement axle supplied from someone other than Henschen. The splined axle and torsion arm removal and attachments are making me curious. You are using your old spindles and torsion arms? That would be some serious work to cut the old torsion arms off an old axle a attach them to a new axle. Too much heat that would damage the new axle, I'm afraid. And how would you get the angle right?

The larger tube size makes sense to me, I also had to enlarge the frame brackets to get my new axle from Inland to fit. A higher cap. axle would have a larger tube size.

Chas
Old 07-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Movin' on

Chas,
Finally got the wheels back on! The axle came with new torsion arms that were slightly shorter than the originals. They have splines and clamp to the axle shaft. You are right on the welding. Once the slugs (spline shafts bonded to rubber blocks, made by Goodyear) are pressed inside the axle tube, you cannot heat the axle by welding on it. I have a picture of these and will post when we can. Perhaps it will make it clearer. The angle is set by using a protractor and selecting the proper spline alignment at approx. 35 degrees negative angle, (below horizontal). The old axle was at about 15 deg. positive! The difference in ride height looks like about 4-5 inc., I think. It sure makes a difference.
Any idea when the photo posting area will be up and running?
Larry and Lou
Old 07-25-2003, 05:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Thanks for the update, Larry and (Mary)Lou,

I understand much better now. I've never seen a torsion axle with a splined arm attachment before. How much did the axle cost you? I do almost all the work myself as well so the labor is not really an issue to me.

I'm not sure what's up with the photo site, I have a few pics of my now polished Overlander that I would like to get on someday.

Chas
Old 07-29-2003, 02:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Chas,
Sorry it took so long to reply. The new axle cost was $366.98.
This included cutting the piece of axle tube, welding the mounting brackets, pressing slugs inside and tack welding retainer in place. (end caps) They supplied the torsion arms. Measurements were taken from the old axle. There must be other folks around making these up because the press they used seemed to be a home made piece of equipment for the slugs. Slugs were made and supplied by Goodyear. Can't believe that they would make these for just this one manufacturer, so there must be others.
Larry and Lou ( not Mary Lou )
Old 08-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
low rider

Chas and all:
We are going to try to attach pictures of what we referred to earlier as the slugs that were inserted in to our new axil along with the torsion arms that attach to the splines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-001f.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2603  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Post Old & New Axle

This is the old axle next to the new axle. Yellow part is the new axle the old axle is next to it and rusty brown
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-004f.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2604  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
This shows a detail of the torsion arm and shock mount. The shock mount was removed and welded to the new spindle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-009f.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2605  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
New axle in place. Wheel well is cleaned up and painted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-011f.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2607  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Backing plate and drum attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-013f.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2608  
Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
New ride height 13" clearance under axle. Note wheel well to tire clearance height. Finally ready to test by taking a trip to Chicago this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-014f.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2609