Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What material did Argosy use in the floors of your Minuet?
6.0 Metre Minuet - - Aluminum Composite 17 73.91%
6.0 Metre Minuet - - Plywood 0 0%
6.0 Metre Minuet - - Unknown 0 0%
6.7 Metre Minuet - - Aluminum Composite 4 17.39%
6.7 Metre Minuet - - Plywood 1 4.35%
6.7 Metre Minuet - - Unknown 0 0%
7.3 Metre Minuet - - Aluminum Composite 0 0%
7.3 Metre Minuet - - Plywood 1 4.35%
7.3 Metre Minuet - - Unknown 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings All!

My curiosity is about to get the better of me in regard to the use of Aluminum Composite Floors in the Minuet series. Minuet owners, as well as previous owners of Minuets, would you please advise what you know about the floors in your coaches? I know that mine is among those that came equipped with the Composite Aluminum Flooring, and when the interior was refurbished the aluminum was covered with Armstrong Quiet Step Underlayment and Armstrong Laminate flooring - - so far, after a year the new floor coverings are proving to be an excellent addition.

Thanks

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Our minuet has aluminum flooring. But ... we're not sure it's actually a minuet. The original sales reciept says minuet but the The serial number eflects the "20" designation and the word minuet doesn't appear anywhere on the Trailer. Maybe it was a transition year...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

The aluminum flooring was used to reduce weight ,it consisted of 4' sections of aluminum panels with styra-foam in the middle. It had quite a bit more give than plywood flooring.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I'm replacing my black tank so I've had a good look at the floor in back of my 1979 Minuet 7.3 meter. My black tank rests on top of my floor. I had to remove the sink, toilet and shroud to get to my black tank.

My floor is definitely plywood.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Kevin - I don't want to commit to a vote on our Minuet yet, but I'm pretty sure she has the wood composite. Have never seen anything but wood under the gauchos and there is a place right in front of the door that is going to need fixing cause it has rotted out and has a hole in it. A call to AS factory might yield some info. Do you have the 800#? Wish you and your Argosy had been able to stop and say hello when you were here in Colo. Oh. well, maybe next time.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
What if you don't own it anymore?? My Minuet has gone to someone here locally who I think reads the forum but doesn't really participate.

Anyhow,

Mine was a 78 6.7 metre and it had the plywood floor, actually right around a 1/2" thick so they were definitely thinner than the typical Airstream floor which is approximately 3/4".

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Chas!

Quote:
What if you don't own it anymore??
Please do cast your vote. My main reason for posting the poll is curiosity, the actual statistical side isn't the main concern. I have been considering a request to write an article about the Minuet series and Argosys in general, and am in the intial phase of gathering facts to help organize an outline.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Janet!

Quote:
But ... we're not sure it's actually a minuet. The original sales reciept says minuet but the The serial number eflects the "20" designation and the word minuet doesn't appear anywhere on the Trailer. Maybe it was a transition year...
Based on my research thus far, there is one major distinction between the Argosy 20 and Minuet and that is floor width. The Argosy 20 has an outside floor width of 7' 8" while the Minuet has an outside floor width of 7' 0". Another indicator of the difference, at least in coaches with the front lounge configuration, the Argosy 20 has an upholstered arm on the streetside of the sofa and the Minuet does not.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
A call to AS factory might yield some info. Do you have the 800#?
You are one step ahead of me. It is on my "To-Do" list as I get further into this research project. I have also been asking my Airstream a number of questions about Argosys each time I have one of my coaches there for service.

Quote:
Wish you and your Argosy had been able to stop and say hello when you were here in Colo. Oh. well, maybe next time.
I am planning on attending the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally again this year. It looks like I am going to have a little more free time following the Rally this year so will likely do a little touring around Colorado before returning to Illinois. Will almost certainly spend a few days in the Denver area as my uncle and his family live in Arvada.

I don't know whether I'll be towing with the Cadillac or the Suburban. It just may be the Cadillac as I have always wanted to drive to Pikes Peak in a convertible with the top down - - have made the trip with my '80 Toyota Corolla, '83 GMC Conversion Van, and '85 Oldsmobile Delta 88 - - just not in a convertible - - yet.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Kevin

Thanks for the info I'll measure it tonight when I get home.

One of the strange things like Janet said is the serial number.
A20M7SXXXX
A = Argosy
20 = 20'
M = ? not in the books that I can find.
7 = 1977
S= So. Califonia built.

I believe this is true, just wonder about the M = Mid-Bunk?
It is set up with a forward table which converts to a bed, also a couch in middle on the street side wich converts to a bed.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Gary!

I haven't run across any reference to an "M" in a serial number for Minuets, but your theory certainly makes sense. While I haven't been able to get confirmation from any literature or sources, I suspect that the Minuet must have been a mid-year introduction for '77 as the '77 factory literature that I have only lists trailers from '22 to '28. Possibly, there exists somewhere, a '77 introductory brochure for the Minuet. By '78, the Minuet 6.0 Metre was featured on page 3 of the Argosy sales brochure - - no mention of the 6.7 or 7.3 Metre Minuets - - all three are illustrated in the '79 Argosy sales brochure. The floor plan that you describe was one that would have been available in the Minuet as can be seen in the following information on the '79 Minuet:

or the slightly different '78 Minet 6.0 Metre:

Argosy may have been the experimental division for Airstream, but it seems like the Minuets must have been a "hot-bed-of-activity" during the '77-'79 time frame. Although it does make a great deal of sense when viewed in light of the energy-crisis of that period - - I know that many of the Brand X manufacturers were producing "special-light-weight" models as I purchased one new in 1980 - - a Nomad special light weight 18 (I doubt very much that it has survived as it was falling apart when I traded it off in 1983).

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Kevin

The 20' floor plan looks like it is the right one with the exception of the stove layout.
We have a 4 burner stove/oven [Magic Chef]. I think this may have been a option, or maybe that's what was laying around at the time.
I will measure the width and set all doubt to rest, as to the Minuet or not.
The aluminum floor has not shown to have any problems, we have the original 3/8" rubber pad and have added an industrial grade of Burbur carpet over that.
When we purchased it, the original orange shag was still there. It was stock up until we changed the carpet out.
A while back there was a thread on it. Became known as the over priced Boise Minuet.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by Janet's Husband
S= So. California built.
I remember reading somewhere that all the Argosy 's were built in a plant in Versailles, Iowa. This is the same plant that produced the classic motorhome if I am remembering it right. I don't think there were Argosy's built in Cali.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
????

Geeze Thanks Brett

Just when you think your safe. Now I'm really confused but what's new?
The "S" was for SoCal. in the S/N code, but now I think you have an interesting point.
Anyone have the difinitive word on if they were only built in
Versailles, Iowa? Could this be a weirdo built in SoCal?
The mystery continues, stay tuned for as the Argosy turns.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Brett!

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that all the Argosy 's were built in a plant in Versailles, Iowa.
I had always associated only the Versailles plant with Argosy production, but there is reason to speculate that something might have happend in the 1977/78 time frame. (??Could it be that the Minuet, and possibly more specifically the 6.0 Metre, was more popular than Airstream/Argosy anticipated resulting in a change during the time in question?? - - or possibly only during intial production of units with the aluminum composite floor??) In reviewing the 1973, and 1975-79 Argosy literature that I have in my possession, the following address is quoted in all but the 1978 and 1979 literature:

Argosy Manufacturing
60 Vista Drive
Versailles, Ohio 45380

In 1978, the above address is mentioned as well as:

Argosy Manufacturing
15939 Piuma Avenue
Cerritos, California 90701

In 1979, the only address mentioned is:

Argosy by Airstream
107 Church Street
Jackson Center, Ohio 45354

Another interesting observation in reviewing the factory Argosy sales literature, prior to 1979 the literature makes clear that the owner can obtain service from Argosy dealers nationwide. In the 1979 literature, the owner is urged to obtain authorized service from any Airstream or Argosy dealer.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Very interesting info and pictures, Kevin.

Thanks for your diligence.

Since I became interested in the Argosy Minuet 7.3 meter last summer I have noticed three or four other units either here on this forum or for sale. The interesting thing is they were all 1979 vintage. Was this the only year for the 7.3?

You seem to have a lot of info on Minuets please let us know whenever you get some of your research published and where.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet Floors

Greetings Scott!

Quote:
Since I became interested in the Argosy Minuet 7.3 meter last summer I have noticed three or four other units either here on this forum or for sale. The interesting thing is they were all 1979 vintage. Was this the only year for the 7.3?
So far as the sales literature that I have found is concerned, the only year that the 6.7 and 7.3 Metre Minuets were advertised was 1979. The 6.0 Meter was the only Minuet mentioned in the '78 brochure, and there is no mention of the Minuet series in the '77 brochure. The more inquiries made regarding the Minuet, the more questions there are to consider.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 02-01-2004, 02:18 AM   #18
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Ours is aluminum composite.

The previous own put down a layer of plywood and covered that with carpet to keep his feet warm. Needless to say it doesnt work all that well. It is a pain to keep clean, the storage at floor level doors wont open all the way and frankly it is shot and squishy in spots. I am kinda afraid that there will be floor issues when i take it out this spring.

We are planning on removing that stuff and then laying down a thin corkboard layer and then covering that with those small linoleum squares. Hopefully that will make cleanup easier and look good.

still procrastinating on the drain valve repairs...
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #19
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
New Floor in trailer project status:

Complete.

As of this past weekend the Mineut has a new floor. It was a rather painless undertaking.

I initially attempted to use 1/4" plywood. Not a chance. Way too much sag. There was a lot of sag in the floor from about the refrig all the way back to the lavatory. The sag was only between the supports.

Went and got some 3/4" plywood and that seemed to take care of it. I removed the fold down couch, and dinette then cut the pieces to fit(actually, the father-in-law did). So that i would have a better field to lay the tile, we just raised the couch and dinette up 7/8" to rest on the new floor instead of trying to fit around them. The floor doesnt extend any farther under the dinette and couch than the support legs though.

I also took the opportunity to remove the water tank and clean around it and the battery, converter and water pump with the stuff out of the way. Ugg, what a mess can build up in the nooks and crannys after nearly 30 years.

Once the plywood was secured to the floor on went the tile adhesive and 1'x1' vinyl tiles. Thus far the tiles have stayed bonded to the plywood and 3 coats of floor polish have been applied.

While i was doing this, the wife made new curtains.

Those two things have gone a long way in improving the looks and condition of the trailer.

On to the next project which is repairing or replacing the holding tank valves and getting the brakes re-shoed.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Thanks for the floor info. Our minuet does not have floor sag yet but it is good to know that the fix is somewhat painless.