Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Argosy Help

Okay guys you all have helped me sooooo much. What a truly great forum. Now I need somemore helpppp. There is A 24 ft Argosy on ebay with 2 days left alot of people bidding but seems like a good price it is a long distance from us so we will have to take that into consideration on getting her home. Some of you pros please take a look the inside looks doable but the outside need lots of tlc (paint). If you had this camper what would you do with the outside? And what do you think would be a fair price?
The ebay item number is 4577811847. Thanks for any input or output.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Becky, The trailer looks pretty nice to me, if everything works that is a good price also. I just painted our trailer this summer and the material cost $1600.00 with me doing all the work, that is for a 26ft and Imron paint, so it can get pretty costly. You would need to repack the wheel bearings and be sure you have a spare tire to bring it home. Hope this is some help. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Becky, Just looked at again, didn't notice the reserve hasn't been met. Hard to say, I would go about 1500.00 myself. Marivn
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Becky, some things to consider:

MN is a long way. A trailer made before 74 doesn't have a grey water tank. This trailer needs a paint job.

Be prepared to replace the axles on this trailer and many others this vintage - they wear out - so be sure to factor in the cost.

Ask questions! Are the floors sound? are there any leaks in the plumbing? How old are the tires - they usually rot before the tread is gone.... are the front windows intact (very expensive to replace)

On the other hand - if you can get it cheaply.....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
more things

Really, any trailer of that vintage will need systems replaced at some time. Figure on... (from my experience with our 26ft Argosy)
1) AC - eventually they go... but run great until they die. (500-$700)
2) Fridge - check for an ammonia smell or yellow dust on the coils - this means the ammonia has leaked out.... the fridge will have to be replaced ($1000 - 1200 - but there are those who rebuild newer ones for less).
3) Univolt (converter from AC to 12v DC). About $200.
4) Heater (just did mine, I highly recommend you replace it for your safety). $500-600.
5) Hot water tank - just use it until it leaks. $300.00

I stripped our paint off. Aside from the steel endcaps on the ends, it looks great. You might be able to strip off the peeling paint on the top and just Krylon paint it to match.

Fun working on the trailer and using it - priceless!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Hi Becky,

BTW, The camper doesn't have A/C or a gas fridge.

I just asked the following questions of the owner and I'll let you know when I get a reply...

"Hi, Thanks for listing this classic Airstream. Can you please verify for me that all the appliances currently work? Are the fresh and waste water systems fully functional? When were the tires last replaced and the wheel bearings serviced? Are the propane tanks upgraded to the new OPD valve requirement? Do all the windows and doors work well, lock and have good seals? Finally, what kind of tow vehicle connecter does it have and do all the exterior lights function?

Thanks for your attention to these important questions, "
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 AM   #7

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Here's the reply that I just got back from the owner....

"original fridge is replaced by plug in mini-fridge. stove works, heater works, fresh water system works, needs new containment valve in waste tank. have owned for 4 yrs tires came on it. bearings inspected 2 yrs ago. propane tanks have not been upgraded yet. windows work well, no leaks, door shuts and seals well but lock needs attention. standard round connector for lights, all exterior lights work. thanks for questions."
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 09-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #8

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Doesn't that just go to show how little most people actually say in an Ebay ad?