Old 01-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #15

Smile minuet 6 meter in south fla.

Well, I'm sure glad that I stumbled onto that ad in the rv trader last friday. I didn't even know that there was a minuet with the wrap around windows. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! The interior of this little minuet is almost mint except that the carpet has been replaced and is in need of replacement again. I paid $1400. It has attwood power jack, aluminum 20# tanks, came complete with the torsion bar hitch & sway bar, all adapters for any electric hookup, working fridge, ac,ss magic chef stove, front & rear leveling jacks,crank up wingard tv antenna, 4 more nos aluminum screw type leveling jacks, 2 sleeping bags, and the original zip dee awning in good shape.There were 4 matching orange cereal bowls,Nos hot dog/marshmellow forks in the old celephane pkg, an old wire flyswatter, and an "I love my camper" wall plaque on a slice of pine tree from the smokey mountains.I have been sitting in it grinning for 2 days. The interior is immaculate, no scratches anywhere, but the drape clips are mostly broken. There is wear on the floor area upholstering entering the kitchenette.The vent screen, and both dinete lamp lenscover and bathroom light cover is very yellowed from age. I've never been on a forum, so I've tried to give a good description in case I can't find my way back right away. The rims & tires need replacing as they are mis-matched.................................... IF anyone can guide me to owners manuals and service manuals, or copies, or any original information on this 6 meter, I would really appreciate it.....Jerry

Old 01-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum

Hello Jerry ,
You got a great deal... You will love your Argosy.. We have one and sold our Tradewind when we found the 26' Argosy.. There is a WBCCI rally in Sarasota starting the 23 of Feb.. Get place to go and meet other Airstream and Argosy owners.. We will be there.. hope to see you..

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggteeth
It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! .....Jerry
Awsome grab Jerry! Welcome to the forums. I've only been here a few months but have learned years of info from the very experienced restorers around here. The first thing that I did was buy an Argosy owners manual plus the bigger more generic Airstream service manual. The lone source as far as I know is Secretarial Services of Sidney Ohio. It's highway robbery what they charge for a reprint but I guess they charge what the market will bear
My plastic spiral binding is in poor condition and I'm going to have my wife the librarian get it hard bound.

If you have specific topics to discuss feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate subject area under "FORUMS" at the top of every page.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Jerry - Congratulations! -- and thanks for the nice description. It's a big help in our own search to see what others have paid, and what they paid for. The "I Love My Camper" plaque alone would have sold me.

Hope you have loads of fun with your Minuet!

Jamie
Old 01-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Info??

Greetings Jerry!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership, and congratulations on the FIND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggteeth
Well, I'm sure glad that I stumbled onto that ad in the rv trader last friday. I didn't even know that there was a minuet with the wrap around windows. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! The interior of this little minuet is almost mint except that the carpet has been replaced and is in need of replacement again. I paid $1400. It has attwood power jack, aluminum 20# tanks, came complete with the torsion bar hitch & sway bar, all adapters for any electric hookup, working fridge, ac,ss magic chef stove, front & rear leveling jacks,crank up wingard tv antenna, 4 more nos aluminum screw type leveling jacks, 2 sleeping bags, and the original zip dee awning in good shape.There were 4 matching orange cereal bowls,Nos hot dog/marshmellow forks in the old celephane pkg, an old wire flyswatter, and an "I love my camper" wall plaque on a slice of pine tree from the smokey mountains.I have been sitting in it grinning for 2 days. The interior is immaculate, no scratches anywhere, but the drape clips are mostly broken. There is wear on the floor area upholstering entering the kitchenette.The vent screen, and both dinete lamp lenscover and bathroom light cover is very yellowed from age. I've never been on a forum, so I've tried to give a good description in case I can't find my way back right away. The rims & tires need replacing as they are mis-matched.................................... IF anyone can guide me to owners manuals and service manuals, or copies, or any original information on this 6 meter, I would really appreciate it.....Jerry
It sounds like your Minuet found you much as mine found me. I saw the classified advertisement on the VAC websit at 11:00 p.m. (it had just been posted about 3 minutes earier by the coach's original owner), and I was placing a deposit on the coach less than 48 hours later. The owners' manual for the '78 Minuet is quite complete, and they are offered as NOS wrapped on E-Bay auctions from time to time (I purchased a second copy for my literature display in this manner) - - the price is generally around $50. You can also obtain copies of the manuals via the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_3.html#Manuals
Manuals

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
There appears to be very little in the way of specialized literature addressing just the '78 Minuets. The '78 sales brochure was the most difficult of all my Argosy literature to locate, and it only has two pages describing/picturing the Minuet. The following is the Minuet Photo-page from the '78 brochure:

The following is the Minute floorplan-page from the '78 brochure:

The 6.0 Metre Minuet is the only Minuet model listed in the '78 brochure that I have, and the '77 Minuet wasn't even mentioned in the '77 factory sales brochure that I have. The '79 sales brochure is the only sales literature that I have been able to find the shows all three of the Minuet models.

The deep-wrap windows were pioneered on the Argosy coaches, and the ones used on the Minuets are unique (at least the center section) to the Minuets. The wing windows are difficult to replace if broken (replacements are available from Airstream, but they are solar-gray tinted rather than clear) so it can be helpful to protect the front windows with a rock guard - - the three-piece unit currently sold by Airstream can be fitted by modifying the center section (as chronicled by Janet and Janet's Husband in: How to modify and install rock guard on minuet ).

If your Minuet is like the vast majority of the 6.0 Metres that I have encountered, you will find that it has an aluminum composite floor. Thus far, I have only encountered one 6.0 Metre that didn't have the composite floor material - - I recently encountered a 6.0 Metre with factory plywood floors. On a 6.0 Metre Minuet with composite floors, there are almost no wood products utilized in the construction as the cabinetry is all vinyl-clad aluminum, and much of the furniture is framed in metal as well.

The spoked, steel wheels that were standard on the Minuet are of a design that I haven't been able to locate in today's aftermarket segment. It seems that the wheel that was quite similar was discontinued in the catalogs about five or six years ago. Even more difficult to replace are the original Argosy center caps if they once depart the coach - - the plastic tends to fracture near the attaching hardware and the cap departs the coach after hitting a pothole on the highway (I lost one of mine in this manner in a bridge construction zone in Illinois last year). The wheels are shown as being painted colonial white in the brochure, but the original owner of my coach indicated that they came from the factory painted the burnt-orange/copper color to match the banana wrap on my coach.

You certainly did get a good bargain on your coach based on the description. Mine could have been similarly described when I purchased it, but it didn't have an awning, power jack, stabilizers, TV antenna, nor air conditioner (I paid about $400 less for my coach little more than two years ago). I am sure that you will enjoy your Minuet - - I find that mine is so convenient that I use it more frequently than my Overlander.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up Ggod Deal!

Jerry,
Looks like an excellent deal to me. The ONLY Argosy I have found for sale in my area was a somewhat abused 20' and the owner would not take less than $2500 for it. It eventually sold, but I was unwillilng to pay more than $1500 because of the $ amount of work and the scope of work needed to repair it to usable condition.
Sounds like you found a keeper.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sounds good to us too. We tried on a 20' Argosy while on vacation in Montana last summer, willing to pay $1500, recognizing all the work and expense to be done, but owners wouldn't consider under $3500. Sad us; happy you
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Another Argosy question

I saw an Argosy advertised as a 1978 Argosy 22 and in the picture it has only one axle. Am I really looking at a Minuet 6.7? I know the 22 is a different width than the Minuet 6.7, but doesn't it also have 2 axles? Or is there an Argosy 22 with one axle that is not a Minuet?

By the time I ever have a trailer sitting in my driveway I'm sure I'll have a degree in Argosiology, but until then thanks for bearing with me thru this.

-Jamie
Old 01-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Info??

Greetings Jamie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I saw an Argosy advertised as a 1978 Argosy 22 and in the picture it has only one axle. Am I really looking at a Minuet 6.7? I know the 22 is a different width than the Minuet 6.7, but doesn't it also have 2 axles? Or is there an Argosy 22 with one axle that is not a Minuet?

By the time I ever have a trailer sitting in my driveway I'm sure I'll have a degree in Argosiology, but until then thanks for bearing with me thru this.

-Jamie
If it is an Argosy single axle coach, the only single axles that I am aware of were the Argosy 20 (last produced in 1977) as well as the Minuet 6.0 and 6.7 Metre coaches. The Argosy 22 with tandem axle according to the literature that I have was last produced during the early part of the 1978 model year - - in fact it wasn't even listed in the showroom literature that I have.

My intuition says that you are looking at an Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre if it is a single axle - - it would have been titled in most states as an Argosy 22' as that is how Airstream/Argosy identified the coach in the paperwork (at least in the US markets). In fact, the VIN would even identify the coach as a 22' - - it should be formatted something like:

22D8V9999

22 = advertised length in feet
D = Double Bed floorplan
8 = Last digit in model year (1978)
V = Versailles, Ohio production facility
9999 = Sequential Production Number

It is more the norm than the exception for mistakes to be made in identifying both Vintage Airstreams and Argosys in advertisements. It seems that almost every Vintage Airstream or Argosy title/registration has at least some factual error - - length, letter "I" and number "1" confusion, letter "O" and number "0" confustion, as well as model year irregularities. About the only way to accurately verify the identity of the coach is through personal inspection or through inspection by a person familiar with these coaches. The one sure way to identify a Minuet is to measure the floor width - - if it is more that a fraction greater than 7' then it is the standard series coach of similar size. Assuming that a prior owner hasn't modified a coach, each Minuet should have a beltline badge identifying the coach as a Minuet if it is a '78 (it occurrs to me that I have never really paid any attention to whether the '77 and '79 Minuets have the same badge in the beltline).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #24
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Kevin,

For what it's worth, my '79 Minuet has this nameplate.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Kevin -- Thanks again for the information. Sounds like it's a case of a mis-I.D.'d Minuet 6.7. And if it's titled like you said, the owner may not be aware that being a Minuet might make it more desireable to a potential buyer. The trailer might have the Minuet label in it's beltline, but the picture is too small (and my eyes not that good) to make it out. We're still thinking about whether to pursue this one because it's way far away from us and we're still a bit leary about buying anything from a distance. Not so concerned about having something transported, but we would like to be able to get a firsthand look at it before plunking our money down.

Moonshot -- The picture I saw looked a bit like yours, colors and all, except it was a '78. Love that stripe.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #26
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
dougjamie,

Thanks for the compliment. Remember, there may be folks who live close to this Argosy willing to scope it out for you.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Info??

Greetings Moonshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Kevin,

For what it's worth, my '79 Minuet has this nameplate.

Thanks for the confirmation about the badging of the '79 Minuets. I was fairly certain that the factory badged all Minuets, but wasn't absolutely certain whether the '79 had an actual metal badge or a "vinyl graphics badge". The one characteristic that the '79 Minuets seem to possess that wasn't generally offered with the '77 and '78 models is the graphic striping - - something that really seems to compliment the design.

Kevin

AIR #827