Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Aluminum Floor Question

I'm working on my 1978 Argosy Minuet, and I think I'm going to lay down half inch plywood to get a more level suface for the flooring. Can anyone tell me how thick the composit aluminum subfloor is? Thanks
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Laminate floor won't work? The aluminum is about 1 inch thick if I remember correctly. Many of us have put laminate flooring down with good results. It is relatively easy to do, evens out the floor, and gets away from the carpet. Not much additional weight added to the trailer which is a consideration with Minuets.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLovedahl View Post
I'm working on my 1978 Argosy Minuet, and I think I'm going to lay down half inch plywood to get a more level suface for the flooring. Can anyone tell me how thick the composit aluminum subfloor is? Thanks
I've seen many people on the forum trying to find an aluminum subfloor Minuets because of the light weight and resistance to rot and decay. You may negatively impact your resale value if you add the weight and potential rot trap of a wood floor.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does the aluminum floor get rid of frame rot caused by soaked insulation? There are various types and thinknesses of laminate. I would think you would want to put it along the long axis of the trailer to take advantage of the added stiffness. I would not add sub floor and try not to floor underneath everything to save weight.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Laminate floor only where you walk. Under the gaucho(s) or in the cabinets is unnecessary. It doesn't seem to matter whether you lay it across the long axis or with the long axis as the width of the planks spreads the weight. Laying on the long axis is a way to find out how irregular the floor plan can be with some interesting cuts necessary to fit to the cabinets, enclosures, etc.

As for frame rot, if water gets and stays under the floor, the frame will suffer. My Minuet had a trashed stove and furnace because of leaks through the vent pipe opening in the roof. The floor was perfect and the frame did not seem to be compromised as the aluminum did not hold the water.