Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
Argosy brakes, bearings

Note to moderator, if this belongs elswhere, please move.

Now that the rains stopped, was finishing brake assembly replacement on the left side of my 24' argosy. Repacked the bearings in the process. When I got the last bearing cage packed, was cleaning out the race, when I noticed and odd mark. Turns out the race is cracked. So tomorrow stopping by by NAPA for replacement bearing, and a spare or two.

Last fall trailer had all four drums pulled for PA safety inspection. No problem noted by mechanic. He may not have been looking closely either.

So it pays to do your own re-lube, if you pay attention. This is one that's not going to get me on the road.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Way to go there! A personal stake makes the eyes much sharper.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
Question

Finally got around to finishing the brake renewal and bearing lube.

The last bearing that I looked, had cracked pitted outer race. When I removed the race discovered the ugly truth. Some fool, either PO, or mechanic installed a Timken cage into the existing NGK outer race.

So "they" did a quick bearing change. Darn fools and their tools should be separated, permanently.

Now I'll have to consider going back, pulling all the races, to look for mismatch. OTOH since I got the Argosy last year, and the PO made several trips to the Outer Banks, (the old grease verified it), maybe go with, iffen it aint broke don't fix it.

Ideas???
Old 05-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
ls99,
I just finished putting on new brake backing assemblies, repacking bearings and installing new aluminum rims with new Maxxis tires. On the last axle I did, it seemed that the inner bearing was acting funny. I had cleaned it out by flushing the cage with brake cleaning fluid and looked for metal shavings but not removing the seal/bearings/race. I packed the bearing and put everything back together but found something wrong. The bearing seemed a little rough before the drum was removed and it was the same way when it went back together. It seemed that it would run smoothly a turn or two then it became rough then settled out again.

I removed the drum, had the seal knocked out and inspected the inner bearing more closely which I should have done in the first place. The rollers has a small amount of flaking and it was at this time I found a Chinese bearing mated with a Japanese race! Wow, wouldn't you know it. I replaced the set with Federal-Mogul bearing, race and National/Federal-Mogul oil seal. The parts guy tried to give me a single lip National seal but I had him look closer for a double lipped seal which he finally found. Everything went back together fine and I take the trailer for a test run this evening to check bearing cap temps, brake burnishing/adjustment and then re-torque the aluminum rims.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
Hmmmm... Et tu Brute? Sheesh. I'd be willing to bet that there are many mismatched bearings out here.