Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Another New Argosy Member!!!!

Man, am I lucky I found this site!!!

My wife and I were just given a 1976 20' Argosy six metere, which used to be her fathers. It may be a 77, I'm not sure. It has not been used in 10+ years. We do not have a manual for this camper and I have never owned one before. Is there a site I can go to to download one or make any copies?
I have read that rock guards on the front windows are a good idea, and about sagging. I'm not sure if ours is sagging or not. I do know that the fridge is not working, nor is the hot water heater.
Everything else seems to be in working order and we are extremely pleased with her!
She made the trip from DC to Tampa with no problems.
Now I just need to monitor this site and do my homework. Currently, I do not want to dump excessive amounts of money into her, just enough to keep it running.
I appreciate all hints and posts that are made.
Thanks!
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi and Welcome...

Its so nice to see so many Argosy TT owners coming onto the forum!!! We have a 22' Argosy Minuet that we have owned for about a year now and have a Camping love affair with!! If you look thru the forums, you will see one titled something like "Airstreams by make and model" and down toward the bottom of that forum will be All Argosy Trailers. There is a wealth of info including a way for you to determine the year of your particular trailer. We are still learning about ours, but loving the process. You will probibly get quite a few posts to this thread also to help you out. One thing I have learned - no question is too crazy or trivial - all here seem to have a wonderful sense of community and a love of helping. I could probibly answer some of your questions right here, but I think you will enjoy browsing some of the previous posts to get a idea of the wealth of info we are adding here on a daily basis. Hope to see you here often, and once the picture gallery is fixed... a few of your new baby!!! Later, Leigh

PS Can you tell us where you are? we promise not to rally in your driveway.... yet!
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Another New Argosy Member!!!!

Greetings Wardster!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

I am the owner of a '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre as well. I have a fair amount of factory literature on the Minuet series from '77 through '79 so will be happy to look through it if you have a particular question.

Copis of the manuals are available through Secretarial Services at:

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
The above information was quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club web site.

You will need to have your coach's serial number avialble so that you will get the correct manual.

Good luck with your Minuet, and welcome to world of Minuets!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wink frig and water heater

Pull the fridge out and turn it over 5-6 times and then plug it in too 120V and it will probly work. This worked on mine which had been sitting for 5 years, the amonnia / water mix separates and this will mix it.
On the hot water heater, turn the knob past pilot and hold it while lighting, this replaces the hold down on home water heater.
Also remember that it takes a long time for the gas to get to the pilot with only the pilot to draw gas.
Hope these will help.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Water heater

Just a suggestion, but I have found that thermocouples frequently corrode at the electrical contact point at the opposite end of the tube from the flame. Where it enters the regulator.
This connection carries low voltage that a small amount of corrosion here breaks the connection. One of the reasons it may corrode is that there appears to be copper and solder at this point with dissimilar metals. A light polishing with steel wool or a rag, or loosening and wiggling the nut, will frequently fix the connection. Can't hurt to try it. Worked for us on the hot water heater and frig. Ours had sat for a long period also.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote