Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Kitty Hawk , North Carolina
Argosy front fresh water tank

Any idea how much one of the contoured original water tanks would cost that goes across the front of the camper....under the sofa bed? ...and are they hard to find?
Wingnut1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Try some places like Colaws for a used one. Otherwise, cost ???? New probably not available. I would think you could replace with a tank that is rectangular in plan or trapezoidal that would give you a little less capacity. There are outfits that build tanks to your specs in case you can't find a ready made close enough to what you need. You draw it, they build it.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Kitty Hawk , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Try some places like Colaws for a used one. Otherwise, cost ???? New probably not available. I would think you could replace with a tank that is rectangular in plan or trapezoidal that would give you a little less capacity. There are outfits that build tanks to your specs in case you can't find a ready made close enough to what you need. You draw it, they build it.
Thanks, Argo! The situation is that I have one.....and I'm trying to value it.
Wingnut1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Let me know too Wingnut 'cuz I'm taking my old - but otherwise perfectly good - one out this week and replacing it with custom made aluminum.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tch-69584.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Put it for sale and see what someone offers you. "One man's trash is another man's treasure"
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Is this the original water tank, or a modification? I thought that the 70's era trailers all had the water tank under the floor, in the double bay in fromt of the axle.

I have been looking high and low for black and grey water tanks. My experience is that custom tanks are high dollar. There are lots of places that have a variety of rectangular tanks, and an off-the-shelf item isn't too expensive. For example, the off-the-shelf tank that a lot of folks use for gray water, from PPL Motorhomes is about $160. The Vintage airstream specific model from VTS, which is a limited run tank is $200 and has about half the capacity of the PPL tank. A similarly sized custom item was quoted at $365 (!).

If it turns out that your trailer was originally built with the water tank under the floor, you can still buy those original tanks from Out of Doors Mart and possibly from Inland for around $350-400 plus shipping.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Is this the original water tank, or a modification? I thought that the 70's era trailers all had the water tank under the floor, in the double bay in fromt of the axle.

I have been looking high and low for black and grey water tanks. My experience is that custom tanks are high dollar. There are lots of places that have a variety of rectangular tanks, and an off-the-shelf item isn't too expensive. For example, the off-the-shelf tank that a lot of folks use for gray water, from PPL Motorhomes is about $160. The Vintage airstream specific model from VTS, which is a limited run tank is $200 and has about half the capacity of the PPL tank. A similarly sized custom item was quoted at $365 (!).

If it turns out that your trailer was originally built with the water tank under the floor, you can still buy those original tanks from Out of Doors Mart and possibly from Inland for around $350-400 plus shipping.
Most Argosy trailers I've seen (mine included, of course) have the fresh water tank above the floor at the front... under either the gaucho or the dinette (depending on what's installed across the front.) The black tank was also above the floor on many Argosy models, but when they started adding gray tanks the gray went under the floor.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
SmokelessJoe stop...

Hello Sergei,

I would suggest you not proceed with an aluminum water tank…from experience, the aluminum tank will develop several small pinholes within the first year and by the second year leak like a sieve!
Chris
newsgauger
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Chris,

Can you give me some details about your experience? How about coating the inside with epoxy? ( I never drink the water )

Thanks,

Sergei
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I had a sob with a pressurized aluminum fresh water tank. Couldn't keep it from leaking. Take newsguager's advice, don't get one.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Aluminum tanks...

Hello Sergei,

About a year ago now, I used an aluminum tank (2x2x4) to store water in. The water was both rain water and fresh tap water. I used the water to water my orchids during the winter months.

During the first year I noticed pitting on the inside of the tank and by the second year the tanks leaked everywhere.

By the end of that year, I drained the water and replaced it with those white plastic barrels…

Chris
newsgauger
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Check here for something close. I upgraded mine to a bigger one.
Page 3 - RV Water Tanks

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
I note that the latest, advanced model water heater from Atwood features an ALUMINUM tank.

Sergei
Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I have two aluminium waste water tanks, one on each of my rug trucks. They have each developed holes, one at 2800 hours of use and the other at 950 hours. The 2800 hr failure is quite a bit heavier gauge aluminium.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
I note that the latest, advanced model water heater from Atwood features an ALUMINUM tank.

Sergei
Some hot water heaters now have interior coated to keep from corroding. I think I read that somewhere. Or maybe I was just dreaming.