Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Smile Alana's 1972 Argosy 20'

Starting this thread as a place to document our "new" Argosy as I fix her up, look for parts, come up with questions and concerns.

Just picked her up last weekend in Minneapolis. All & all, pretty happy with it. The big thing currently is that it needs a new door. It's bent pretty badly on the lower portion, so it doesn't give that nice seal we all love in Airstreams.

It came with the original bill of sale and owner's manual, which was really cool. Apparently it's spent it's entire life in Minnesota.

Eager to test out the lines and see if all the plumbing, pumps, etc. all work. No AC, which is OK. I'd rather it never had one than lug around the weight of an old one that doesn't work.

I've learned 2 things the hard way so far. If you go to look at the camper and the door is open, shut it, lock it, then open it back up again. I blew past this point and figured out the hard way that the PO had glossed over the fact that I would be locked out of it and need to break in with a screwdriver in the middle of the night when I stopped for much needed sleep.

The other thing I learned is that if there are oddly placed wallpaper boarder panels, they're hiding something. Like the badly cracked plastic panel on the galley wall. Ahh well.

I took my daughter and 2 of her friends out in it for the weekend on a birthday trip and had a wonderful time. I love the spacious cabin and how much lighting there is compared to my previous '62 Shasta Airflyte.

Looking forward to learning all I can about this fabulous model. If anyone is looking for a copy of that year's manual, drop a line!

Take care all,

Alana
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post pics of the door and other things you find are problems?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
If this is a case of "sprung door" there are several threads you could search for the fix for that.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Ahh! This is why I LOVE this site! Someone always has help for something you think will be a big deal. Thank you!!!

Will be taking pics today.

Alana
Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1907735672.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	167963

Tried this for my sprung door. Should have put a board across the bottom on the street side. ::crunch:: normally very good about thinking stuff through, but got ahead of myself on that one. The door didn't take to bending back so well. Maybe on a hotter day.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Oh.l.also got in a road trip (work-related) over to the Lansing area this weekend. Took the Argosy along for lodging. Loving this little camper more and more. I think we've finally found just the right one.

Name:	image-2870240629.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	167964

Name:	image-1456661346.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	167965

Name:	image-1647348298.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	167966
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Just a thought:
Would an auto body shop that does frame straightening be able to help with the door? What you did with the straps won't bend the door back, hot day or not. The metal needs to be worked back to the correct shape. Folks that work on car bodies and frames may know how to do this, and do it so that it is bent correctly.
As I said, just a thought.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Alanna,

Welcome to the 20' Argosy lovers club. Mine is a '74 and of all the Airstreams and Argosy's I have owned over the years (lost count, 14, or was it 17) it is my favorite. So much so I did a complete make over a couple of years ago, rather than buying a new AS of the same size. I like the floor plan so much better in the older ones. The 20' Argosy is a keeper.

On your door: If it has been sprung it needs to be re curved. The door needs to be removed from the trailer. The interior panels must be removed as they are part of the structure of the door. After it is set to the proper curvature, the inner panels are re riveted and that holds it into shape. I have not done one, but it is not a simple job. I would consider having it done at the factory in Ohio, or by some dealer who is very experienced in AS repairs. Also, now and then doors show up in the classified ads. You will not have much luck trying to do it in place by the method shown in the photos on this thread.

I will be watching to see what you are doing with it. Great choice.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Yeah---I came up with that method by reading another post in the boards. I figured it was worth a try. Oh well.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Awsome Sticker where did you find it?

jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillwill
Awsome Sticker where did you find it?
Hi Jill, I got it at a little shop in Michigan, but I'm thinking about carrying this line in my store. It sums it up nicely.

I love my Argosy. Fell even more in love this weekend. We went to Warren Dunes, Michigan with several gals from The Loyal Order of the Glamper. We had a shady circle pretty much to ourselves with a nice group of cute little vintage campers. Looking forward to getting the Argosy up to speed, fresh paint, decorated, and spiffed up so I can properly show her off.

My first trip to the dump station was a disaster. Figured out the hookup, pulled the dump valve, it all rushed into the hose...then sprayed all over the place. There was a split in the hose. I'm still grossed out,
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Question Airstream-specific dump hose?

In thinking forward to the spring camping season, I'm remembering that the aftermarket hose did not fit my dump valve properly. Is there an Airstream-specific hose? I'm guessing, just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Alana
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Your Argosy uses Thetford fittings not the similar looking Valdera (not sure of the spelling) types which are much more available. They are usually White in color.

You can still get the proper Thetford fittings at a larger RV place, or on line. There is also a Thetford to Valdera converter for a few dollars.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Rivet Rivet type/size for interior of Argosy door?

Hello fellow Argosy owners. I'm going to be attacking my sprung door sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I'm gathering supplies. Anyone know what type of rivets are used on the door interiors and where to purchase them?

Thank you!

Alana
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Alana's 1972 Argosy 20

Greetings Alana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlchk1 View Post
Hello fellow Argosy owners. I'm going to be attacking my sprung door sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I'm gathering supplies. Anyone know what type of rivets are used on the door interiors and where to purchase them?

Thank you!

Alana
I am not certain, but believe that the rivet of choice is probably 1/8" aluminum pop rivets in white . . . it may be easier to purchase plain aluminum rivets then apply a little nail polish in a color that more closely matches the aged color of the vinyl-clad aluminum. My suggestion would be to contact Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa and ask for Florence or Kristy in the parts department . . . while they no longer handle new Airstreams, they were a long-time Airstream dealer and I believe are now a factory authorized service center. Florence has been able to source many unusual parts for both my Argosy and Airstream . . . rivets should be something common that they will likely have in stock. They are probably the closest Vintage Airstream friendly parts/service source . . . they are about 5 hours from the Quad Cities or 6 hours from Madison, WI.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
Thank you very much, Kevin.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might scout around at your local Home Depot or Lowes for 1/8" pop rivets. I have even found white ones at HD. Get both short and medium lengths and a supply of 1/8" drill bits so you can drill the old rivets out. (If the frame in the door that you rivet the panel to is thick (1/8 - 3/16), you might need the long rivets.) You will need a tool to install the rivets and can find ones that work at Harbor Freight. HD and Lowes likely have the tool as well. The dimple in the head of the pop rivet makes it easy to drill out. After you do a few of the rivets, you will be a pro.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Congrats on your Argosy purchase! I am looking forward to taking mine out this year! I am a novice/new airstream owner and will be using this forum for answers/etc. Been off the forum for two years but I have returned. Welcome aboard! You will love your Argosy!
ArgosyMinuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I've been away from the forums for a while, but I did stumble on this thread. We love our 72 Argosy 20. Spent a lot of time (and money) getting her where we want her, though we're still not quite finished. It's a process... Anyway, if you get stuck on something, you've come to the right place. These forums are the best source of info for your project.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Hey bobfowler, welcome back. Us argosy owners like pics, let's see what you got!! And pxlchk1, give us an update.