Old 12-07-2002, 05:32 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet 22' and 24' (1979?)

Greetings Carl!

The Zip Dee awning in an open position is not capable of supporting any significant snow load - - in fact, it is recommended to lower one arm significantly to allow rain water to quickly drain from the surface. If you are referring to any danger from snow to the Zip Dee while it is closed and protected by its cover, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. My '64 Overlander has a Zip Dee and it is stored outside without any problems - - a Zip Dee for my Minuet is on my "wish list".

Your furnace problem sounds like it might have something to do with either the thermocouple or sail switch. I am not mechanically inclined, especially when gas appliances are involved but do know that either of these two devices can cause that problem.

I am anxious to get a look at the photos of your rig. The photos site will be my next stop.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 05:38 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Photos of 24' Minuet

Greetings Carl!

You really do have a gem. In all of my travels I have yet to see another rig similar to yours. I am almost wondering if you have the only one - - so far, the only Minuets that I have encountered at any of the last five International Rallys have all been 6.0 Metre. You have something that will really spark some conversations at Vintage gatherings.

There is now ample confirmation that Argosy produced at least some of all three varieties of the Minuet - - 20', 22', and 24'.

Kevin

AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 12-08-2002, 07:57 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
additional argosy input

I am really enjoying this thread. I have recently obtained a '73 Argosy 20. The vin is; 20D3V1047. I will not claim it as a minuet, but I believe it to pre-marketing naming of their units.
Kevin, thanks for the info about original colors. I plan to paint mine this winter. I was having to chip away about 3 coats of old paint, which is not too accurate. I am still a little confused about a substitute paint. Are the numbers you listed Dupont paints that I can order? Is there a type paint that is compatable with both alluminum and steel? I assume it is acrylic paint you are talking about.
Thanks to all about this information.

Brian
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
RE: Argosy Paint Codes in Earlier Post

Greetings Brian!

Yes, the paint codes supplied were for Dupont paints in the Centari line of products. The information that I had was that the codes pertained to all Argosys through 1977. This information was posted to the Vintage Airstream List by Charlie Burke several years ago.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-09-2002, 01:47 PM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up Family Album Complete?

Seasons Greetings Everybody

Carl The addition of your trailer's pictures is just a great addition to our wonderful and growing list of all makes and models of the Argosy line. I, for one am getting psyched to see what will become of each of these wonderful trailers as we go about our upgrades and restoration. Can we also see inside pictures? I want to see the layout as compared to our 22'. PS - "Aarrgg" - I like it!!!!
So nice to have the input from so many owners with many talents to share. The Argosy area sure has grown since we got ours in September, wow!!!!

Brian I also welcome you to the Forum. I, too enjoy reading/communicating with everybody to gather brainfood related to fix up without screwup! I was really hungry for info on the Argosy line when we got ours and the history and background I was able to find here really helped in feeling comfortable trying to do "right" by our "Mini". The layout of this website is just amazing.

Kevin or anyone who knows - I think I have read in other threads that the Zip Dee awning is the best. Is it the easiest to manipulate, best materials, stronger? We have a chance at purchasing the hardware for an awning, with the fabric to come later. I have not heard from the owner what brand his is yet, but would like to have an idea about which is best before we close the deal.
Have you gotten your trailer back from the upgrades inside yet?

Later... Leigh
Old 12-09-2002, 04:03 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Awnings

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
I think I have read in other threads that the Zip Dee awning is the best. Is it the easiest to manipulate, best materials, stronger? We have a chance at purchasing the hardware for an awning, with the fabric to come later. I have not heard from the owner what brand his is yet, but would like to have an idea about which is best before we close the deal.
There are actually two related issues at work here. The Zip Dee is the only awning out there that fully supports Airstream applications today. There were a number of different suppliers that manufactured awnings with the curved side arms necessary for Airstreams through the 1970s and into the 1980s. Most of these other manufacturers now service only the roller tube and not the curved side arms - - two examples would include A & E (Now part of Dometic), and Carefree of Colorado.

While I don't have an awning on my Minuet yet, I do have one on my Overlander. The Overlander originally was equipped with an A & E awning in 1964 that was replaced along the line with a newer A & E Travel Awn 5,000 - - the roller tube was worn out by the time my restoration started and the side arms were in less than ideal condition - - one had been damaged and repaired resulting in rather difficult operation, and the other had some "racking" damage caused by wind. Given the lack of support from A & E for the awning arms, I chose to abandon the A & E and go with Zip Dee. I am thrilled with my Zip Dee awnings (I added awnings to the bathroom window and the streetside bedroom windows), the hardware is more pleasing to the eye, and operation is much easier than the older model - - it also seems that the awning fabric itself is going to be easier to care for than the laminated vinyl that was on my A & E awning.

If the hardware that you are looking at is of the proper curvature for your Minuet and is complete, there isn't really any particular deficiency in the older awnings produced by A & E or Carefree - - just be prepared that replacements for the curved side arms aren't readily available as they would be for Zip Dee.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-10-2002, 12:59 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin for your comments and answers on my Minuet and for the information more generally on awnings. A 'wealth of information' you are, and moreover generous & cheerful sharing it! You mention "Vintage" gatherings, what do have in mind?? (sounds fun!)

Leigh: first, how to make our names go different colors in the font? That works nicely! Second, I'd be glad to take some inside photos of the Minuet7.3 but am not sure how soon I can do it. For one thing, as soon as the temp. gets above freezing I've got to clean off my awning and get it rolled up, before one of those precious curve/angled struts gets damaged by snow, sleet, rain, ice --all of which !! are predicted for tomorrow night here north of Boston. Got to take good care of <Arrggh> before I spend time with the camera.

Anyone: is there a trailor tradition or etiquet or whatever concerning giving a name to a trailor or motor home etc. Do some folks paint the name on the bow or stern, so to speak, as boat owners often do? I'm in no hurry to alter what is looking more and more like an old Argosy whose owners have left in pretty much original condition!

Also anyone/everyone: if I were to name her [him? boats are usually feminine I believe] "Arrggh!", how should it be spelt? My ten year old boy has been reading Garfield books recently, and I asked for a little research on this, but even within a single collection of Garfield comic strips "arggh" is spelled in various ways. Is there some mechanism for taking a pole in the complications of this web site's functions? I think in one case Garfield says "arrrrrrrgggghh" or something like that which may be expressive and, in context, the correct spelling but doesn't strike me right off as a good way to spell it if it's to be used as a name; d'accord?

-Carl

P.S. I'm bad at spelling English words generally [did I spell 'tandam/tandem' wrong in a previous post?]; I try to take sollace for this embarrasing weakness by telling myself that my relation to my beloved Mother Tongue is purely auditory (which indeed it is) and that in English you are dead if you try to spell words the way you pronounce them (which is true) and that before Sam Johnson came along in 1750 or whenever and decided to write the first English dictionary and treat words as if they could actually have both "right" and "wrong" spellings (which he did, and which, before he did, they didn't, see Shakespeare's texts for instance in their original published versions where even the same word may be spelled in more than one way within a single play or set of poems). I'm trying to learn to live with my spelling disability [should that have two ss'es? or two ll's?] by not worrying whether I spell words wrong, since this worry tends to slow me down and cramp me up so much that I don't get to expressing what's in my heart & mind to express, and that's no good, right? :-)
Old 12-10-2002, 01:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the forums minuet24!
Quote:
...is there a trailor tradition or etiquet or whatever concerning giving a name to a trailor or motor home etc.
As far as naming trailers...anything goes! Here's a fun thread
Trailer Names that discusses some of the names selected by forum members.

Enjoy!

Shari
Old 12-10-2002, 01:52 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Thankyou Shari for your welcome and for the URL on trailor names! Wow, a five rivet member; super! What is this Karma thing? Karma is a bad thing? or a good thing? Whichever it is, you seem to have a whole lot of it, and either way, I'll try to remain on your good side.

:-) -Carl
Old 12-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Carl ~

Here's a couple of threads where the "Karma Thing" is explained.

Karma...

Great ways to earn extra Karma...

Karma??

As far as having a lot of rivets, what can I say...I guess I'm pretty chatty...oh well!

Shari

P.S. It looks like you got the color change feature figured out...atta-boy!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:22 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Vintage Airstream Activities

Greetings Carl!

Quote:
You mention "Vintage" gatherings, what do have in mind?? (sounds fun!)
The Vintage gatherings that I referr to are those sponsored either by the Vintage Airstream Club or units of the WBCCI. You can count on at least one Vintage activity each year through the VAC, and that is the Wagon Wheels preceding International - - traditionally it is a 10-12 day caravan ending with the VAC parade into the International Rally - - last year, there was a break with the tradition and we had a Wagon Wheel pre-Rally in the Black Hills of SD. There are any number of regional and local gatherings that involve Vintage activities - - some examples have been Wisconsin State Rallys and the Region 4 Rally - - others have included annual Rallys in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and in California as well - - and of course, there is the Annual Cherry Blossom Rally that is held in the vicinity of Washington, DC. All of these activities are publicized in either the Blue Beret (monthly publication of the WBCCI), Vintage Advantage (quarterly publication of the Vintage Airstream Club), or on either of the two following websites:

Wally Byam Caravan Club International

or

Vintage Airstream Club (Intra-Club of Wally Byam Caravan Club International)

There are also a number of activities for the broader range of Vintage RVs offered through the Tin Can Tourists . This organization is devoted to collecting, preserving, and using vintage RVs of all manufacturers - - I believe they consider Travel Trailers over 25 years of age and Motorhomes over 20 years of age Vintage, but since I am not a member I cannot be absolutely certain. Their web address is:

Tin Can Tourists

There has also been quite a bit of talk here on the forum about AirstreamForums Rallys as well.

I have enjoyed every Rally and Carvan in which I have participated. Each has had its own unique qualities, and there is always something new to learn or do.

P.S. - - I hope all went well getting your awning retracted before the bad weather set in.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-11-2002, 11:24 AM   #40
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Wink Fun to Share

Howdy Everybody

OK Brian, I will attempt to give you reliable info on how to add color to your wording within threads. I am not one of the best on manipulating all the available resources within this wonderful site (Shari, I know you to be a Sweetie and Wizardess on computer functions, so if I mess up, please help!!!) Anyway, here goes...

When you post a reply there is an area above the typing box where you will see several buttons. One is labled "color". The pull down arrow will give you choices of color. After choosing color a box called "Explorer User Prompt will appear in upper left corner. Type whatever words you wish in specified color, press OK..
If you wish to change colors, repeat process by going to "color" button and starting with new color..
I am still learning to play with all the available goodies.

As far as pics go, take your time. It took me several months to get brave and knowledgeable enough to post them!!

I don't think there is any etiquette on names for trailers. Ours is Mini Driv'r". We are thinking of a vanity license plate for her (which is available here in Colorado). I like the way you spelled "Arrggh" on you picture. Not too long, sounds good!! (We have an 11 yr old who also likes Garfield, and Calvin and Hobbs).

Kevin Thanks for the awning info. We have not heard back yet from seller about manufacturer on his awning we are thinking about. May run into shipping problem also. Sounds like the Zip Dee might be the best to keep camping problems to a minimum.

I so enjoy the company here.... Leigh
Old 12-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Wow!!!

I go away for a couple of months and all the Minuet owners come out of the woodwork. I have to say I'm thrilled reading all this communication about Argosy's. I thought I was just about the only Minuet owner here.

Keep up the wonderful conversation. Please!

I'll be subscribing to this thread as soon as I submit this. I'll also be looking for all of your photos. I hope there's lots!!!

Michael
Old 12-12-2002, 10:14 AM   #42
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Smile Welcome Back!!

Hi Michael - There was a thread started a couple days ago titled "Where have the past members gone" or something like that. I thought about you and your welcome when we first logged on and excitedly wrote about our new "Mini". So much has gone on here, as you have probibly noticed!! All good stuff
I hope you will stick around and add to the wonderful communication. Also wondered if you ever saw my PM. We had quite a good thread about rock guards, maybe you responded to it also. You would have some interest and answers maybe, since your Argosy has those "cool sunglasses".

Anyway, glad to see you have returned. Leigh