Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Another new Argosy owner!

Just picked up our 1979 27' Argosy last night.

Our first RV, thanks to having a little one 9 months ago (and many of our friends who we camp with also having kids in the past year...and thus also getting RV's) and couldn't be more excited.

Previous owners had it since 1982 and passed down a generation. Couldn't believe how great shape it was inside...was our first look at an Airstream, as there just aren't that mnay in this part of the world, at least in our price range what we wanted to spend for a first trailer, and just loved the interior and quality. Obviously it helps that the current owner kept it in great shape and original shape but could tell the superior quality and design as opposed to other model trailers of this vintage that we had walked through. We knew we wanted it within 30 seconds of being in it.

As said, almost all original. Original blue carpet. The rear fold down couch with vanity. We wanted to have some room for the little one...with the front couch, were pleased with just as much floor space there in fact was. Owner has put in new curtians. Newer power inverter in the back. An LPG sensor added 20 years ago, no idea if it still works. New housing on the roof for the AC and vent covers. Otherwise, all original, and everything works and as mentioned in great shape. Tons of storage in this floor plan.

All the documentation..full owners manual, Airstream towing guide (list all the vehicles that can tow and what options needed) warranty cards and instructions for the oven, fridge, everything.

Outside could probably use a refresh on the white paint, but doesn't appear (inside or out) to have any leaking issues.
TV antenna is still there and extends/retracts.
White steel wheels that are still in good shape. Newer tires.

And its got a striping scheme I haven't seen here or even through Googling...blue stripes to go along with the blue interior package.
Just like the orange striping that seems the common (and is in all the manuals), but blue. Would love to find replacements for them, as they have "character lines" and need replaced. Owners father painted the front hitch and LPG tanks (still the original aluminum) silver for some reason from the OEM white.

Owners were great, showed us how to work everything from top to bottom, and they were pleased to pass it on to someone who appreciated it for what it is...a classic. Also included (after realizing the original hitch wouldn't work (too high) on my tow vehicle) a drop hitch and 10K stabilizer bars (after original hitch didn't work out, nor did the original bars), as luckily he had some that worked.

So all in all, really happy. We'll get it checked out for peice of mind (still wintereized, will for a few more weeks...we may still take it out for a maiden voyage as soon as this weekend), and get brakes looked at (seem fine so far) and bearing repacked in the short term...but for our first RV, thrilled to have something unique.
We'll likely do some minor things such as replacing the original carpet...with two dogs its a necessity anyways, but 30 year old carpet would need replacing anyways just due to age...but all in all we want to keep it as original as we can.
lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Congrats on your new toy. We have a 79 Argosy and love her very much. Those wrap around windows are great on rainy days. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will try to answer anything I can. But it sounds like you found a real gem. Good luck and safe travels.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta

Some pics from today..nice and clean/uncluttered for now.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! That's a nice looking trailer - love the vista view windows!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congratulations on the Argy. Friends, Kids, and Camping... What a great combination.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. We are getting our "new" 1978 24 foot Argosy next week, and I can't wait! Ours has a stripe/trim pattern that looks different than most that I have seen, and it is not like yours. I will post pictures when we get it in our possession. Happy camping!

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Congrats on the greaty looking Argosy! They truly are one of a kind...we have a 1974 24' that we have done some major updating too, and we could not love him more. Having a camper with kids is great, there are no better ways to travel. Happy Camping!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
To Ibrownah:
Lucky guy! Yes... lucky... cause if I had seen this trailer before... I would be the owner at this time...!!! Enjoy!!!
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi ,, very nice trailer,,, soft spot for Argosies,,, hope you and your family really enjoy it,,, happy trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Wow she looks great. I like those vista view windows and your strips ARE different from what mine were. The inside looks great.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Thanks for the wishes all...spent two nights this past weekend. Beds, still original, are very comfy. Furnace works well, everything operated well.

With some rain and snow while parked and driving, some water is getting in to the exterior access, I think its coming from the battery door behind it, as its not flush to the trailer, but not able to get the battery door open. Wasn't able to get fridge working, but the prevoius owner has been great with answering questions and will answer these too.

Took a look at the roof to manually put down a "solardome" vent yhat didnt go down properly....appreciate this trailer more...sure some sealant around, but compared to other trailers 5-10 years newer than this that we saw with flat roofs and gallons of caukling on those needed over the years.

Original rug will have to go. With two dogs and the baby, rugs arent a good idea in the first place. This one is in great shape for 31 years old, but with high traffic, something better wearing is needed.

So far so great otherwise!