Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sounds good to us too. We tried on a 20' Argosy while on vacation in Montana last summer, willing to pay $1500, recognizing all the work and expense to be done, but owners wouldn't consider under $3500. Sad us; happy you
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Another Argosy question

I saw an Argosy advertised as a 1978 Argosy 22 and in the picture it has only one axle. Am I really looking at a Minuet 6.7? I know the 22 is a different width than the Minuet 6.7, but doesn't it also have 2 axles? Or is there an Argosy 22 with one axle that is not a Minuet?

By the time I ever have a trailer sitting in my driveway I'm sure I'll have a degree in Argosiology, but until then thanks for bearing with me thru this.

-Jamie
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Info??

Greetings Jamie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I saw an Argosy advertised as a 1978 Argosy 22 and in the picture it has only one axle. Am I really looking at a Minuet 6.7? I know the 22 is a different width than the Minuet 6.7, but doesn't it also have 2 axles? Or is there an Argosy 22 with one axle that is not a Minuet?

By the time I ever have a trailer sitting in my driveway I'm sure I'll have a degree in Argosiology, but until then thanks for bearing with me thru this.

-Jamie
If it is an Argosy single axle coach, the only single axles that I am aware of were the Argosy 20 (last produced in 1977) as well as the Minuet 6.0 and 6.7 Metre coaches. The Argosy 22 with tandem axle according to the literature that I have was last produced during the early part of the 1978 model year - - in fact it wasn't even listed in the showroom literature that I have.

My intuition says that you are looking at an Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre if it is a single axle - - it would have been titled in most states as an Argosy 22' as that is how Airstream/Argosy identified the coach in the paperwork (at least in the US markets). In fact, the VIN would even identify the coach as a 22' - - it should be formatted something like:

22D8V9999

22 = advertised length in feet
D = Double Bed floorplan
8 = Last digit in model year (1978)
V = Versailles, Ohio production facility
9999 = Sequential Production Number

It is more the norm than the exception for mistakes to be made in identifying both Vintage Airstreams and Argosys in advertisements. It seems that almost every Vintage Airstream or Argosy title/registration has at least some factual error - - length, letter "I" and number "1" confusion, letter "O" and number "0" confustion, as well as model year irregularities. About the only way to accurately verify the identity of the coach is through personal inspection or through inspection by a person familiar with these coaches. The one sure way to identify a Minuet is to measure the floor width - - if it is more that a fraction greater than 7' then it is the standard series coach of similar size. Assuming that a prior owner hasn't modified a coach, each Minuet should have a beltline badge identifying the coach as a Minuet if it is a '78 (it occurrs to me that I have never really paid any attention to whether the '77 and '79 Minuets have the same badge in the beltline).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #24
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Kevin,

For what it's worth, my '79 Minuet has this nameplate.

Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Kevin -- Thanks again for the information. Sounds like it's a case of a mis-I.D.'d Minuet 6.7. And if it's titled like you said, the owner may not be aware that being a Minuet might make it more desireable to a potential buyer. The trailer might have the Minuet label in it's beltline, but the picture is too small (and my eyes not that good) to make it out. We're still thinking about whether to pursue this one because it's way far away from us and we're still a bit leary about buying anything from a distance. Not so concerned about having something transported, but we would like to be able to get a firsthand look at it before plunking our money down.

Moonshot -- The picture I saw looked a bit like yours, colors and all, except it was a '78. Love that stripe.
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #26
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
dougjamie,

Thanks for the compliment. Remember, there may be folks who live close to this Argosy willing to scope it out for you.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Info??

Greetings Moonshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Kevin,

For what it's worth, my '79 Minuet has this nameplate.

Thanks for the confirmation about the badging of the '79 Minuets. I was fairly certain that the factory badged all Minuets, but wasn't absolutely certain whether the '79 had an actual metal badge or a "vinyl graphics badge". The one characteristic that the '79 Minuets seem to possess that wasn't generally offered with the '77 and '78 models is the graphic striping - - something that really seems to compliment the design.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote