Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Morro Bay , California
Argosy Manual

I have been an owner of a 1974 Argosy for three days now and I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. I have ordered my 30 dollar manual and am awaiting its arrival eagerly. Does the manual have part numbers to order by? How do I run the ID number? The surface of the trailer is dull and rough I had planed to pressure wash it and possibly use a Scotch bright pad to clean the oxidization off. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
dlb56hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Another Argosy

If you pressure wash it, I would think you will certainly find out where it leaks. I have a '74 Argosy 26'. I have become very familiar with all aspects of the rig.
If the paint is just oxidized; I would try using a good cleaner that you would use on a car or truck, then use a good quality polishing compound designed for oxidized paint. Then wax it, once it is clean.
If there is anything I can help you with. Plumbing, electrical, mechanical etc. I'll be glad to help.
Maybe you could post some pics.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Morro Bay , California
74 Argosy

Thank you for responding. I have ordered the Manual for my Argosy. Would you know if it will have part numbers that will help in locating parts? I have a broken hinge on the door and would like to replace the hinges ASAP. Are replacement parts readily available for the 1974 Argosy? I will limit my questions so as not to wear out my welcome. Thank you.

Dan
dlb56hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb56hdt View Post
Thank you for responding. I have ordered the Manual for my Argosy. Would you know if it will have part numbers that will help in locating parts? I have a broken hinge on the door and would like to replace the hinges ASAP. Are replacement parts readily available for the 1974 Argosy? I will limit my questions so as not to wear out my welcome. Thank you.

Dan
Your Argosy owner's manual won't have any part numbers listed. There are illustrations of some assemblies, but it is not a technical repair manual. The manual's purpose was to help new owners understand how the various systems operated.

So far as I have been able to determine, there wasn't a specific Service Manual for Argosy coaches, but the similar year Airstream Service Manual would be a good substitute as both coaches are structurally similar with primary differences in levels of standard equipment and the painted or natural Aluminum.

A good number of parts are still available for our Argosys through Airstream. Airstream dealers or service centers can order parts for you; and there are several sources for reproduction parts including, among others; Vintage Trailer Service, and Inland RV.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Morro Bay , California
Thank you.