Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Argosy Lettering Paint Color?

I have a 76 Argosy 28' with center bath and rear beds, have been doing a ton of work to it lately. I have tried searching the forums but haven't been able to find the color of paint used on the ARGOSY lettering/, It looks like it was some color of orange, but I don't think it was the same color as the belt line. Anyone know where I can get paint that is a close match?

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Do you have pics of the work you have done?
I just bought a 28ft center bath with double bed in rear. Not got it home yet but the picture I do have of the front looks like the lettering is red. I am sure if you do a search you will eventually find the colour code. I thought I would use enamel paint from a hobby shop for mine when I eventually do it.
Cheers

Bex
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good morning... The color is definitely a red... on the orange side of red.. that is what we used when we painted the lettering for our 1979 30' Argosy named Costalotta... it seems to me we found the color we were looking for at an auto parts place..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
An auto parts store may be the place to go. I remember rebuilding several chevy 350's. After the acid dip we would use a GM color engine paint that looked red but leaned toward orange in the spectrum.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel "Chevrolet Orange" DE1620. Got it at the local auto parts store. It is maybe a little less red than the original but still looks good.

After cleaning with a solvent and Scotch Brite, I primed the entire nameplate.

Let primer dry completely.

A little light sanding and then painted entire nameplate orange. Let dry completely.

Next I covered the entire nameplate with wide masking tape and using a straight edge razor and X-acto knife, removed the tape to expose the sides of each letter. This is the part that is painted black. Again. after light sanding, paint this exposed area black.

Let dry completely.

Carefully remove the tape so that it does not pull the paint with it.

Now, using progressively finer sandpaper, starting with 320 grit and working down to 600, block sand the face of the nameplate to expose and polish the aluminum to a smooth bright surface.

Next, after curing for several days, I applied a clearcoat over the entire nameplate. I did this maybe four years ago and they still look good.

Roger

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Thank everyone, will try out the Dupli-Color, anything will be better then how it looks now.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Centerville , Indiana
When we restored our '78 Argosy, I used Rust-oleum "Paprika". We are in Centerville, IN and in the process of restoring a '72 Argosy now and it doesn't have orange on the lettering just the dark brown.

Jo Ann
hookshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
As there aren't too many owners that have the blue trim, not sure if anyone can verify, but on our Argosy lettering, parts of the blue have chipped away and it looks like orange underneath.
Probably had too many already painted orange badges from previous years, and just painted them blue (or green) for 79 (and prior) when those trim colors were offered...
lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote