Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #1

Talking Argosy Info

I am not a current owner, but hope to be soon and I need info. I have been told that the "round argosy" was built from 1972-1980. Are these the model years? In other words, is there a round 1980 argosy? Also, what is the smallest argosy model? I have heard about an allusive 18' model. Does it exist? If so, when was it made?

If anyone has any information I simply must know about these trailers (good or bad), I would appreciate the help.

I noticed a round argosy beside an old garage alongside the highway the other day. I don't know the model, size, or if it is even for sale. But, it looks like it is in need of some TLC. I thought I might check it out, and want to be semi-knowledgable.

Thanks,
Alabama Shopper
jgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Info

Greetings Jgriffith!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Also, what is the smallest argosy model? I have heard about an allusive 18' model. Does it exist? If so, when was it made?
The smallest regular production model for the Argosy was the Minuet 6.0 Metre produced from 1977 through 1979 - - it is normally titled/sold as a 20', but is actually 19' 3". Not only is it a short trailer it is also 8" narrower than the standard trailer line.

Quote:
I have been told that the "round argosy" was built from 1972-1980.
The starting year is correct (would most likely have been titled as 1973s). I am less certain about when the "round argosys" were discountinued - - my impression was later than 1980, but can't find that information in my notes.

I own both a '64 Airstream Overlander International, and a '78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre. Each coach has its own unique character - - in great part due to the difference in ages; but both are quality units that are still quite comfortable. The only real quirk that I have encountered with my Minuet has been its composite aluminum floor - - the rivets prevent utilizing sheet vinyl or tile products for the floor covering - - the options boiled down to either carpeting or laminate floor coverings.

Purchasing an Argosy doesn't entail any inspection techniques drastically different from those for an Airstream. Since the coaches are painted, exterior dents and blemishes will be much easier to remedy; but a quality repaint can approach the cost of polishing a similar-sized Airstream when professionally done. Just be aware that the side windows on Minuets may be acrylic rather than glass (thought to have been an experiment in weight savings); the "wing windows" are tempered glass as are the front and rear windows (at least in my 6.0 Metre); and on the 6.0 Metre Minuet the floor will likely be an aluminum composite rather than wood. Other than the experimental features, most appliances and engineering basics were shared with the Airstream line - - there was typically a slightly lower level of standard equipment - - such as the air conditioner prep-package was an option on my Minuet according to documentation with my coach.

Minuets were available in three sizes - - 6.0 Metre (19' 3" Titled as 20') - - 6.7 Metre (22') - - 7.4 Metre (24'). The 20' and 22' Minuets are single axle coaches while the 24' is a tandem axle coach. Outside of the 1977-1979 time frame, there were standard coaches of similar lengths that would be of standard width rather than the narrower Minuet width. I believe that the longest of the "round" Argosys was the 30' model, but it is possible that it might have been a 32'

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The Argosy trailers and motorhomes and the early A/S motorhomes were built in my hometown of Versailles, Ohio. Versailles is actually a town much like Jackson Center, where the Airstreams are built, and is located about a half-hour southwest of Jackson Center. The Argosy plant still exists on the edge of town; following the termination of the original Argosy line, the plant was bought by Midmark Corporation and used for the construction of medical furniture. It is still used in that capacity today.

My parents, who still live in Versailles, own a 1977 28' Argosy. I'm actually very impressed with the quality of their trailer and am of the opinion that it is as well-built as Airstreams of the same era. The disadvantage of an Argosy trailer is that the paint fails after a period of time, particularly on the steel end caps. However, once the investment of painting one is made, the exterior maintenance seems to be simpler than that of an Airstream. That, combined with the lower price of the Argosy and the features available in that line that didn't become available until several years later in the Airstreams (such as the wrap-around windows) makes them very appealing. And I know my parents sort of like the fact that their trailer is a bit of a rarity, even at Vintage Airstream events.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the info all! If anyone should hear of a 6.0 metre minuet "fixer-upper" for sale in the Southeast, please drop me a line. My search has just really begun. Thanks again.

jgriffith
jgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

carriere , Mississippi
Red face Argosy

We have a 24 rear door T.T.also 24 Motorhome we love both!!
Our furnace in the T.T. has a bad valuve (gas) Does anyone no if we can buy a new anywhere it is 1977 M.H.1978.Thanks to all DEbi Lynn Mississippi
debijarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
We have only used our 1977 Minuet 6.0 for real camping once. So far it's a great cabana for our hottub! But we love it, for a small trailer the bathroom is very comfortable. It also tows great with our Honda 6 cylinder pilot though we haven't tested it on mountains yet. Will keep a look out for you!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by debijarrell
We have a 24 rear door T.T.also 24 Motorhome we love both!!
Our furnace in the T.T. has a bad valuve (gas) Does anyone no if we can buy a new anywhere it is 1977 M.H.1978.Thanks to all DEbi Lynn Mississippi.
Hope someone can help us with infomation.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Gas Valve

Try the VintageAirstream.com resources page, Google the manufacturer's web page and look for parts, call someone like Oasis RV's Rick Bunnel and ask him about ordering a valve, or try Inland RV. Be sure to have the manufacturer and model of the furnace on hand when inquiring about parts. As old as the furnace is, you might be ahead to replace it. (I don't trust 25+ year old furnaces without having someone bench test it for safety.)
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
The starting year is correct (would most likely have been titled as 1973s). I am less certain about when the "round argosys" were discountinued - - my impression was later than 1980, but can't find that information in my notes.

Kevin
Kevin,

The last year for any of the round Argosys was 1979.
The square Argosys were made from 1986-1989.
The Minuet floorplans were carried over to the Airstream line in a series of Caravelle trailers offered in a 20, 22 and 25 foot model. These were only offered for a couple of years, starting in 1980. These "Caravelles" were of the standard width of 7'8". They also used some of the same features as the 1979 Argosy features. One of these was the use of "flip-up" doors with fabric inserts instead of the tambour doors. These were the first Airstreams offered with these.

I also find the Argosys easier to work on. Everything on an Argosy is located above the floor. You will never find an Argosy with the freshwater tank located mid-ship under the floor. This is just one of the things I like about the Argosys.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

carriere , Mississippi
Thanks for your post.The trouble is we can't find one to fit the area the old one was in.Deb
Old 10-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Furnace

My guess is that, if stock, your furnace was a Suburban NT24SP or NT30SP. Suburban makes a set of these that are all the same dimensions, but different BTU ratings. Measure what you have and then compare measurements with someone like www.rvpartsoutlet.com or www.pplmotorhomes.com. It's possible that your furnace is different, but AS seemed to like the Suburban furnaces in the travel trailers. Andy at Inland RV would likely know what to do if you have an unusual set up.