Old 09-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #15
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Is there a website of photos for the Minuet's...like the "Crazy Like You" section of AirstreamDreamsDOTcom...?
I'd like to do a photo tour of these, and don't know where to look.
.......Cat

Old 09-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #16
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Re: Tow Vehicles...
I have thought of using a Ford Bronco...because there's more 'trunk' /storage space.
The shorter wheel base should work for anything less than 3K pounds...even 550 tounge weight...shouldn't it?
Does anyone know the comparison between the Cadillac and a Bronco (say), regarding the 'wheel base'? i.e., is the Cadillac considered a 'short' wheelbase?

Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Bronco's make poor tow vehicles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I have thought of using a Ford Bronco...because there's more 'trunk' /storage space.
The shorter wheel base should work for anything less than 3K pounds...even 550 tounge weight...shouldn't it?
Does anyone know the comparison between the Cadillac and a Bronco (say), regarding the 'wheel base'? i.e., is the Cadillac considered a 'short' wheelbase?
We pulled prior trailer (23' Nomad Weekender) using full size Ford Bronco with 351 V-8 for two years before giving up and acquiring Suburban.. Bronco wheelbase is sooo short, and steering (recirculation ball system v. rack and pinion) and suspension soooo tall that (Thank God!) dealer would not sell us trailer or let us leave his lot without spring bars and serious anti-sway friction bar...

Even still, first time truck passed me on freeway we almost ended up in guardrail off the shoulder.. My wife watched in fascination as any large vehicle passage resulted in swing towards other vehicle when they passed rear of trailer, and swing away after they cleared.. I would have to anticipate and turn steering wheel of Bronco about 1/4 turn to stay generally on the highway... Wind only made it worse... While it has plenty of power, I'd be very wary of pulling anything other than very small and very light trailer with a Bronco....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy 20' Minuet weight?

Greetings Cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
When you mention Cadillac, are you thinking of the Escalade and its derivatives or the various passenger sedans? If you are thinking of the Escalade, it is essentially similar to the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon; the ESV, is essentially similar to the Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - - with comparable trailer tow ratings. With the current sedans, the best available tow ratings is 3,000 pounds and realistically the availability of a suitable hitch may be a limiting factor (I don't remember seeing any current Cadillac sedan entries in the Reese receiver charts the last time that I checked).

If you are thinking the older Cadillacs, the Cadillac Brougham with 5.7 liter V8 that was discontinued during the 1990s was a long-wheelbase rear-wheel drive sedan (I can't find my reference book with specifications, but believe that it was on a 126" or 129" wheelbase) - - the trailer tow rating was in the 6,000 pound range when ordered with the factory trailer tow package.

The one thing that I have learned towing with my '75 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible is that front wheel drive does have some peculiar characteristics when towing. It is fine once underway, but take-off from a stop can be interesting in loose gravel or on wet surfaces especially if there is an uphill slope involved. I have learned to be VERY careful to get the hitch adjustment correct as if there isn't enough weight transferred forward the front wheel spin can become a challenge on uphill slopes from a stop.

Good luck with your investigations!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote