Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Argosy 20' Minuet weight?

Hi,
I am new to all this...Airstreaming and forums.
I have a 1977 Argosy Minuet and am trying to find out the weight to then decide on a new tow vehicle. I am not able to acess the weight charts on the Airstrem web site. ( I'm on a MAC)
so I was wondering if anyone has this same trailer and could ball park the weight for me.

I currently own a Mazda MPV 6 cylinder rear wheel drive that has a tow capacity of 3000 lbs and a Volvo 850 that has the same capacity. The Volvo is much more powerful car. Will I kill it on a crosscountry trip this summer if I use it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
sturzsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1977 Minuet 6.0 Metre Weight?

Greetings sturzsongs!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Minuet ownership!

You will find that there are a number of Minuet owners here on the Forum - - including all three varieties - - 6.0 Metre (20 foot) - - 6.7 Metre (22 foot) - - and 7.3 Metre (24 foot).

Quote:
I am not able to acess the weight charts on the Airstrem web site. ( I'm on a MAC) so I was wondering if anyone has this same trailer and could ball park the weight for me.
The attached is a scan of the floorplans and weights for the '78 Minuet - - the '77 was virtually identical and the weights should be much the same - - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for both years was 3,250(?) <I need to double-check this with the placquard on my coach as it may be 3,200.> pounds. The empty weight (without factory options nor any fluids) were coach - - 2,450 pounds and hitch weight 395 pounds.

Realistically, the loaded weight of the Minuet is generally very close to the GVWR of 3,250 - - mine runs right at 3,100 pounds most of the time for extended trips - - the hitch weight when loaded runs very close to 550 pounds. I have been using the Reese Straight Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control and 500 pound weight distribution bars when towing with the Suburban or 700 pound weight distribution bars when towing with the Cadillac (very softly sprung).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Wow, Thank you so much for your response! I went to your page and downloaded the brochure for the Minuet. Great info!

Between your info, the brochure and a site on Volvo as a tow vehicle, I'm going to try the old Volvo as my tow car.
If anyone has experiance with towing with an 850, or any other ideas, insights etc. I would love to hear about it.
This is a great web site.
Thank you again for your response.

Lisa
Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Manuals and road readiness

Hello again,

I am looking for an owners manual for my 77 Argosy minuet. Any ideas where I might find such a beast?

Also as I get ready for this cross country trip this summer what do I need to have checked out? I have been reading about axles, brakes, shocks, and this rear bathroom problem. I haven't yet filled it with water. Is there anything I can be looking for as a sign that this will be a problem?

I have towed it probably 500 mile and not had a problem at all, very smooth, but I want to be safe.

I bought mine last summer for 700.00 in MA. It is in excellent shape except that it hadn't been winterized and the pipes burst. I had all that fixed and all systems checked to the tune of 1000.00 but still feel I got a great deal. I lived in it in VT for 2 months last summer and it was GREAT. ( came with AC thank goodness)

The only other problem is that someone hand painted it robins egg blue. I intend to get it painted at some point, but may not be able to do it before our trip. Will I be laughed out of Airstream rallys with my little blue egg?

Final question. I want to join Wally Bayam's club but don't seem to be able to locate the Vin# or serial #.
On the side by the door there is a plaque with #'s but they seem to be about California inspection.
Where would I find the #'s?

I love this forum!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings sturzsongs!

Quote:
Any ideas where I might find such a beast?
The problem that you may encounter is that the manual for 1977 Argosys from Secretarial Services mentioned below probably does not cover the Minuet. It seems that the Minuet was added to the line during the '77 model run and wasn't mentioned in the 1977 Argosy manual that I have - - there is a section in the 1978 manual that mentions the Minuet, but it is a part of the full-line Argosy owners' manual for 1978. You can find copies of these manuals from:

<quoted from Vintage Airstream Club website>
Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information
Quote:
Also as I get ready for this cross country trip this summer what do I need to have checked out?
Since I am not mechanically inclined and wish to avoid on-the-road repairs if at all possible, I generally have the following inspections/services performed by my Airstream dealer on my coach each season:

1.) Repack wheel bearings, inspect brakes, shocks, tires, and axle(s).
2.) System check LP delivery including main regulator and all appliances. Clean burners/flues on refrigerator, furnace, and water heater.
3.) Check air conditioner for proper cooling and service as necessary.

Prior to taking the coach to the dealer, I perform the following check to identify any winter damage that may need repair:

1.) Fill water tank and observce for any leakage.
2.) Pressurize water system looking for leaking pipes, faucets, or joints. Check low point drains to be sure that they can be fully closed - - each year I find that one or two of these have failed and allow water to drip.
3.) Fill and flush holding tank(s) observing for dump valve leakage or other points of leakage.
4.) Operate all electrical appliances on both 12-volt and AC circuits observing for any inoperable items or items that aren't functioning to satisfaction.
5.) Check coach for seals, windows, or door alignment issues that need to be addressed on pre-season trip to dealer.

Quote:
Will I be laughed out of Airstream rallys with my little blue egg?
That is part of the fun of Argosy ownership. You aren't locked into a particular color. At the various WBCCI and Vintage Airstream Club functions that I have attended, Argosys have arrived painted in a variety of colors - - one of the most striking was one painted Rose Haze Firemist (an early 80s Cadillac color). The objective at most of these WBCCI/VAC events is to enjoy your coach, and if the color suits you then there is no real reason to change. I suspect that the color on your Minuet probably is similar to the blue on my Cadillac towcar - - I have toyed with the idea of painting the trailer to match the car, but then it would be a strange combination with my emerald green Suburban.

Quote:
I want to join Wally Bayam's club but don't seem to be able to locate the Vin# or serial #. On the side by the door there is a plaque with #'s but they seem to be about California inspection. Where would I find the #'s?
The VIN and related manufacturing numbers are usually on an aluminum plate attached to the front panel below the windows (usually just above and behind the LP tanks on the streetside). If you have the factory spare tire mount on the tongue of the coach, you may have to remove the spare tire to see the plaque. The serial number should take the form of:

20D7V####

20=the length in feet as advertised by the factory
D=the sleeping arrangement D=Double Bed/T=Twin Beds
7=the last digit of the model year
V=the Versailles, Ohio assembly plant
####=the sequential serial number

Good luck with your investigations!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Our Minuet has the VIN tag at the bottom front street side.
The manual question is an interesting question. The manual we received when we bought the unit, (original manual) does cover all of the Minuet systems but I don't know if it mentions it by name.
I'll look tonight and let you know.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello Lisa - We have the 22' Minuet and when we got our Owners Manual, it was Titled for the Argosy line (meaning regular Argosies), but included the Minuet 20' & 22' models and relevant info. Showed layout of both w/placement of outlets, covered options, weights both dry and gross, tank placement, etc. If you just make sure to give Helen the correct year of your "egg", and that it is a MINUET, I'm sure she will send correct booklet. By the way, we also tried for a service manual - NO such animal, we were told. I think Lgt Blue would be quite nice- have you posted pics? Later,

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Our Minuet has the VIN tag at the bottom front street side.
The manual question is an interesting question. The manual we received when we bought the unit, (original manual) does cover all of the Minuet systems but I don't know if it mentions it by name.
I'll look tonight and let you know.
Well I looked at our manual it is titled 1977 Argosy Owner's Manual. It does not mention the Minuet but all the data on the 20' model pertains directly to the Minuet. At least I haven't found anything that isn't correct.
Good Luck
Old 05-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Gary!

If your manual is the same as mine, it covers the 20 foot in all regards except on the weight charts for Empty Weight/Hitch Weight/Weight of Options/Variable weights where the chart starts with the 22 foot. It is almost as if the manual were left vague in this area in preparation for th Minuet's introduction. When placed side-by-side, the only real discernable difference between two coaches with the front lounge floorplan was that the front lounge on the Argosy 20 had an upholstered arm on the streetside while the Minuet did not - - otherwise the only other difference between the two coaches was the 8" difference in width (seems to account for the lack of an armrest on the front lounge in the Minuet). The '78 Argosy Manual was the first of those that I have to list the Minuet in the weight charts, and then only the 6.0 metre. In the '79 Argosy Owner's Manual, all three sizes of Minuets are covered in the weights and measures chart.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-07-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hello again,
Wow I am loving this! Having never used a forum before I am amazed at this whole process!
I have ordered a manual and am having all the things inspected on my "egg" that are listed. Now my next question is....
Do we need to reserve camp sites for this trip we are making? Our plan is to be very loose about route and timing so I'd prefer not to, but if that is unwise we will plan it a little more.
Any feedback would be great.

I will post a picture in the next few days. The color of my camper is DEFINATLY not one I would choose and the fact that it was hand painted and rusting in spots makes it look road weary, but we can't pull it all together before we leave.

Thanks again for being as enthusiastic as we are.
Happy Trails........
Lisa
Old 05-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Lisa!

Quote:
Do we need to reserve camp sites for this trip we are making? Our plan is to be very loose about route and timing so I'd prefer not to, but if that is unwise we will plan it a little more.
The answer in my experience is that "it depends". The two variables that I have noticed that have an impact most frequently are whether the campground is near a major tourist attraction or if it is near a major holiday or near the date of a local festival. In those cases, it is often necessary to reserve ahead.

What I have found successful is to plan for my final destination for the evening when I stop for lunch. I then check my guidebooks and call ahead (I usually use my cell phone) to the campground where I plan to stop and make a reservation for the evening - - even with a preference for pull-through this has worked more than 90% of the time for me.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-08-2004, 08:31 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

What a great idea! Thanks!
Lisa
Old 05-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

weight and vin#

Hi again,
I have searched everywhere for the plate that would contain these pieces of info. It's not on the front by the propane tank, nor is it underneath anywhere. The only thing I find is a thing on the side that seems to be a thing that states that it meets California building codes. Those #s are as follows 387014 that say RV under it and 5193 that says VIN.
Could these be it? This is a 20' Argosy minuet or more likely a 6.0. Any ideas about this?
Thanks Lisa
Old 05-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturzsongs
Hi again,
I have searched everywhere for the plate that would contain these pieces of info. It's not on the front by the propane tank, nor is it underneath anywhere. The only thing I find is a thing on the side that seems to be a thing that states that it meets California building codes. Those #s are as follows 387014 that say RV under it and 5193 that says VIN.
Could these be it? This is a 20' Argosy minuet or more likely a 6.0. Any ideas about this?
Thanks Lisa
Lisa our 77 Minuet has that plate on the Curb side front and it is the California compliance certificate it does contain the serial number of the trailer. The Airstream VIN plate is in the same spot but on the Street side of the trailer. If it is not there It must be lost. The VIN/Serial number should be something like A20M7Sxxxx The xxxx being the number you see on the California certificate.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Is there a website of photos for the Minuet's...like the "Crazy Like You" section of AirstreamDreamsDOTcom...?
I'd like to do a photo tour of these, and don't know where to look.
.......Cat
Old 09-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #16
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Re: Tow Vehicles...
I have thought of using a Ford Bronco...because there's more 'trunk' /storage space.
The shorter wheel base should work for anything less than 3K pounds...even 550 tounge weight...shouldn't it?
Does anyone know the comparison between the Cadillac and a Bronco (say), regarding the 'wheel base'? i.e., is the Cadillac considered a 'short' wheelbase?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Bronco's make poor tow vehicles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I have thought of using a Ford Bronco...because there's more 'trunk' /storage space.
The shorter wheel base should work for anything less than 3K pounds...even 550 tounge weight...shouldn't it?
Does anyone know the comparison between the Cadillac and a Bronco (say), regarding the 'wheel base'? i.e., is the Cadillac considered a 'short' wheelbase?
We pulled prior trailer (23' Nomad Weekender) using full size Ford Bronco with 351 V-8 for two years before giving up and acquiring Suburban.. Bronco wheelbase is sooo short, and steering (recirculation ball system v. rack and pinion) and suspension soooo tall that (Thank God!) dealer would not sell us trailer or let us leave his lot without spring bars and serious anti-sway friction bar...

Even still, first time truck passed me on freeway we almost ended up in guardrail off the shoulder.. My wife watched in fascination as any large vehicle passage resulted in swing towards other vehicle when they passed rear of trailer, and swing away after they cleared.. I would have to anticipate and turn steering wheel of Bronco about 1/4 turn to stay generally on the highway... Wind only made it worse... While it has plenty of power, I'd be very wary of pulling anything other than very small and very light trailer with a Bronco....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
When you mention Cadillac, are you thinking of the Escalade and its derivatives or the various passenger sedans? If you are thinking of the Escalade, it is essentially similar to the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon; the ESV, is essentially similar to the Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - - with comparable trailer tow ratings. With the current sedans, the best available tow ratings is 3,000 pounds and realistically the availability of a suitable hitch may be a limiting factor (I don't remember seeing any current Cadillac sedan entries in the Reese receiver charts the last time that I checked).

If you are thinking the older Cadillacs, the Cadillac Brougham with 5.7 liter V8 that was discontinued during the 1990s was a long-wheelbase rear-wheel drive sedan (I can't find my reference book with specifications, but believe that it was on a 126" or 129" wheelbase) - - the trailer tow rating was in the 6,000 pound range when ordered with the factory trailer tow package.

The one thing that I have learned towing with my '75 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible is that front wheel drive does have some peculiar characteristics when towing. It is fine once underway, but take-off from a stop can be interesting in loose gravel or on wet surfaces especially if there is an uphill slope involved. I have learned to be VERY careful to get the hitch adjustment correct as if there isn't enough weight transferred forward the front wheel spin can become a challenge on uphill slopes from a stop.

Good luck with your investigations!

Kevin
AIR #827