Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After the inaugural trip

Hi again.
We had a successful july 4th outing in the "new" trailer.
I only had a couple of problems, and only one seems to be an " Airstream" thing. The univolt quit charging or putting out voltage of any kind on day 2. I got into the closet where it is located, and found a screw had burned off on the inside of the case. It started working again when I gently pushed on the screw head with an insulated screwdriver. Has anyone had any success taking these things apart and repairing them, or am I better off to just buy another one?
The other problem wqas the toilet ran (dribbled) all weekend and the black water tank overflowed. Yuck!
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Problems

If I had a Univolt that old and with problems, I would replace it with a modern converter. The new converters are quiet, reliable, and put out a much cleaner DC voltage. I wouldn't bother replacing it with a Univolt.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
My 76 overlander has a replacement charger and it's called a Magnatek. I just discovered it a few days ago and was sorry it wasn't a "univolt". Should I be?
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander76
My 76 overlander has a replacement charger and it's called a Magnatek. I just discovered it a few days ago and was sorry it wasn't a "univolt". Should I be?
IMHO, No. Magnatek is a good state of the art converter. There is nothing magic about Univolt.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-11-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
the univolt-less

Okay, I guess I am going to be ripping out my Univolt, and going "in search of" this weekend.
Right after I fix the toilet...
Thanks for the advice.
Terry
(in Florida)
Old 07-11-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
magnatek is a univolt

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander76
my '92 has a magnatek as standard equipment.

therefore it is a "univolt" according to my manual.

it is a fine unit and works as intended.

just check your water levels every four weeks or so...

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Re: After the inaugural trip

Quote:
Originally posted by argosy20
Hi again.
We had a successful july 4th outing in the "new" trailer.
I only had a couple of problems, and only one seems to be an " Airstream" thing. The univolt quit charging or putting out voltage of any kind on day 2. I got into the closet where it is located, and found a screw had burned off on the inside of the case. It started working again when I gently pushed on the screw head with an insulated screwdriver. Has anyone had any success taking these things apart and repairing them, or am I better off to just buy another one?
The other problem wqas the toilet ran (dribbled) all weekend and the black water tank overflowed. Yuck!
Terry
(in Florida)
if all you have is a bad terminal you can repair it.

i'll dig up the tread!

john
Old 07-11-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
here it is.

john
Old 07-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The Univolt (Triad)

I pulled my Univolt out yesterday, and it turned out it was made by a company called Triad. It has a 30 amp rating, and was riveted together (kind of like our trailers).
Anyway, I was going to head out to my local dealer to pick one up, and decided to open it up and see what had happened to it.
It turned out that the 12v+ lead had either been not tightened enough at the factory, or had worked loose through vibration.
The resulting loose connection had acted like an arc welder, and burned the end of the lead off. I replaced the lead, installed a new bolt, riveted the thing back together, and re-installed it in the trailer. It is now happily humming away in the bathroom closet again.
Sometimes, you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. This time, I got the bear.
If and when it finally does take the big crappolla, I can use it as an anchor for my boat. Man, is it heavy!
Thanks for all the info, I am glad I didn't need to replace it though. Now I can continue saving that cash for a new axle.
Terry
(in Florida)
Old 07-13-2003, 08:42 AM   #10
Contributing Member

Univolt Weight

Quote:
If and when it finally does take the big crappolla, I can use it as an anchor for my boat. Man, is it heavy!
That is one advantage of the current generation of converters. Not only do they put out a much better DC level, but they also weigh a fraction of what the old ones weighed.

Many things with solid-state rcuit boards (TVs, refrigerators, etc.) may work better with the new converters because of a lot less ripple on the DC voltage.
WBCCI #9632