Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

1973 Argosy 26
Shelton , Connecticut
Argosy fresh water tank

Im looking for help to get a new fresh water tank for my 1973 Argosy 26. It has 2 rounded corners to fit the shape of the front of the camper. If anyone has a phone number to Airstream or a plstic tank place that makes them. or any other info I would appreciate your help.
Thanks
Ron

Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
I emailed Inca Plastics, who seem to have made most of the Airstream tanks in the 70s, and received no response. If you find a source I'd be interested, mine has a crack near the filler inlet that was plastic-welded once and has apparently cracked again, I'd like to put in a new one if I go to the trouble of pulling out the dinette to get to the tank.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I emailed Inca Plastics, who seem to have made most of the Airstream tanks in the 70s, and received no response. If you find a source I'd be interested, mine has a crack near the filler inlet that was plastic-welded once and has apparently cracked again, I'd like to put in a new one if I go to the trouble of pulling out the dinette to get to the tank.
How about a photo?

Andy
Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodronnie View Post
Im looking for help to get a new fresh water tank for my 1973 Argosy 26. It has 2 rounded corners to fit the shape of the front of the camper. If anyone has a phone number to Airstream or a plstic tank place that makes them. or any other info I would appreciate your help.
Thanks
Ron
How about a photo?

A couple of different tanks were used.

Andy
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
I believe this is the one he's talking about. The filler neck on this has been welded and cracked again then it was epoxied and cracked again. It is 77"x8"x12".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0712.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	180899  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I believe this is the one he's talking about. The filler neck on this has been welded and cracked again then it was epoxied and cracked again. It is 77"x8"x12".
That would be the one, down to the location of the drain and output fittings.

Anyone know of a source?

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
If it keeps cracking it must have some pull in one direction or another. Or the tank is moving around when the trailer is going down the road, to cause it to continue to break. Once it is plastic welded it should not break again, unless there is some torque on the neck causing it to break. If you buy a new one and do not fix the original problem of torque on the neck, the new one will break eventually. Make sure the tank is fastened to the trailer, so it will not move around when traveling.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You need to block the tank to keep it from moving. It will move more when it is 1/2 to 1/4 full. Because of the sloshing. The blocks should have enough surface area so they will not put pressure on a small area and wear a hole in the tank.
The photo of the tank above looks like the tank in my '74 Argosy 26', except my tank is aqua color.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
These are Polyethylene you are talking about, right? Are these tanks after 40 years usually still reliable? If it doesn't leak would you reinstall with no or little reservation. They don't break down or get brittle or anything?

thanks
Tony
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Thanks in advance guys.......

I usually tow with my fresh tank empty because I could feel the trailer pushing my tow vehicle around because of the sloshing of the water...and it freaked me out. It hadn't dawned on me that the sloshing could have had expensive, and messy consequences. I'm sold on carrying gerry cans .....again.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
These are Polyethylene you are talking about, right? Are these tanks after 40 years usually still reliable? If it doesn't leak would you reinstall with no or little reservation. They don't break down or get brittle or anything?

thanks
Tony
Mine had a leak, which I repaired, and installed under the curbside bed, with no reservations. It is not brittle, and has not leaked, yet!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
That is what is what I felt. Good to hear positive results. I was strongly considering changing it out on general principal but at $120 freight alone, from the next state over. I figured if possible I would pass. The tank looked good and clean, not new.

Good luck with yours hotrodronnie
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0292.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	180927  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Mine looks just like Tom S picture. It had a crack at the bottom where the anti-slosh curves are, and I added 2 cleanouts on top, used some of the material cut from the top as "welding" material. I "welded" the crack, and it is good as new. I relocated the tank under the curbside bed, and added a fill line from the fresh water line, or I can fill it with a hose thru the storage door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030008.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	180937  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Mine looks just like Tom S picture. It had a crack at the bottom where the anti-slosh curves are, and I added 2 cleanouts on top, used some of the material cut from the top as "welding" material. I "welded" the crack, and it is good as new. I relocated the tank under the curbside bed, and added a fill line from the fresh water line, or I can fill it with a hose thru the storage door.
Roger.

Your tank is not the same.

Please notice where the filler neck is on the tank in Tom S photo.

There was 2 different tanks used back then.

We had an issue getting one of these before, but got it resolved.

One of them is 82 inches long, which we have.

Andy