Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Calgary , Alberta
Appliance replacements

Hello...renos still going on. I am thinking of replacing the original water heater and furnace. I have been reading various opinions about different types. I was hoping that everyone had some opinions of what is best and what I should be looking for. I am in the process of changing out all the plumbing to pex with a manifold system, shut off valves and a future antifreeze attachment. So I figure if I am going to all of this I should change out the original appliances although I am going to keep the fridge and oven. Thanks.

CampingwKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
I had that same problem with our 76 Argosy, repair or replace. So we purchased all new replacement appliances. Furnace, fridge, water heater and stove. The first thing that I realized was they all require a new 12 volt line for the electronic ignition. No more lying on the floor trying to light the furnace pilot, but another project added to the list of things to do. That led to replacing the old unitvolt, new wiring, new cover plate to resize the cutout for the water heater and revamping the plumping. We are glad to have the convenience of the new appliances, they all work great. Just wasn't expecting the amount of work involved to add them to the existing trailer.

kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I will assume the existing water heater is a 6 gallon Bowen. If so, an Atwood 6 gallon unit will be a direct replacement.
You can get one that does not require 12 volts DC.
They are a basic unit that you can lite manually. Very reliable with no extras. Should cost less than an electronic unit.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
My .02 worth, I opted for a DSI (direct spark ignition) atwood water heater. You do have to find +12 some place , but that is easy in an Argo and the best feature, you can turn it off at night with a switch and turn it on without ever venturing outside or messing with a pilot.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
One more issue to consider when replacing appliances, if you desire to upgrade to a larger water heater, you may have to enlarge the opening, which was problematic for me since inside it is boxed in.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote