Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Bunk beds were an option on Argosys for a couple of years. I imagine they used the same parts they use for standard Airstreams.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Here is a source for tambour doors:
TAMBOUR DOORS AND TRACKS
They are wood, but google under tambour may turn up more.
As I posted in another post, the problem with the undersink doors is that they can bind if the tracks are not aligned properly. If the tracks aren't parallel the top can slip out of track which then allows the bottom to bind. When you consider that the top of the door is gripped to close it you can see how the force tends to throw the bottom of the door down. Closing the door with a slight lift can make even the unparallel ones work better, but good luck getting folks to do that consistently.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Janet, I have never seen Airstream bunks so now will look for them to compare. We decided to remove for now and will determine later if we want the "storage". Doesn't seem like it with six bins under the beds and two more under the dinette.

Argonaut, thanks for the link to tambour. We're gonna chase this down and see if we can't eliminate the particle core laminate doors. They're heavy, ugly, and use up floor space when you use them. And besides, they're just not right.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Hi Jim - Let me know when you start to work on your window guards and I will share my experience with you. Would probably be best to send me a personal email - I get extra busy for weeks at a time and don't get a chance to catch up on this site. Carol
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
I'd be glad to hear about your window guards too. Congratulations!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
For a good description of how to mount a rock guard, check out the posts on
How to modify and install rock guard on minuet
by Janet. While it is on a Minuet, the instructions were very good for the install in general. You can buy the rock guard from Oasis RV, Inland RV, Griffith's RV repair, or other dealers/repair shops. It is a great add on. I can tell you from experience you DON'T want to have to replace one of those wing windows. They are expensive and plain ones are pretty close to impossible to find. Then you have the fun of mounting this expensive window in the trailer.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We took the tambour out and used it to make new swinging doors for under the sink. I love them as they give me access to all that storage without having to worry if the tambour will slide right "this time".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00030.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	49015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00035.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	49016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	49017  
Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20
For a good description of how to mount a rock guard, check out the posts on
How to modify and install rock guard on minuet
by Janet. While it is on a Minuet, the instructions were very good for the install in general. You can buy the rock guard from Oasis RV, Inland RV, Griffith's RV repair, or other dealers/repair shops. It is a great add on. I can tell you from experience you DON'T want to have to replace one of those wing windows. They are expensive and plain ones are pretty close to impossible to find. Then you have the fun of mounting this expensive window in the trailer.
here's that link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nuet-9638.html

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I have a 75 Argosy 24T. Mine has dinette and the PO installed bunk beds in mine. I believe I would have no problem sleeping 6 kids as long as 4 of them are about 10 yrs and younger and also sleep two adults.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
Fuil-Timers

Carol, thanks for the helpful offer, we may just pm you when we get a line on some sunglasses for Snow White.

Janet, thanks for posting the instructions. this forum is so incredibly helpful to me thanks to you and the other prolific posters and moderators. What a force!

Juel, a picture worth a thousand words! I wouldn't have thought of putting the tambour back if my doors looked anything one-quarter a nice as yours. Those are so nice. We don't have to have the tambour, it is pretty obviously a weak point with the dimensions and location. If the tambour were the best solution my Argosy and yours wouldn't have the problem necessitating replacing it, eh? THanks for the picture of such nice doors -- I'm inspired and re-directed.

But, first I have two solar panels begging to be installed on our 25. If only I could get Solatron to work out with me what they are doing about the warranty . . . Hopefully really soon -- this week we have temperatures between sixty and seventy (Farenheit) all week. Can't last, you think?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your great posts. (whoops, I just remembered we haven't posted our pics of Snow White. I promise we will this week.)

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
Fuil-Timers

We have pictures now

We have our pictures posted in Airforums Argosy photos under dreamstreamer or Snow White. Also I'll try to post links to my picasaweb photos when I figure it out later.

Jim Cocke,
International President
dreamstreamr.com
Old 11-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
I also have a 77 Argosy 24 with a rear bath, twin beds, and a front dinette. I am in the process of fixing her up. I would love to add the bunks to it. For now I've put new foam on the beds, replaced the yellow carpet with pergo, and I am working on dinette cushions. The fridge and ac work. I fixed the wallpaper where it was peeling and that's as far as I've gotten. I still have a lot to do.
Would anyone know how to fix a crack in the bathroom countertop? It's all 1 plastic piece and I'm not sure if it can be fixed or replaced. Anyone have a similar problem?