Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet 22' and 24' (1979?)

I am curious as to whether anyone has run across a 22 foot or 24 foot Argosy Minuet. They would be distinguished from the regular line 22 foot and 24 foot models by having a floor width of 7 feet. In researching my 1978 Minuet 6 Meter, I found factory literature listing three Minuet models in 1979 - - the fmailiar 6 Meter, a single axle 22 foot Minuet, and a tandem axle 24 foot Minuet. I have been watching numerous forums and for sale advertisements and have never run across anything other than the 6 Meter Minuet. Was it possible that the additional models of the Minuet were cancelled after the literature was published?
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
78 minuet 6.7

Hello Overlander64

As I said in my post re: our registration to get our license, we would love to see an owners manual because we were sold,ad our title from Canada show that we have a 1978 Argosy Minuet. Painted on the side (original paint) are the numbers "6.7 metre", which according to the conversion tables computes out to 21.976 feet. We. at first, tought ours wasa 20 foot until we did the conversion. We had an e-mail not long ago from a guy wanting to know the footage of our trailer because he said he had a 22' Argosy Minuet and had never seen another. Was interesting to get that so we e-mailed back stating ours too was a 22' or acually 21.976. It says Minuet on both sides toward the back. The only thing that confuses me now is that ours (and his) is a 78 and your owners manual says the 22' were made in 79. Inquiring minds would like to know!!!!! Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuets and Sizes

Greetings Leigh!

I just checked my 1978 Argosy owner's manual that covers all models including the Minuet. The only model identified as a Minuet is the 6 Metre. There isn't even a 22 foot model listed. The next larger trailer listed after the 6 Metre Minuet is the 24 foot model and it has the regular 7 foot 8 inch floor width according to specifications.

I am wondering whether yours might be an early 1979 model with a production date in 1978. I know that in some of the states model years for motor vehicles is ignored in deference to production date - - so vehicles are titled with the year of production not necessarily the model year. The serial number on my Minuet begins as follows: 20D8V and is followed by a 4 digit production sequence. My assumption based upon early Airstream tradition is that the 20 refers to the length, the D refers to double bed configuration or double lounge as mine is equipped. The 8 refers to the model year 1978, so far the V is a mystery.

I don't know whether this will answer any questions or whether it may raise more questions.
AIR #827
Old 10-13-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
???

Overlander67

Interesting!! Our Vin is 22D8V So, 22', Dbl bed, 78? I really am hooked on getting more info. I too wondered if ours could be 79 when I saw your post on the owner manual, but wouldn't this VIN say no??!! Leigh
Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Oooopps!

Sorry that should read Overlander64 Leigh
Old 10-13-2002, 09:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

This is a curious situation as the VIN seems to confirm that your 22' Minuet is a 1978 model. This wouldn't be the first time Airstream built a model that doesn't appear in some of the model year literature. My Minuet is an early model year unit so it is just possible that the 22 foot and the 24 foot Minuets may have been introduced as Spring models and would have been listed in literature for the mid-year changes. I have posed this question in the Vintage Airstream Club list just to see if anyone might have more information on these rigs. I had begun to wonder whether there were actually any of the 22' or 24' Minuets built - - at least it is now certain that some were built in the 22 foot length.
AIR #827
Old 10-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Overlander64

V is for Versailles, OH where it was built

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Minuet!

I guess I am the "Texas Minuet" The model # is 22CT My vin number is 22D8V1704. I am not exactly sure but I believe the build date was like May of 78. When I ordered a new axle from Andy @ Inland RV it took him a while to research my axle specs as there wasn't a lot of info on my unit. It did have the "6.7 metres" label on the front sides before I painted the trailer. It is a single axle unit. I swore I would never have another single axle unit due to the instability but this baby tows like a dream though I do tow it with a F-250 Xcab Powerstroke.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:44 AM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
info galore

I,for one, will be waiting to hear if you get more info from the Vintage Airstream Club about this. I am wondering if the # at the end of the VIN has to do with the # of units built in a given year? In other words whatever # is on a person's VIN, say 1705, that person's trailer would the the 1,705th of that model, or maybe all AS models, in production that year?

Chas

Glad to see you joined us in this discussion since you are the other phantom 22' 1978 Minuet. Does yours say Minuet on the sides also? Do you have your owner manual? As I said, I would love to see pics of yours (I am tying to get my Hub to add pics to the forum of ours. We have noticed some problems getting the picture forum to work).

So many questions, so little time!! Leigh
Old 10-14-2002, 09:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Chas and Leigh!

This is getting more interesting. The full VIN on my Minuet is 20D8V1666. It was special ordered from Murphy Travel Trailers of Ohio, Inc., and was delivered on May 11, 1978. If my understanding of production sequence numbering is correct, my rig came down the production line about 38 units ahead of Chas' unit. I suspect that my unit's date of production was sometime in early to mid February, but won't be able to check the data plate and until I pick it up next week as it is having its systems prepared for a trip to next year's International Rally in Vermont.

I am getting curious as to whether Airstream/Argosy issued a completely revised owner's manual, or if they simply issued a supplement for those features specific to the 22' and 24' Minuets. We now know of at least two 22' and that leaves the question was a 24' Minuet ever produced? The copyright on my owner's manual is 1978, but the cover date is 1978 which is what I would expect with an early Spring delivered trailer.

I too had reservations about a single axle trailer after a disasterous experience with a 1980 18' Nomad single axle trailer. It was a relief when I learned what a pleasure it is to tow my Minuet. My tow vehicle is overkill, however, a K2500 Suburban with 7400 Vortec. I am getting axious to try out my vintage 1975 Cadillac Eldorado with the Minuet.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-14-2002, 09:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

I noticed your comment that you are having problems posting pictures to the photos server. I too thought that I was having problems, but learned to my chagrin that I simply not being patient enough. It seems, at least with my ISP, the upload goes smoothly enough, but it isn't possible to access the uploaded photos for a period of two or three hours - - I can't explain it, but it is what happened with each of the photos that I uploaded. They are all of my '64 Overlander and its restoration. When I get my Minuet back from the repair facility next week, I hope to post a few before pictures of it as it is currently nearly 100% factory original.

If you ar getting the message that the upload was successful, but your photo doesn't come up on the preview screen and the status message says "loading pictures" - - your machine is responding just like mine. I just hit the stop button on my browser and continue with the next upload until I had all of my photos uploaded. I checked back three hours later and the photos loaded up immediately when I checked my photo album.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-14-2002, 09:53 AM   #12
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
what a hoot!!

Kevin

The last # in our VIN is 1751, soooo ours came right after Mr. Chas???!! So would that make production sometime early to mid Spring of 78? I have e-mailed the previous owners to see if they might have any of the paperwork on our trailer. Our title search shows the 1st date of purchase to be March of 1980. Wonder where it sat for a year+? I will also be interested to see your before/after pics. You say it will be restored to just like original. Where are they getting all the parts/pieces? I thought many items for AS were no longer available???

Thanks for the info on the pic forum. Part of it is just getting my HUB to sit down long enough to do the button pushing. Maybe I will give it a whirl, although so far I have not successfully managed to even get a URL onto a forum (boohoo). Leigh
Old 10-14-2002, 10:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet 22' and 14' (1979?)

Greetings Leigh!

It seems that our trailers may have shared space while awaiting delivery - - with such close sequence of production numbers, they could have been in the same storage location.

The restoration job with my Argosy will be far less problematic than with my '64 Overlander. I have had to compromise, at least temporarily, on a few issues where NOS parts have not been readily available. I basically found everything needed for it other than the reading lights for the front lounge and center bedroom. With the Argosy all of the original equipment is in such good condition that little will have to be done other than cleaning - - the upholstery and drapes will need to be redone, but that is relatively simple and I have found the ideal fabrics and know the professional who will be handling this aspect of the refurbishing later this Fall or during the Winter. Other than a new water heater, new power converter, and a new air conditioner (had the air conditioner prep package but one had never been installed) all of the appliances and fixtures are original. I was actually shocked when the furnace passed inspection and the refrigerator element just needed a thorough cleaning as well as a new thermostat and electric heating element.

The one thing that I do understand can be a problem to find is the off-white laminate tambour used in the cabinetry of my Minuet. I have only seen this available once or twice and then in very limited quantity. I only have two doors that are going to need attention.

I will be picking up my Minuet next weekend when I drop off my Overlander for winterization and a new set of permanently mounted stabilizing jacks.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-14-2002, 01:57 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
more ????

OK. where is the data plate located on the trailer? We do not have ours close by right now, but would like to find out. Also, just to make sure I am clear on this. The Argosy is aluminum bodied like all AS, right?? So, what made them choose to paint them? And do people strip the paint? Not that we want to, we like the cream color, but just wondered as Chas said he painted his silver and I saw on photos that MWilliford's is also painted silver. Also, ours has been somewhat haphazardly waxed and polished, but looks very uneven and we would like at some point to try to redo. What recommendation do you guys have for type of polish (or is there something different that we are not aware of) and how tos on getting the job done right?!

Chas
I loved the reference to the Argosy as a "Love Child " that you posted on another forum. We are not going all out, but being from that ancient era ourselved "retired love children", we are keeping the decor of our Argosy closely tied. If you all know of any interesting 70s stuff (we are going to have some tiedye pillows) let me know. Like I said, we are keeping it down, but not out. Leigh
Old 10-14-2002, 02:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Argosy stuff

Hi all - interesting stuff, the "mystery Argosy's" Leigh, I couldn't tell if you found a owners manual yet - you can order a Argosy manual (not an Airstream one) from "Secretorial Services" listed on the Airstream web site (under FAQ's). Just mention it is a Argosy manual, not Airstream with your VIN. I got a nice copy of mine from them - with a picture of an old 70's series pntiac sedan pulling my 26 ft.

Regarding the pictures - Leigh - I'm not sure what computer you are using, but I had a heck of my time using my Mac to load pictures. I scaled down the pic sizes, tried different formats, hit my head against the monitor -without luck! It wasn't until I switched from Internet Explorer to Netscape that I was able to upload SOME of the pictures. Keep trying!
P.S. - The handle will be in the mail Tuesday - I forgot that Columbus day was a mail holiday.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Minuet 22' and 24" (1979?)

Greetings Leigh!

While most of the Argosy is Aluminum, the front and rear domes are galvanized steel stampings. I have heard rumors of some Argosys having all aluminum exteriors, but those that I have seen have the galvanized steel stampings on the domes.

My understanding is that the same products used to care for automotive finishes can be used with the Argosy finish. I am planning on a compounding job on mine first thing in the Spring to even out the paint sheen as much as possible followed by a high quality wax - - probably two coats. I usually use DuPont products from my nearby automotive specialty retailer. My plan is to have my unit repainted in 2004 using the original colonial white and coppertone paint treatment - - I believe the Ditzler codes for these paints have been posted on the VAC list several times so should be in the archives at Tom Patterson's site.

There are several data plates on mine. There is a DOT data plate on the front panel immediately behind the propane tanks at the front. There are also two data plates on the rear bumper compartment cover - - regarding environmental and electrical issues. There is also a data plate on the "A" frame hitch that has production data if my memory serves.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-16-2002, 09:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Texas Minuet

My data plate is riveted on the lower front of the unit and it has the "Minuet" tag @ the center band on both sides. I did spray it silver with a charcoal lower but may paint it back the original cream color or an off-white, I have not used it much in the summer but I am concerned about it getting too hot. This is Texas after all and the surface gets pretty hot to the touch. The metallic was also tricky to paint as I did shoot it myself in the driveway so it does have a few flaws. I need to get hooked up with the necessary stuff to get some pics posted. I found my Minuet at a consignment lot which also sold new SOB trailers. I had my wife with me at the time and could tell that the sales guy was using the derelict row where my Argosy was sitting as the good ole "bait and switch" routine, it was working on her but I knew what I wanted. I had those "square trailers" before. Believe me I did seriousy think about my choice about 3 months ago in the midst of a seemingly endless restore. I want to keep the original decor as much as possible but my wife is being a little difficult on the subject, the orangey and brown upholstery is excellant though I did have to replace the orange laminate as the old countertop was broken by the cooktop. More later?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

24foot "Minuet 7.3"

Could it be the trailer I just purchased --my first-- is one of the mystery models which overlander64 and others have been asking about?

*what I've got here is an Argosy Minuet 7.3 as indicated in large original letters on the cream-colored trailer;

*the private individual I got it from advertised it as 24 feet long, but I haven't actually measured it yet, nor come to think of it would I know HOW to measure it (from bumper to propane tanks?? from rear window to front window?)

***Please tell me how I might get a copy of the original owners manual for this or similar airstreams. I'm starting from scratch in figuring out how to do the most basic things. Like how to start the heater; hey it's getting cold here on the banks of the Merrimack!!

*have any copies of airstream manuals been posted on the web? did Airstream deliver manuals when these wonderful contraptions were purchased originally?

-Carl
minuet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:21 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Minuet (I have 1980org owners man.)

Hey!!

I don't know if I can be much help but I to just bought my first A/S it's a Caravelle from 1980. I have the orginal owners man. and it says that it also show for Minuet, international Agrosy, and Excella II. I can check somethings for you if you would like. I'm not sure how different your 79 is from the 80 model. Let me know what you need and I can possibly scann some of the pages for you.

Cara
Old 11-06-2002, 02:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Carl!

One sure way to verify the size of your Minuet (at least according to Airstream/Argosy) is to check the serial number. If it is a 24', it should look something like this:

24D9V####

The first two digits represent the length, the next the bed configuration - - yours might be a "T" for a twin rather than a "D" for double. The "9" represents the last digit of the model year, and the "V" represents the Versailles, OH production plant. The last four digits represent the sequential production number.

You may be among the first list members with a 24' Minuet - - possibly the only list member possessing one. Another good indicator of its status as a 24' is the presence of tandem axles - - according to my factory literature the tandem axles were standard on the 24' Minuet.

Technically, Airstream/Argosy as well as all travel trailers are measured from the tip of the ball socket to the trailing edge of the rear bumper. Determining rounding methods used by Airstream on the other hand isn't as consistent. My '64 Overlander measures 26' 8" and is classed as a 26' trailer. My '78 Minute 6.0 Metre measures 19' 3" and is classed a 20' trailer - - there is some pattern regarding even and odd trailer lengths for advertising purposes, but I can't remember precisely what that was.

There are several methods for locating owner's and service manuals. Copies of these manuals can be ordered from Secretarial Services at:

You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365 (937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.

The information above was obtained from the Vintage Airstream Club web site.

E-Bay is often a good source for the actual original manuals, but be prepared for prices about double that of the photo copies from secretarial services.

The original owner of your trailer would have been supplied with a copy of the Owner's Manual as well as an envelope containing the various manuals for installed accessories such as the range, refrigerator, furnace, water heater (if not included in the OM), air conditioner, awnings, etc. There also would have been a number of papers with warranty and related information. I purchased my Minuet from the original owner, who had it special ordered, so have most all of the original information with the exception of the purchase invoice and special order information.

One suggestion that I might make is that if you don't know how long it has been since the LP appliances were used, you might want to have an RV propane appliance service technician inspect them and check the system. When I took my '78 Minuet in after purchase, the propane tanks that I had planned to use with the trailer (this plan was the result of not wanting to convert the Minuet's existing tanks to OPD since my 4 year old tanks had OPDs already) had been sitting unused in my carport for almost 2 years - - in that time the propane had become contaminated and the service technician told me that I could have seriously damaged my propane appliances had I connected those propane tanks - - the aggravating thing to that situation was that purging the tanks and evacuating the contaminants cost nearly as much as similar steel replacement tanks. The heat exchanger on these furnaces can also be a problem point due to age if not use - - the usual caveat with an unfamiliar trailer is to have the furnace checked out before trying to put it into service.

Kevin
AIR #827