Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

1973 Argosy 26
Batesburg-Leesville , SC
All electric set up

We just purchased a 1973 Argosy 26 shell that we are restoring. Since we are starting from scratch we are considering going all electric and using a generator when we are off grid. Has anyone done this?
Idesign_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, it is really handy to be able to run the reefer on propane. I guess, if you went with a Danfoss 12vdc compressor type and had a big enough battery bank, you could keep things cold.

Heating water with a genset is also going to be a challenge at times. Those resistance type electric water heaters eat a lot of amps.

Not to mention it might get a bit chilly inside without a furnace if you happen to be somewhere with "quiet hours" and can't run electric heat...

Can you? Sure - big enough genset, large enough fuel tank.

Should you? I wouldn't, but To each his own.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Yes you can. I see you live in the south. So do I. Most of mine is electric except the oven/range and tankless water heater which are propane. I have little 12v: water pump, outside door light. Everything else is 120v: frig,a/c with heat pump,interior lights and plugs, microwave.
All electric is possible but may require 50 amp service which is not at many campsites. Having a few appliances on propane makes sense, but I do understand personal preference.
I started mine with just a shell and it allowed me to customize to my families need and preference.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Propane is mighty handy in a trailer, just visit a campground that has full timers and notice the big tanks they're hooked to.

The bottom line is as always, "the bottom line." If you do an all electric setup and want to have the same capabilities as with gas you'll spend a lot of money on batteries, solar, generators, wiring, etc.

Used gas RV appliances are available pretty cheap, household stuff may or may not fit and definitely isn't designed to go down bumpy roads. Plus, extra propane is easier to carry than gasoline.

Personally, I would only do this for something that was going to stay in one place permanently like a cottage behind your house. It would make sense if you could run a 50 amp service and use a big instant hot water heater.

At the end of the day it's your trailer so do what you want. Just realize that if you ever want to sell it your choices may limit what buyers are interested.
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote